Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Reserves is ok but I just accepted an offer for a really awesome internship that comes with full benefits and probably a permanent position after I graduate doing exactly what I want to do. They'll even let me keep benefits and some pay for the rest of the year after the internship is over. Basically, it rocks.

I was thinking about putting in an AT waiver for this year because between school, interning, and recovering from getting hurt last year I haven't had time to do anything. However.....

Today I got to watch my chief flip his poo poo over someone giving him a heads up that he didnt think he could do AT this year. Kid is recovering from being homeless and is afraid that 2 weeks of AT within the first month of starting might jeopardize their first ever adult job. Chief said that their number one priority should be the Navy Reserves and that they were going on AT. That same person only recently stopped living out of their car.

Last year I waived AT due to completely loving up my ankle. I'm actually expecting to get med-boarded any day now since I've been LLD for over a year even though I should be cleared within a month or two. My chief also gave a speech today about how we're downsizing and any reason they have to kick people out is going to be pursued. Not long after that, I burnt a lot of my built up good-will by telling him I wasn't skipping a week of school to go to an all-hands call to repeat training I'd already done. Also, all of our AT slots are 15 days long anyway so it wouldn't help me get my 2 weeks done since I'd end up doing 3 weeks total.

Needless to say, I'm kind of thinking of just putting in for IRR. Anyone have experience going SELRES to IRR? I've already done a decade of active duty time so I can route the chit any time. I need to stay SELRES until my internship starts in May so I have a little time as long as ~drama~ doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

Did you take a bonus when you affiliated with the RC from AD? That would be the only real obstacle beyond your CoC for going SELRES -> IRR. You could also look at dropping a 6 month AA chit if that strikes your fancy.

Without knowing the exact circumstances I'd say that khaki sounds like a tool who is going with a boilerplate statement instead of trying to help. That is the one thing I wasn't prepared for dealing with in the RC is Sailors with families or lives that were totally hosed. Was easier on AD since you knew they were getting a paycheck (even if it was allotted to 29% APR cars and other stupid poo poo) and coming into work (so you saw them and talked to them) but, hard when you want to help and only see them monthly. Should know when to jettison jetsam but is difficult.

Nope! I came into a field that was at CREO3 manning and am told every year that if I ever want to MAKE CHIEF HOOYAH that I need to crossrate.

What is this 6 month AA thing you speak of?
Is it where you just take AAs for 6 months, keep benefits, and get a bad year unless you make up points otherwise?

FWIW, I don't give a gently caress about retirement, rank, or anything beyond TRICARE paying for my wife's medicine until corporate healthcare kicks in. My contract extends just beyond graduation and there is zero chance of reenlisting. I'm just here to avoid taking out a student loan to pay for healthcare costs.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

yw

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

My Reserves OIC was a BUD/S washout. He's extremely in shape, maxes every part of the PRT, works as a SWAT cop now.

I assume this story is true:
He says he failed out because they were doing some cold water immersion thing and he went unconscious. He woke up in the ICU at the local hospital. Apparently he had developed hypothermia and either his liver or kidneys had failed, I forgot which. He pulled the IVs out, fell out of his bed, and was intercepted by the orderlies while trying to crawl to the door. They said he was screaming "gotta get back to the beach" over and over again until they sedated him.

He ended up being redesignated into a SWO, did his mandatory time, then got out.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

SpaceJustice posted:

So my first week of being back in college is pretty great so far. I feel really old comparatively though (not as old as Ket though).

What.

I'm still in my 20s... for a few more months at least

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

buttplug posted:

I was in a bar in DC about a month ago talking to some chick for a few minutes. She asked what I did for a living, and literally as soon as the words rolled off my lips she turned around immediately and walked away. True story. And she wasn't even that cook looking....DC chicks just tend to be total cunts 80% of the time. Also true story.

you told her about the malware didnt you

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Commoners posted:

This exact same thing happened to me too, but if you got an E4 advancement they have a pretty solid case against you as far as keeping you in the Navy.

I can't remember exactly what it is, but I ended up not signing anything after they did a little digging and figured out what was going on.

One of my friends was supposed to OBLISERV for a 36 month "shore" duty tour that he didn't want to go to. He signed the paperwork on the ship but it never made it into his record. He noticed after reporting that his EAOS never changed and brought it up. Eventually, they tried to make him sign an OBLIVSERV paper the day after he got hosed over for something unrelated so he was in a lovely mood... so he said "nope."

He got poo poo on by the chain of command for it and almost caved. He figured since he'd already gone through the worst of it with the CoC that he'd stick to his guns and ride it out no matter how much they hosed with him.

He got out and was immediately hired. The Navy is just a distant memory for him now.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

So, pretty much you never have to sign anything and if someone in admin fucks up the paperwork it's on them and not you?

I am not a legal person but it worked out for my friend in that particular circumstance. I'm sure they could've hosed him substantially worse than the mild yelling at he got.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

I know, I use your Nuke experience as a general warning for some of my friends. So far everyone has ended up either failing out because the math is hard

?

The hardest math is having to use the "sin" "cos" and "tan" buttons on your calculator if you're an EM. Everything else is arithmetic, basic algebra, and the occasional logarithm that you type into your calculator. It's 10th grade math.

If they try to say "but it's nuclear physics!" then politely tell them its not. It's an algebra-based interpretation of nuclear physics where the hardest thing you have to do is multiply numbers together or use the square root button on their calculator.

Only reason nuke school is hard is that they cram a lot of material into a short amount of time.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

piss headed animal

P good username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

i am sorry to break it to you but i was referring to "piss headed animal"