Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ditch posted:

Stan Lee?!

He would never run out of peanuts, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ditch posted:

Stan Lee?!

Yup, Stan Lee wrote a parody of soap opera comic strips. It's being posted over in the Comic Strips 2024 thread if you want to know more. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050878&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=174#post538965713

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Jack Kirby drew Romance Comics for a few years, not just comics that were about romance, but a book titled Romance Comics. It sold about 10 times as many issues a month as anything published by the big two today.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
And yet we can barely get anyone to read she hulk now

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If you want people to read your romance comic, you should probably publish it on Webtoon.

That’s were the romance comic readers are right now

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of She-Hulk

She-Hulk #7 (2022)

The doombot being incredibly dapper for no reason is my favorite part.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

site posted:

And yet we can barely get anyone to read she hulk now

I’m doing my part. And everyone else should too!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

She-Hulk seems to be doing well, or at least better than Marvel anticipated given it survived to a second volume. Won me over, and I was on the fence about it for a long time.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

SimonChris posted:

Speaking of She-Hulk

The doombot being incredibly dapper for no reason is my favorite part.

Two tone dress shoes are always a winner. I insisted on wearing them for my wedding and couldn't be happier.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Air Skwirl posted:

Jack Kirby drew Romance Comics for a few years, not just comics that were about romance, but a book titled Romance Comics. It sold about 10 times as many issues a month as anything published by the big two today.

Didn't just draw them, he and Simon pioneered them. Young Romance kicked off an unbelievably popular genre.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Myok posted:

Two tone dress shoes are always a winner. I insisted on wearing them for my wedding and couldn't be happier.

He's wearing spats, hence no visible laces. The shoes are black because he's not a clown.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Roxxon presents THOR #1

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Roxxon presents THOR #1

The issue has a lot of prime panels and quotes for this thread.

Art sidenote:
Normally Greg Land's presence in comic books boils my brain, but him drawing what is, in-universe, a soulless corporate takeover of Thor's character, is strangely fitting.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

He's wearing spats, hence no visible laces. The shoes are black because he's not a clown.

Sounds like someone bought into Beau Brummel's line of marketing

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Roxxon presents THOR #1

This was everything I was hoping it would be and then some. It is a bit weird to have an anti-capitalist message in a Marvel comic, not to mention acknowledgement that corporations making fun of themselves is a way for them to distract from the harm they're doing, but I'll take what I can get.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

This was everything I was hoping it would be and then some. It is a bit weird to have an anti-capitalist message in a Marvel comic, not to mention acknowledgement that corporations making fun of themselves is a way for them to distract from the harm they're doing, but I'll take what I can get.

Marvel comics have had anti-capitalist messages for decades. Sometimes they're ultra blatant, and other times the writers are sneaking what they can past the editors. But this is hardly anything new.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Roxxon presents THOR #1

I'm not passing a chance to post Mini Marvels in 2024.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SilverSupernova posted:

Marvel comics have had anti-capitalist messages for decades. Sometimes they're ultra blatant, and other times the writers are sneaking what they can past the editors. But this is hardly anything new.

I'm not passing a chance to post Mini Marvels in 2024.

Soon Odin will be getting mad rutty with the social worker.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #40 (1946)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Myok posted:

You may already know this, but if you're specifically searching for two-tone dress shoes, look for "spectators."

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Soon Odin will be getting mad rutty with the social worker.
I got that reference!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SilverSupernova posted:

I feel like it was different earlier though when, even when they were owned by Perlmutter and certainly not broke, still weren't the biggest things in the world. Now they're owned by one of the largest entertainment companies on Earth.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Superman #11 (1987)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, i can't blame her. who can resist the living embodiment of the 80's?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, i can't blame her. who can resist the living embodiment of the 80's?

If I remember correct that was Mister Mxyzptlk

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
drat, Lois was ice cold in some of these older comics.

Then again, I suppose it's only fair, Clark also is a super-rear end in a top hat in a lot of those golden/silver age ones too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd go to lunch with Razor Ramon over some nerd reporter, too. Can't blame her tbh

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
maybe clark should learn how to give a foot massage

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

site posted:

maybe clark should learn how to give a foot massage

"Ow! Clark, you're doing it too fast and too roughly. Great, now my foot's on fire."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TwoPair posted:

drat, Lois was ice cold in some of these older comics.

Then again, I suppose it's only fair, Clark also is a super-rear end in a top hat in a lot of those golden/silver age ones too.

Those are the NEW Superman, from... 20 years ago... in the 1980s.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I always greet my new coworkers with a friendly foot massage

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

SimonChris posted:

Superman #11 (1987)

That’s the Beyonder, right? drat was John Byrne a petty guy…. Between that and Sunspot in Legends, he really wanted to make sure people knew he hated Shooter.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

That's not DeRoy, that's

Endless Mike posted:

I'd go to lunch with Razor Ramon over some nerd reporter, too. Can't blame her tbh
..goddamnit :mad:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GPTribefan posted:

That’s the Beyonder, right? drat was John Byrne a petty guy…. Between that and Sunspot in Legends, he really wanted to make sure people knew he hated Shooter.

Beyonder was Marvel. That was Mxy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Look at the guys name and read Secret Wars II.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

ImpAtom posted:

Right. But anagram his name - Ben Deroy? It was Byrne take another potshot at Shooter and his pet character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Son of a….

I was trying to figure out if that name tipped off that it was Mxy, and didn’t catch that.