Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

My main beef with cat Beast was that there seemed to be no consistent model. Most artists drew him wildly differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

So was this one drawn by the guy who animates Family Guy?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Cat beast is better, but I'm the weirdo who liked that donkey beast that showed up for two panels in SWORD or something.

No, Goat Beast = Best Beast

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Archenteron posted:

I was thinking the same exact thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Archenteron posted:

I was going to say it can't be because there isn't a smugbrow, but there it is.

[Incredible Hulk #361]

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant believe you left the panel out immediately after of Steve Rogers losing his poo poo over Cannonball and Sunspot's antics.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

So why the long face?

But of course, the worst version was the goofy, lopsided future Beast from Battle Of The Atom.

"Hurr"

Complete with weird tail.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kitty!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Whatever happened to Morrison's 'secondary mutations' anyway? Tossed aside and forgotten like Daredevil's third costume and Bruce Jones' Hulk run?

What happened to Jones' run isn't a panel but it's funny in a black, petty way. Jones' run was far from perfect, but it started strong (I remember that there was a fair bit of praise for 'Return Of The Monster', Issue #36 I believe that was), and while it sort of petered out it had stuff like bringing Betty Ross back from the dead. Then Jones leaves and Peter David comes back and writes an arc where Nightmare shows up and says 'I've been making you imagine things for years! Go me! Ha ha ha!" and just like that Jones' run never happened. It was the most MEAN and spiteful nerd retcon I've ever seen in comics.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Whatever happened to Morrison's 'secondary mutations' anyway?

The only thing that remained from Morrison's run was that Emma Frost is kinda the good guy now. Marvel pretty much burned down New X-Men and salted the ground afterwards.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Alhazred posted:

The only thing that remained from Morrison's run was that Emma Frost is kinda the good guy now. Marvel pretty much burned down New X-Men and salted the ground afterwards.

This isn't even remotely true, excuding the inital Xorn reversal pretty much everything else has stuck and with the exception of Bendis (and only because I quit on his run) pretty much every main X-Men writer has said Morrison has been their main influence.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I want to punch this picture and everyone who ever saw it.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Grendels Dad posted:

I want to punch this picture and everyone who ever saw it.

It looks like it should say "Je suis Charlie Hebdo" or "9/11 never forget" across the bottom.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

:furcry:

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

This isn't even remotely true, excuding the inital Xorn reversal pretty much everything else has stuck and with the exception of Bendis (and only because I quit on his run) pretty much every main X-Men writer has said Morrison has been their main influence.

I disagree. With "no more mutants", Marvel editorial completely abandoned the basic premise of Morrison's X-Men run. Instead of mutants being on the verge of inheriting the earth from humanity, they became a doomed and irrelevant offshoot. No more school, no more Mutant Town, no more futurism. The X-titles still haven't fully recovered from that move.

Panel tax:

Spidey Hostess ad from March and April 1976 cover date Marvel titles. Cap ad from July and August 1976 titles.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Servoret posted:

I disagree. With "no more mutants", Marvel editorial completely abandoned the basic premise of Morrison's X-Men run. Instead of mutants being on the verge of inheriting the earth from humanity, they became a doomed and irrelevant offshoot. No more school, no more Mutant Town, no more futurism. The X-titles still haven't fully recovered from that move.

But they undid No More Mutants? And there is an X-Men school, Quiten Quire still goes there and they are re-starting the Mutant City (again). The inheriting the Earth thing will be pushed aside because it's all Inhumans now but the school, mutants whose powers are to look weird, Fantomex and The World, it's all still there. Jean is still dead, Xavier is still outed. Like Aaron did a 50 plus run for years which was a Morrison sequel. Certain things were going to never happen but Morrison's run has been the most influential on all the X-books for the last decade.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I just wish they kept whedon's changes around. It's been, what, 40 years? Cyclops should have a handle on this poo poo by now.

AFAIK, danger and sword were all that stuck.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Can we post more Rockslide panels, please? I like that issue of Avengers Academy where the Jean Grey School comes over to play football, where he pranks Mettle a bit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Marvel didn't even try to hide that they were burying New x-Men:

(Astonishing X-Men #1)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alhazred posted:

(Astonishing X-Men #1)

New X-Men very specifically had costumes though, that's a burn against the movies

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Alhazred posted:

(Astonishing X-Men #1)

I just noticed the quite frankly/Frank Quitely jab. Assuming it was intentional.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Opopanax posted:

New X-Men very specifically had costumes though, that's a burn against the movies

Morrison explicitly said he wanted the X-Men out of the costumes and into leather jackets.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I guess they kind of did start to go that route, maybe I'm mistaken

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Cyclops was always my favorite X-Man. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, yet all rear end in a top hat all the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You'd have thought Marvel would have learned their lesson the first time they put a team into matching jackets.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Cyclops was always my favorite X-Man. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, yet all rear end in a top hat all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpnXVxWJNkA

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Futurism is stupid anyway.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It is when you are writing a perpetual minority stand-in that plays on the fear that there will never be enough of you to make a difference and that the system will eventually destroy you.

Morison's X-Men run is the worst thing he's ever written and the best thing it did was temporarily get everyone on track when he left.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Let's not jump to conclusions, Morrison's written a lot of terrible poo poo. At least New X-Men had a decipherable plot, dumb as it was sometimes.

Plus, Beak.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cabbit posted:

Plus, Beak.

Counterpoint: Angel, AKA the reason why you should think about what powers they have when adding diversity to your superhero cast.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

Scott and Emma are perfect for each other.

[something from fraction's x-men i think, don't know the issue]

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Archenteron posted:

"Holy crap! Trying to figure out how to stop the incursions is as frustrating as the time I played Guess Who? with Matt Murdock!"

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Can we post more Rockslide panels, please? I like that issue of Avengers Academy where the Jean Grey School comes over to play football, where he pranks Mettle a bit.

I did a readthrough of New X-Men volume 2 recently, and I was tempted to post every panel of Rockslide dialogue as I went along. Maybe I'll go back and find some decent ones to post.

Avengers Academy #38

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There was also a good comedy groin shot in that issue.

And super heroes goofing around.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then he died in a lovely spinoff. Yay

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't really read comic books, at least not regularly, but I did by chance get into Avengers Academy early on and follow it for a while since it was fun and easy to follow. Probably because it followed new characters and there wasn't some byzantine canon you had to keep track of, the kids' whole stories were in those books. I eventually dropped it knowing that couldn't last. Hearing ~comics~ caught up to the characters eventually makes me sad, but not surprised.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No but you see Hazmat not overcoming the fears the school had for her is really surprising yet logical because

Yeah, I got nothing. Marvel saw the Hunger Games make a bajillion dollars and jumped on the bandwagon.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Avengers Academy was legit a great run and it made me read comics again. I really like stuff that stands mostly on its own.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Love the reference to the Collossus eating a sandwich panel with Wolverine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Why is he called mettle? Because we can see what he's made of?