Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

"No. I am offering you a truly transcendental experience which will open your mind to new perspectives... Via drugs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Justice League of America #26 (2008)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SimonChris posted:

Lex (short for Lexmark B3340dw Black and White Laser Printer) Luthor never ceases to amaze.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SimonChris posted:

This is actually a reference to a character that DC floated in the 70s where he had dual identities where a white bigot would turn into a black superhero. DC asked Tony Isabella to write the series but he told them they were nuts and convinced them to scrap the concept and let him create his own black superhero which turned into Black Lightning.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

This is actually a reference to a character that DC floated in the 70s where he had dual identities where a white bigot would turn into a black superhero. DC asked Tony Isabella to write the series but he told them they were nuts and convinced them to scrap the concept and let him create his own black superhero which turned into Black Lightning.

I'm not saying this just because it's Easter and it's a funny response, but Jesus Christ.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
From the horse's mouth:

https://tonyisabella.blogspot.com/2012/06/yet-another-black-lightning-interview.html posted:

DC was planning to launch a book called Black Bomber, featuring a
white racist who turned into a black super-hero without either of
his identities being aware of the other. It was easily one of the
most offensive concepts I’d ever seen...and DC had already bought
two really awful scripts for this character. The company wanted me
to rewrite those scripts and then continue writing the series. On
reading the scripts and seeing the basketball uniform costume which
had been designed for the Bomber, I declined. Indeed, I begged DC
to write off those scripts and go with a new hero of my creation.

What convinced them was when I asked them if DC really wanted its
first headline black super-hero to be a white racist? The company
gave me three weeks to come up with something better. Which I did.
Without any input from DC.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Leonardo: Blind Sight #3 (2006)

Always accept drugs from old cool rats who can kick your rear end

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Adventures into the Unknown #92 (1958)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Adventures into the Unknown #92 (1958)

"He rejected it, and now Pac-Man is coming to slaughter him for his dissent"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

How very Grant Morrison

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bushmiller wrote mostly for old people. Since those tend to be deaf, he had to shout like that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Remember when Sluggo was lit and everyone thought "New" Nancy would be not dogshit?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nancy seems like a pretty good comic strip as far as I’ve seen.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Remember when Sluggo was lit and everyone thought "New" Nancy would be not dogshit?

they were right.

also old Nancy is pretty great a lot of the time too

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Nancy seems like a pretty good comic strip as far as I’ve seen.

It has its moments, but reading day to day can get a bit repetitive. Jaimes definitely has a handful of joke formats she likes to stick to.

It's still vastly better than the previous creator.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Are all the comments under Nancy boomers complaining about Aunt Fritzi no longer being hot?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah, they were right, it's not dogshit like it was when that weird overbearing christian guy was running it.

Like don't get me wrong, it's not amazing it anything, but "occasionally funny* is pretty close to the peak of the artform when it comes to newspaper strips.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Begemot posted:

"occasionally funny* is pretty close to the peak of the artform when it comes to newspaper strips.

If you just look at the major (Anglo-)syndicated strips being made these days, sure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you just look at the major (Anglo-)syndicated strips being made these days, sure.

Given that this is an anglophone dominated forum, not many of us are reading whatever hilarious poo poo is being published in the French or German daily papers.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Those of you who aren't already following it should consider reading the comic strip megathread.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

and so...

Superman #3 (1987)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Clark: "This is my good coat, Ma made it herself, you dick"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I like the implication that Darkseid doesn't comprehend that someone might have more than one outfit.

"Superman wears a cape, not a comfy jacket. Clearly my omega beams aren't working."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Have you ever seen anyone from Apokolips wearing anything different from Kirby's original designs?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Uthor posted:

Have you ever seen anyone from Apokolips wearing anything different from Kirby's original designs?

Unfortunately, yes.

They keep trying to give Darkseid "cool" armor suits in modern iterations. The one time Kirby gives someone a relatively simple outfit, and everyone is trying to get him into overdesigned techno-armor all the time, it's so annoying.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Doesn't Darkseid usually wear more of a tunic/skirt kind of deal?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Uthor posted:

Just some Darkseid examples:

I don't like them very much.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I've never quite figured out if he has purple skin and is really just wearing a halter top, briefs and stripper boots, but only his face is rocky, or if he's wearing a purple body suit under his gogo attire, but also for some reason the rest of him isn't, you know, rocky.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Suleman posted:

Just some Darkseid examples:

I don't like them very much.

Those last two just feel like they're biting really hard off Marvel's Apocalypse, replacing the A with the Omega sign.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I dislike the armored look, because his optimal outfit is the tunic and miniskirt. Why? It allows him to manspread on the nearest throne, sofa, or armchair, his natural posture of repose.

Darkseid is! And if you don't believe me, you can look at the Google image search.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
If I was one of the most powerful beings in the universe, I’d just rock a thong. What are you gonna do about it? Get eye beamed bitch.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The thing with Darkseid is, he shouldn't need to be dressed like he's about to throw down. He's an evil mastermind of unfathomable power. He acts through catspaws and manipulation and plans that operate beyond the bounds of physical comprehension. If he's got to throw down, something has gone quite wrong with whatever his current scheme is.

However, if he's got to throw down, he also doesn't need to be armored up because he's loving Darkseid. He's nigh invincible, possessed natural weapons and abilities far beyond mortal means, and is literally a god. The only way he's supposed to lose is when it's less costly than what it would take for him to win, or when the good guys come at him from a completely unpredictable angle. Armor actually makes him look WEAKER, overall.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Joe Fisto posted:

If I was one of the most powerful beings in the universe, I’d just rock a thong. What are you gonna do about it? Get eye beamed bitch.

That Doc Manhattan sure is a tastemaker.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

That Doc Manhattan sure is a tastemaker.

Do you think Jon made his dick bigger after the accident?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Philippe posted:

Do you think Jon made his dick bigger after the accident?

The accident? You mean when Jon drank a mug of cum?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Admiralty Flag posted:

I dislike the armored look, because his optimal outfit is the tunic and miniskirt. Why? It allows him to manspread on the nearest throne, sofa, or armchair, his natural posture of repose.

Darkseid is! And if you don't believe me, you can look at the Google image search.

I feel the sofa thing is because he can't keep comfy furniture on Apokalips, either for the image or because it just gets covered in parademon poop, so he takes advantage of them while off planet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

I feel the sofa thing is because he can't keep comfy furniture on Apokalips, either for the image or because it just gets covered in parademon poop, so he takes advantage of them while off planet.

parade mon noix

l'ol gotém

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Darkseid cares little for such comforts, but it amuses him to make use of other people's furniture in such a way that it never feels right after having been molded to the contours of his buttocks.

Just a small taste of the anguish and suffering that awaits when all is one under Darkseid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The accident? You mean when Jon drank a mug of cum?

It's May 30th, 1990. I'm going to give birth to a litter of healthy puppies.

I am tired of these Mondays, this lasagna.