Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Choco1980 posted:

iirc, it was a joint program between the US and Canada, but the US pulled out in like, the fifties.

Location chat, I'm in Michigan, so I have the Great Lakes Avengers to protect me! :confuoot:

In Marvel, we're screwed. DC we're pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SynthOrange posted:

What actually happens is even stupider.

His girlfriend gets kidnapped by Dormammu's sister Umar.
To defeat Umar he releases Zom, destruction incarnate.
Umar sees this then runs away. Zom decides to pulverize Earth instead.
The Ancient One, Strange's master gets himself killed and gives a cryptic clue 'Give Zom a haircut'
Strange does this, and apparently PURE EVIL MAGIC is contained in the hair.
Because he released evil magic into the world, the Living Tribunal shows up and says 'Welp, gonna blow up Earth, its the only way to clean up this mess.'
Strange convinces him not to if he can clean up the mess himself. He does this by finding Baron Mordo and concentrating all the evil in him instead.
This gives Mordo super evil powers and banishes Strange to another dimension.
Also The Living Tribunal left a giant hourglass at Stonehenge so they know how much time they have.

They're part of the SHIELD collection since they were originally printed in a double feature, STRANGE TALES. The Dr Strange stories are so bad. I'm up to the point where there's a change in writers and artists though and its improved remarkably.

You shut your god damned mouth, early Dr.Strange is a loving treasure, it's weird as hell comics written by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, the only thing that compares is Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

dordreff posted:

He has not displayed his super-badonkadonk-having powers yet, no.

But... anything a spider can...

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

I imagine the comic would have him being impressed by the creamsicle, possibly as part of a "hostess fruit cake" scenario, but it's way funnier if you read it as him being totally dissapointed and sarcastic about it.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 17, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Die Laughing posted:

In Marvel, we're screwed. DC we're pretty good though.

Well yeah, we have the Marvel Family across the lake in WI (pretty close for someone who can fly fast) and then in Detroit we have John Stewart, who almost never screws up. almost :smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think the only thing for Portland in either universe is that we were hit by an old age bomb once.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Plus justice League Detroit.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

AnonSpore posted:

But... anything a spider can...

Maybe just not that spider.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mind the walrus posted:

Goggles guy on the left is the best for the total shock and awe reaction, like Spiderman's denial of bootyliciousness is as shocking as him pulling out the ultimate nullifier. Everyone else is just "what is this bullshit?"

If it bothered Black Bolt that much surely he'd say something!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Black Bolt appreciates booty in all its forms, as befits a benevolent king

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

Booty Bolt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mind the walrus posted:

Mostly he just liked getting Medusa to have to compliment dudes on their badonkadonks on his behalf.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He orders her to use her hair to gently squeeze each booty of each subject while in his presence. It's considered a Royal Atillian handshake

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

prefect posted:

I'm hoping for him to do his very best Hugh Laurie impression. :pray:

This would also be acceptable.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've never read his solo stuff, but when Strange showed up in Howard the Duck I absolutely read his dialogue in Orpheus' voice.

I think it's really a curse, it's like how you can't hear batman without thinking of Conroy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Choco1980 posted:

Well yeah, we have the Marvel Family across the lake in WI (pretty close for someone who can fly fast) and then in Detroit we have John Stewart, who almost never screws up. almost :smith:

Guy Gardner went to college in Michigan. Jason Rusche Firestorm, Vibe, Commander Steel, the newer Crimson Avenger. Usually if they aren't white, there's a good chance they're from Detroit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

if they aren't white, there's a good chance they're from Detroit.

New thread title plz

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Guy Gardner went to college in Michigan. Jason Rusche Firestorm, Vibe, Commander Steel, the newer Crimson Avenger. Usually if they aren't white, there's a good chance they're from Detroit.

Guy is from Baltimore which is almost as bad as Detroit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
If you're willing to accept other superhero universes, Detroit's the big central city in Champions. Granted, it did get there by getting royally hosed up back in the seventies and needing a herculean revlbuilding effort.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cleretic posted:

If you're willing to accept other superhero universes, Detroit's the big central city in Champions. Granted, it did get there by getting royally hosed up back in the seventies and needing a herculean revlbuilding effort.

Too bad this universe never rebuilt it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm from North Carolina, which means my state's native superhero is...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterball_(Emery_Schaub)

:smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Seattle has an actual superhero, and by actual superhero I mean mediocre MMA douchebag in a mask who picks fights with drunks.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I could swear they had the Silversmith in Boston in an issue of Astro City.

And Invincible's Wonder Woman lived up here before her untimely end.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

Seattle has an actual superhero, and by actual superhero I mean mediocre MMA douchebag in a mask who picks fights with drunks.

Sure, JJJ.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

You shut your god damned mouth, early Dr.Strange is a loving treasure, it's weird as hell comics written by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, the only thing that compares is Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

The visuals are great but the writing is dire. Panel #1 is Dr Strange going Oh no gently caress a thing that will utterly destroy me. #2 "By the mystic rings of raggador or whatever, let there be no dramatic tension"

Also he's always yelling at Wong. :(

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

The visuals are great but the writing is dire. Panel #1 is Dr Strange going Oh no gently caress a thing that will utterly destroy me. #2 "By the mystic rings of raggador or whatever, let there be no dramatic tension"

Stan Lee, the inferior in a creative partnership??? You must be joking!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

"Crimson bands of Cyttorak" you loving plebe.

I will admit I really liked when Roy Thomas took over and his first story was basically "Shadow Over Innsmouth" with the names slightly fudged.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

"Crimson bands of Cyttorak" you loving plebe.

The Rings of Raggadorr are also a thing. :spergin:

They rhyme with the Moons of Munnopor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

prefect posted:

The Rings of Raggadorr are also a thing. :spergin:

They rhyme with the Moons of Munnopor.

Dammit, you're right, I don't think the second thing is real though and Dr. Strange doesn't rhyme.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Dammit, you're right, I don't think the second thing is real though and Dr. Strange doesn't rhyme.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Never mind.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Living Tribunal looked boss as hell back in the day.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

prefect posted:

I could swear they had the Silversmith in Boston in an issue of Astro City.

And Invincible's Wonder Woman lived up here before her untimely end.

Eh, we have Captain Marvel and Emma Frost. A giant super-powered drunk and a giant old money mind controlling bitch. What more do you need to be representative of the area?

e: Also Senator Robert Kelly, a giant douchebag politician. Oh, and fan favorites Rockside and Dum Dum Dugan. And 'occasionally remember he exists' favorite Cloak.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 18, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Never mind.

Its like someone isnt up on his Dr Strange.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

I imagine the comic would have him being impressed by the creamsicle, possibly as part of a "hostess fruit cake" scenario, but it's way funnier if you read it as him being totally dissapointed and sarcastic about it.

He is being totally disappointed and sarcastic about it. That panel's from the start of an old Marvel Graphic Novel that begins with Thor feeling intensely depressed and borderline contemptuous of mortal society.

I couldn't get too far into it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
:krad:

I really need to read Dr Strange

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Its like someone isnt up on his Dr Strange.

I've read the first 3 Essentials, it's just been like 5 years, and he doesn't rhyme in the modern poo poo I've read him in.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Kree army is a demanding, cruel institution...but even they have to abide by Space Regulations (Marvel Superheroes #12)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hey you don't want space hr giving you poo poo. ☆