Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't really have any solid opinion on Savage Dragon or Erik Larsen, I just thought it was really silly to go off on a guy sharing their opinion on a comic forum and just going "Oh YEAH tough guy? Just check out how long it has been going on"

I do think that Trump cover is not the best looking thing I've seen from Larsen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ruddiger posted:

One of the best parts of Savage Dragon is that it takes place in real time with the real world, so you get crazy poo poo like Obama pardoning Dragon as one of his last acts in office, or this upcoming cover.

His wife is an anime schoolgirl?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Savage Dragon is such a strange book. It's a shame Larsen let it fall so far behind schedule because he'd be creeping closer to Dave Sim's record by now. I do have no doubt he'll make it to 301 issues just to spite Sim though.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

prefect posted:

I think you might mean Firelord.

(You can't not cheer for Spidey during this storyline, even though there's no way it should have been able to happen.)

The great part about this fight is that Firelord comes to Earth just wanting to grab some pizza and the whole thing spirals out of control.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kalli posted:

To be fair, he's had to rescue Spidey from Carnage, a brainless clone and a lady juggalo once:

That was a really cool part of Maximum Carnage though.

There's a really good 6 or 7 issue story in Maximum Carnage. Unfortunately it's 14 issues long.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Say Nothing posted:

His wife is an anime schoolgirl?
If that's the same character as that baby from the previous page, he'd be 18-ish, wouldn't he?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

CharlestheHammer posted:

One piece is also up there, so Larsen ain't even top three.

Fairly sure One Piece is the actual Guinness World Record holder for longest continuous run by a single author, yeah?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's on chapter 861 at around 17 pages a chapter, and releases 3 times a month so if it isn't already it's getting there.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Rhyno posted:

Savage Dragon is such a strange book. It's a shame Larsen let it fall so far behind schedule because he'd be creeping closer to Dave Sim's record by now. I do have no doubt he'll make it to 301 issues just to spite Sim though.

To be fair everything I do is to spite Dave Sims

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Squirrel Girl 19.

The continuing postscript adventures of Alfredo the Chicken and Chef Bear are the best.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Roth posted:

It's on chapter 861 at around 17 pages a chapter, and releases 3 times a month so if it isn't already it's getting there.

Detective Conan is set to hit chapter 1000 in a few months.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rhyno posted:

If I remember correctly, Larsen went on record a few months ago saying that he's aiming for 301 specifically to torque Sim off and for no other reason.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'd say Doraemon but it probably doesn't match page count with modern Jump stuff. It did run for over 20 years and had 45 volumes though. Although actually I think longest running manga in terms of time though is Kochira Katsushika-ku Kamearikoen-mae Hashutsujo (“This is the police box near the Kameari Park in Katsushika Ward) which completed a four decade run in September of last year. It might hold a record for page count but that's harder to research.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

zoux posted:

So is Savage Dragon not in the Invincible Universe anymore or is the IU also the Our Universe?

Officially the way Image books work is that characters can cross over, but each book is its own universe, so that if Dragon shows up in Invincible, technically that's a different Dragon than the one in his own book and it doesn't affect the continuity of Savage Dragon unless Larsen chooses to reference it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

If I remember correctly, Larsen went on record a few months ago saying that he's aiming for 301 specifically to torque Sim off and for no other reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a3zXJ7biqI&t=90s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

When it comes to crossovers, Hellboy said it best.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wanderer posted:

He's been saying that for like 10 years and it's nice that he's actually in sight of it. If he can keep on the current track he'll hit it by 2025.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye #6

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Benito Cereno posted:

Officially the way Image books work is that characters can cross over, but each book is its own universe, so that if Dragon shows up in Invincible, technically that's a different Dragon than the one in his own book and it doesn't affect the continuity of Savage Dragon unless Larsen chooses to reference it.

Unrelated to everything, but while combing through a .25 comic book bin last week, I came across an issue of The Tick that you had signed the cover of.

I would have grabbed it but they were asking too much for it.

:xd:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Source is A+X #15, though I found it here.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Deadpool & the Mercs for Money #10

The issue where pretty much everyone and everything took a backseat to Machine Man reverting back to his Nextwave personality.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love that Hank "oops, I almost broke time" McCoy is still capable of giving other people poo poo for pretty much anything.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

When it comes to crossovers, Hellboy said it best.

I wish Hellboy would've showed up more in Dragon. I enjoyed their blasé relationship with each other.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye #6

Can someone isolate Wild Dog and animate the background so the dots are scrolling past and make it avatar sized because I NEED THIS

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

ruddiger posted:

I wish Hellboy would've showed up more in Dragon. I enjoyed their blasé relationship with each other.

How the hell does he support that massive upper body with those scrawny legs?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

How do any of you people read comic books without nitpicking every single loving panel to death

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That lettering is awful.

EDIT: :D

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

That lettering is awful.

Nah it really is bad lettering, honestly. You got me there.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Paper Kaiju posted:

I know, right? It's like he's a loving comic book character or something. Totally unrealistic.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

That lettering is awful.

Chris Eliopolous and John Workman are two of the best hand written letterers in the biz.

Both have worked on Dragon btw.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Chris Eliopolous and John Workman are two of the best hand written letterers in the biz.

Both have worked on Dragon btw.
Yes, they are good. That is not. If they were involved (and it looks like Eliopolous did this), they were having an off week. It's okay to point out that good artists/workers can have bad work sometimes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Paper Kaiju posted:

The power of Pamcakes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

purple death ray posted:

How do any of you people read comic books without nitpicking every single loving panel to death

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

ruddiger posted:

I'm not much of a Dragon fan and not much of a Hellboy fan but I would buy the heck out of a Dragon-Hellboy buddycop ongoing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Only people I've ever known that weren't Hellboy fans had just never read Hellboy

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If someone said Hellboy sucks and they'd only seen the movies that would be a perfectly understandable sentiment.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'd agree if you said the first one, but Hellboy 2 is brilliant.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ruddiger posted:

I'd agree if you said the first one, but Hellboy 2 is brilliant.

People actually liked Hellboy 2, I guess I'm going to have to re-think how loving wrong humans can be.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I remember Hellboy quite well despite only having seen it maybe twice and that being probably 10 years or more ago at this point. I don't remember a single thing about Hellboy 2 other than I didn't like it as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not saying they're horrible films or anything, but they basically contain only 10% of what makes the comics so great, and the rest is just ACTION MOVIE ACTION MOVIE. It's a very strange way to adapt a series that's defined as much by silence and melancholy as by anything else.

And I thought 2 was way worse than the first one.