Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Cangelosi posted:

One thing I do know is that when Nightcrawler's priest career crumbled, he could always go back upon his lucrative career of making plushies.

Later that night, they're taking a bath together when Nightcrawler is suddenly contacted by Professor X, who orders him to teleport outside and grab Angel's girlfriend, who's been attacked by Morlocks. Nightcrawler complies, dumping her directly into the tub with his adoptive sister/girlfriend.

Claremont, everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Jerusalem posted:

Who wrote the story about Polaris being Magneto's daughter after all (after multiple previous stories established this was absolutely NOT the case)? Same guy, or was that Chuck Austen?

There have been several. Peter David wrote the most recent one, but Austen did one, too. Austen was also responsible for "The Draco" and the exploding communion wafers story. And the story where Angel and Husk have mid-air sex right above the X-Men and Husk's family.

Chuck Austen's run was terrible, is what I'm saying.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I'm glad we've slowly started to thin out the herd of heroic hulks.

I'm just glad Rick Jones no longer has powers, as it should rightly be.

Marlo lost hers too, right?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It's still not nice to make someone fear for their lives over basically nothing.

It's also not nice to compare people with hideous physical mutations to animals.

Also, for gently caress's sake, people, are we really concern trolling this? Did I come into PYF by mistake?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Decius posted:

Basically CW 2, yes. Sunspot took a vote if they would rescue Rick Jones from SHIELD's custody by force (violating their charter that forbids them to operate on US soil as New Avengers) , and all except Wiccan, Hulkling, Squirrel Girl and the AIM IT guy voted yes.

And the AIM IT guy meant to vote "no", but he has large fingers.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The_Other posted:

That's actually from She-Hulk Vol1 Issue 4. She- Hulk's partner is representing Spider-Man pro bono in a lawsuit against JJJ for libel. Spider-Man would have won too but the lawyer decided to include Peter Parker in the lawsuit and Spider-Man ended up settling.

The proper takeaway here is that, in spite of She-Hulk calling him a "great lawyer," Pug is in fact a lovely lawyer.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

I just realized, I don't know what the powers of girl would be in a Marvel comic.

In her case, it's optimism, people skills, and one year of college-level education with a focus on computer science.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Apparently, at one point some executive told David that the Gold Key comics were everything Star Trek comics should be, and David laughed in his face before realizing he wasn't kidding.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Cangelosi posted:

HOLY poo poo! Did the cabbie shoot him?

The Masters of Evil beat the living poo poo out of him.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Also, who puts pirate boots on a costume in tyool 2016?

Technically, it was TYOOL 2010.

Guarding the Globe (as that series was eventually retitled) and Invincible Universe were cool, so of course they're gone now because Robert Kirkman can't go a year without some kind of global catastrophe in Invincible.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Show us the niffleheim birth certificate Loki

You joke, but there's actually a bit about that in the issue.

Also, was Laureen's dialogue taken directly from anyone else's Facebook feed, or is that just me?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

Okay then. Let's all take a look at Deadpool: Too Soon, because I'm struggling not to just post the whole thing in this thread where it belongs in it's entirety.

Summary, Deadpool calls together Ant Man, Squirrel Girl, Howard the Duck, Rocket Raccoon, Spider-Ham, the Punisher, and Forbush Man (for reasons I will not spoil). This is what follows.

Deadpool keeps them from leaving by revealing that he has blackmail material on each and every one of them.

Hang on a tick, isn't this (plus what happens next) the plot of the Clue movie?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Why is Fred watching the news with Betty? I mean, I know the reason that occurs to me, but I want to know what the reason in the comic is.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I have no problem with Mark Waid taking shots at MRAs, because MRAs are loving terrible and deserve all the mockery the universe can muster.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Okay just for the sake of the followup panels for that comic, where would Batman get Stephen Hawking's fighting skills from?

He didn't program in Hawking's fighting skills, he programmed in his entire neuromuscular profile.

He probably didn't get it straight from Hawking; he just wrote up a basic "advanced Lou Gherig's Disease" program.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Red posted:

Whirlwind is a goon?

Also, Luke Cage really likes the name Power Man, even though he never uses it:

He was using it at the time. It's the whole reason the first Power Man (now known as Atlas) picked the fight with him in the first place.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Am I seeing things or is the "Rorschach dayjob sandwich board loony" spot filled by Alan Moore in the background?

You are not seeing things. I believe it's made clearer on the next page.

Duggan's entire run on Deadpool has been amazing.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

The male gaze is loving strong on that page beyond the Doctor dressed up like an extra on the movie "Clueless." Even if you discount all the barbie figures with skirts framed conspicuously in a crowd of bystanders, he makes sure to get a cleavage shot in a panel where Doctor Clueless is examining a dying woman, and you can't even see Clueless' eyes.

Ed Benes, folks.

It gets worse when there's a scene in the girls' locker room at Kara's high school. *sigh*

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

East of West 29.

Game of Thrones reference is also apt a couple pages later.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

Silver Surfer #6/#200

Say what you will about Slott's take on Spider-Man. He definitely gets his moments from time to time.
He later takes great pleasure out of punching out one that takes on the form of Mephisto

But doesn't know quite why.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

How? How does Newspaper Spider-Man continue to be the very best thing Marvel is doing?!

And why have there been no collections?!?

There have, but from back when the strip debuted in the '70s.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

In the '60s, Ant-Man had tiny little cannons in his lab that would fire him and the Wasp onto the backs of a pair of flying ants.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Now explain this one.

Real excuse DC used: It was just after Final Night and Superman's powers were at a low level/not working properly.

Excuse I saw some guy use on the Internet once: Punching Venom is basically like punching a guy wearing suit made of pillows.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

prefect posted:

Spidey sold his marriage to Mephisto, who is just one of a bunch of demon/devil-type extradimensional entities in the Marvel universe.

And if you believe that, he's got a bridge in Brooklyn he'd like to trade your soul for.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

In honor of the late, great, Steve Dillon, here's the best Preacher page:

http://www.yisoonshin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/5.jpg

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Fereydun posted:

what even was the last time taskmaster showed up?
last i saw him was in deadpool & the mercs for money miniseries for a tiny bit.

Aside from that, I'm pretty sure his last appearance was that "not the face, please" bit in Deadpool's comic.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

For some reason, I find Adam Warlock being mistaken for Randy Travis hilarious.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

There's one where a shark is swimming by and is just "food food food food hi waterman food food".

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

He'd better leave a hefty tip.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

Today all of humanity is Pharmaduke.

Pharmaduke is an rear end in a top hat.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

No one cared about Wraith, so he's in character limbo.

Ikon probably wasn't used again after D&A left because Marvel seems leery of using ROM-related stuff, even if it's technically theirs.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I like that whenever Hellboy has a team-up the other guy gets the impression he's a completely useless fuckup.

The one exception, of course, being Jack Knight.

Also, that Nova stuff is gold.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

Slight bit of context: that "racist nutjob" is some sort of Tomi Lahren stand-in who was making the usual talking points of "deport them all" on the previous pages.

Ann Coulter stand-in, and I think Sam's more referring to New Falcon's impulsiveness than anything else.

Also, it's clearly not completely serious.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Kirby's balls, "compromise" doesn't mean "compromise with racists." It means "don't demand everything right now, learn the value of steady progress."

And yeah, there's definitely an argument to be made against that (King made it excellently in his letter from the Birmingham jail), but interpreting what Sam's saying as "stop caring, let the racists win" is just arrogant, stubborn, willful stupidity.

And while I'm at it, get off my lawn.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I love how X-23 is clearly not impressed.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Someday, hopefully, nerds will realize how incredibly creepy their preoccupation with the personal character of George Lucas is.

Gerard Jones was outed as a pedophile recently, yet it seems to have taught no comic fan any sense of perspective about creative types doing something wrong.

See also: Gene Roddenberry.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Samovar posted:

I don't get it.

There was once a popular song called "Girl You Know It's True." (Milli Vanilli, right?)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Batman does correct Robin's grammar in the '66 movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V21aZ_ZuoJM

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Has anyone brought back the genre of "Super-rear end in a top hat Punishes Criminals in horrific ways" in the modern era?

Closest would be Mike Fleischer's Spectre back in the '70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

Who was it that, when Pete explained the Doc Ock stuff said "yeah that seems just dumb enough to be true."

Miguel O'Hara.