Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Please don't ask about anything that's happened with Sandman since 1998.

Amen. Byrne hosed him up so badly 😞. He was reformed and even joined the Avengers for a hot minute!!!! He helped beat the Sinister Six and hunted Nazis with Silver Sable!!! But then JB decided he just HAD to be a bad guy again....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Gavok posted:

Fantastic! And furthermore, it's unbelieva...

*opens door*

ble.

Now how about some scenery???

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Samuringa posted:

The legalese talk in this thread plus talking about Endgame in the movie thread reminded me that She-Hulk acknowledges that it is common for people to die and come back frequently in this universe

Slott's She-Hulk #3

I love this run, but good lord - has Juan Bobillo ever seen the Thing before? Stylized differences and all that, but it looks like he just got done reading Concrete and phoned it in from there.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
From Captain America 375. Battlestar gets some... dubious advice from Red Zeppelin about what not to do when locked up.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
From the sad, late period of the Mark Gruenwald captain America run...

Her three biggest heroes are Cap, Mother Theresa, and ... ummmm.... Michael Stipe. 1994 everybody!!!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

MikeJF posted:

My destiny... lies with becoming an instant-results personal trainer and charging people lots of money to touch the orb!

The best thing about this is he comes back in the 3rd Damage Control limited series as a cosmic janitor who wants to clean up the universe with a giant glowing pushbroom. The entire 3rd series is wrapped up in this as a major plot point. His name is Edifice Rex.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Nice. I love how excited he is to have the strength of a gorilla, which would be cool for a normal person, but wouldn't be anywhere near the magnitude of strength for a lot of superheros.

The dude in the Headmen is one of the three Gorilla Mans. And Man Ape counts.

Gorillas seem like such a Golden- or early Silver-age thing. And I guess I associate that kinda thing with DC more readily.

(I also found a Wikipedia list of fictional primates in comics. Technically, it should've included all human characters, but it limited itself to apes and monkeys.)

Marvel had their share too... I would assume given Stan’s predilection for circuses, this ape somehow escaped from one. Also, holy lack of perspective on this!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Not Brand Echh seems really goofy and fun, kind of like the Unglued and Unhinged Magic expansions, if anyone gets that deep nerd reference. Are they worth finding to read through?

It’s both goofy and fun, and definitely worth a read. Most issues are up on Marvel Unlimited if you want to check them out. If you have any grasp of 1960s pop culture or politics, you’ll get most of the jokes. Lots of great sight and background gags. Yeah, there’s a lot of hacky, corny jokes but it’s still super fun to read and it’s fun to watch Lee and Kirby take shots at themselves.

The first 8 or 9 issues of What The?!? Are the same way, but those aren’t up on MU for some reason. That series took a sharp left turn off a cliff, so you’d probably only want the issues in single digits

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I think they quoted the wrong picture and was saying the dude next to Michael J Fox was John Travolta, though it's not a great likeness.

Don Johnson, Michael J Fox, but I'm not sure who the third guy is supposed to be.

I used to love these cameos when I read these as a kid, but I was always confused as to why so many guys had blue hair.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

And didn’t golden age Green Lantern get slowly pushed out of his own book by a crime solving dog?

He was already second banana in the book to a Brooklyn cab driver turned sidekick named Doiby Dickles, then a woman sidekick named Harlequin, and then his book got turned into All Star Western out of nowhere.

The Golden Age was wild - books changed concepts and titles on a whim. My all time favorite was Moon Girl. Started out as a fantasy title Moon Girl and the Prince for one issue, then suddenly changed to Moon Girl for 5 issues because superheroes sold better, then suddenly changed to Moon Girl Fights Crime! for 3 issues because crime comics were the rage. But romance comics sold even better, so it changed YET AGAIN to A Moon, A Girl... Romance! But it STILL wasn’t done because EC saw that horror comics were the big money seller, so it became Weird Fantasy with issue 13. 5 title and genre changes in 13 issues!!!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Hyouge Mono - Chapter 135

No I’m afraid I just grayed myself?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

I don't see wh no-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-JVvCrGC8

Okay yeah I see why.
Honestly I'd just justify it as Magneto being an acid freak in the sixties.

And keep in mind THIS WAS FROM THE LATE 70s. Well after Claremont had re-established him as a badass in Uncanny. That cartoon was ..... something.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

I was curious about this because my wife is reading the Claremont run for the first time right now and it's been fun to hear about all the benchmarks and cool parts from a fresh pair of eyes. So, this episode aired in October 1978. The first time Magneto shows up in Claremont's run is Uncanny X-Men #104, which came out in April 77. Then he kind of just cameos a little bit for awhile and comes back for a big showy story in #111-113 which have cover dates of June-September 1978. I guess your mileage may vary but in #104 he still comes off as kind of a doofus, and I would say that the first really cool Magneto story is the second arc mentioned, and even then he's still pretty hammy-- as mentioned, tying people up and making them get treated like babies by a robot. On the other hand he looks completely sick drawn by John Byrne at the peak of his talents, which I'm sure helped a lot in elevating his profile. So there are little hints of Claremont turning him into something interesting by the end of 1978, but I think that if somebody from that year were to think that Magneto kind of sucks and is goofy they would not be totally unjustified.

Actually, #104 is a little silly but Magneto does just show up and more or less beat everybody up effortlessly. He's not a very complex character in it but he is pretty cool. So I guess I take it all back.

Even if he’s not the complex character he becomes later on in the Claremont run, he’s definitely not the doof he is in the early Lee years and in that cartoon. And yeah, I know they had to dumb everything down for a Saturday morning audience, but man that’s just bad...

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Daktar posted:

I've been on an X-men kick since I read the Hickman books, so I went back and looked at some of the 60s stories. Those first few issues where Magneto appears they really thought magnetism could do anything. He's pretty much as psychic as Xavier, too.

Stan Lee understood magnetism as much as he understood transistors. Those two things were pretty much magic back in the early Silver Age, they were the same catch-all back then as “nanites” are now.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

The best part of old Iron Man comics was seeing him charge the suit by just plugging it into the wall.

Also him wearing the ginormous chest plate under his clothes and it not being noticeable. Even when he slimmed it down in the red and gold armor there was no way everyone he saw wouldn’t have noticed.

That and the Angel hiding HUGE wings under his shirt in the back are the biggest “it’s the silver age, I just have to suspend a certain level of disbelief” things.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Sassy Thor has no time for your bullets

Thor #283

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Esplanade posted:

Don't know if Marvel Puzzle Quest is canon, but this is how Cyclops activates his "Mutant Revolutionary" power in-game.

"Cyclops makes a public display of strength to rally young mutants to his side."

That’s Krakoa’s rear end

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

FFT posted:

Yeah, like Glob

Did you say Blob???

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Which would be more Cobra, having a dedicated choir who enjoy both singing and tormenting innocent ears with Muzak, or having a choir that is forced to sing Muzak as some esoteric punishment for failure that can also be used to torment innocent ears.

Actually, probably the first. They'd be selling that as a 20 CD collection on late night TV, call now and as a bonus...

Sounds like someone’s never heard the absolute banger “Cold Slither”

https://youtu.be/bnM-u7rZwtI

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

I still have so much of that at home.
The funniest thing was how they used to have DC toys in their early strips, until WB told them that they couldn't make jokes about Batman and Superman.
They then had to edit reprints of these old strips to either remove the DC guys or just not reprint them.

Batman? Who’s Batman? I think you mean Pumpkin Man

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

That wasn't due to the cartoon. That was because the series was launched as a four issue limited series complete with the trade dress of "# in a four issue limited series". Then at the end of issue four, Shockwave kills all of the Autobots and they go on to issue five. It was the talk of my elementary school back in the day...

Which in turn led to one of the most badass covers of all time on issue 5:

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Phy posted:

Bashied in the bazouks

“Arrrr! He got me in

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

There’s so many things I hate about that era of Wolverine, but two of my nitpickiest are the corner box and the logo. That logo kept getting longer and longer am until it took up a drat 1/3 of the page And the corner box was a recolored Kevin Nowlan piece (from Marvel Comics Presents I think?) - it was originally the brown and orange costume but changed when Logan went back to the old yellow and blue. The whole thing just seems off putting

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

I love that arc. Steve Ditko can suck an egg, Marie Severin is my definitive Doctor Strange artist for sure, nobody else has approached that beautifully austere, delirious quality she brought to those issues. Like a four-color Leonora Carrington, I love it.

Not a hot take, but the truth. Ditko was great; but tell me you don’t look at those panels and say “THAT - that is what I think of when I think of Dr Strange”.

Equally “hot” - she’s probably at worst the 3rd greatest Hulk artist after Sal Buscema and Herb Trimpe, and maybe even ahead of Trimpe.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Darthemed posted:

The Thing! #13 (1954)

Do you remember the humor of the 2000s?

Exiles #19 (2003)

To be fair..,. This was Morph trapped on Mojoworld, forced to perform 24/7, and intentionally doing a stupid comedy sketch.

Yes I loved Exiles back in the day, sue me.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I still feel like, out of anyone in that page, Doom might be one of the most likely to shed a tear for senseless mass death (behind only Magneto, depending on amount of mutants in the towers).

Every death of someone who either never lived in the glory of a Doom-run society, or didn't die to further the cause of making one happen, is a death to be mourned by Doom.

Doom only cries because the planes missed the Baxter Building.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Darthemed posted:

but later

Superboy #78 (1960)

Speedball #9 (1989)

I was such a Marvel Zombie back in my youth that I bought almost anything they published that made it to the Waldenbooks or newsstand at my local mall. I bought all 10 issues of Speedball as they came out and even I had to admit that book was hot garbage. Ditko’s art was horrific, and Roger Stern was phoning it in. That middle panel of Robbie saying “MY PARENTS DONT LOVE ME ANYMORE” might be the worst Ditko had drawn to that point. That whole series is ripe for this thread - this comic wouldn’t have flown in the silver age, let alone the late 80’s. Also maybe don’t name your star character after a coke/heroin mix at the tail end of the cocaine epidemic.

And to top it all off, the letterer misspelled “prostitute”.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Actually at this point Reed and Sue are Avengers, they joined in #300 and lasted until... well, #303, because it turns out Reed doesn't do the chain-of-command thing.

And yes, they kept wearing their FF uniforms.

E who can forget this classic Avengers lineup

Don’t forget, that was coming off the amazing lineup of Dr Druid, Black Knight, Thor, and She-Hulk.

The Avengers were a mess after Stern left. I love Walt Simonson but he was handcuffed from the start and did the best he could. I’ll always have a soft spot for his Jarvis story in 298 tho :)

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

so graceful

Avengers #14

How the gently caress is Captain America moving in that panel????

Also, I love Kirby but man could he never get consistent size or perspective on Giant Man

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Sensation Comics #4 (1942)

Exiles #52 (2004)

PYF Least subtle references

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

you don't even need multiple wolverines for that

No ring

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

blessing any and everything at the drop of the hat is only a big deal when vampires exist.

Wasn’t there a bit in the 90s Vampirella comic where she had a priest bless a rain cloud that was above some vampire stronghold?

As a recovered Catholic, I will tell you that priests will bless literally anything you ask them to. One of the most popular things to buy at Ohio flea markets was always the “Jesus blessing a semi” picture. One trucker that used to frequent my pharmacy not only had the picture, but had a priest bless his own semi AND the picture that he kept in the semi.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #85 (1960)

Flaming Carrot Comics #18 (1988)

Superboy #86 (1961)
Just blaring out the kid's personal life to all the other readers.

Just gonna skip over Dick Hunter from Pound Ridge, huh?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Tony you gotta be a little more subtle

Iron Man #123

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Going through the late 70s/early 80s Iron Man again has been a treat

Is…. Is Scott gonna break this guys dick in half?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
From Iron Man #164, the first appearance and origin of the Proud Boys?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
The Thor equivalent of Newspaper Spider-Man

Avengers Annual #19

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Kinda want to see Superman chug all 2 liters of that soda - "I'm also invulnerable to SUGAR"

Then he burps so loud that 4 birds nearby disintegrate from the sound wave

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Fantastic Four #98 (1970)

“WOW, a man landed on the moon”
“Dude, a man made out of rocks helped a guy on fire beat a 100 foot tall alien in purple cargo pants last week while a living Oscar statue on a surfboard flew around and a giant bald guy set the sky on fire”.
“Oh yeah…. “

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Vincent posted:

Why is Rick Jones black in here?

Long story short? He magically got returned to youth after a death worshipper made him an ancient one armed man with no teeth. He was so happy to be young and with Marlo again he got a new haircut, got a dark tan, and a new ‘stache. It doesn’t last long and he’s back to the floppy haired doofus look by volume 2