Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

Star Wars: Tales #19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I thought it was amusing. :colbert:

Deadpool v.3 #45

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

All this did was remind me of a G'nort storyline I read when i was a kid about him facing off against some giant, probably yellow, flea or big conscious group of fleas (a la Marvel's Swarm). Heck if I know where I read it in (I'd guess a JLA/JLE/JLI book though).

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

My dad collected comics before me, so my introduction was old back issues of Conan. Eventually I was getting lots of weirdly prescient but entirely random single issues (like a few issues from Waid's Flash run), and some scattered TPBs like "Spider-Man Strange Adventures" and "The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told".

Anyway, let's get the thread back on track with some of the quality, highbrow humor that comics are known for:

(Hitman #43)

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Veotax posted:

I bet Bane cuts a mean promo.

Injustice: Year 5 #6

Batman put hard times on Bane and his family. You don’t know what hard times are daddy. Hard times are when the you're serving a life sentence for your father's crimes, when every day may be your last, and you are subjected to experiments to get ya hooked on Venom. And hard times are when a man who has broken free from that prison, and has worked to become King of Gotham, and has broken the Bat, a new Bat comes along and puts a few shurikens in his arm and says "hey I'm the King now", that's hard times! And Batman, you put hard times on this city by takin' Bane out, that's hard times. And we all had hard times together, and I admit, I don't get pumped on Venom like I used to. My chest's a little smaller, my arms a little smaller, but brother, I am bad. And you know I'm bad.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

If a tree falls on a mime, does it make a sound?

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Don't forget Mad Magazine's contribution to the Marvel Family:

(Mad Magazine #5)

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

You can't beat the classics.

(Silver Surfer vol. 7...or something like that. The 2014-2015 run! That one!)

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

They're all supposed to be dead characters but the only one I recognize is Bucky. Can anyone identify everyone? They would have been dead circa 1997, if that helps. I'm assuming they're legit characters and not just invented for the issue, but I suppose that could be the case.

Going vaguely left-to-right, top-to-bottom:

Bird-Man, Red Raven
Basalisk (green skin), Brutacus (guy with horns), Porcupine (duh), Cyclone (guy in blue), Vakume (purple)
Mirage (dude in yellow, terrible headgear), Reptilia (lady with snake arms), Hydron (fishy type person in the back), Egghead (baldy), Turner D. Century (zoot suit), Thornn (yellow dude with thorns)
Kangaroo, Whizzer (yellow suit with a W), Bucky, Cheetah (sweet stache), the Ringer (he throws rings!)

Brutacus, Hydron, Reptilia, Thornn, and Vakume were all part of a supervillain group called Salem's Seven, along with Gazelle and Vertigo who I guess had better things to do than be resurrected. All of them are grandchildren of Agatha Harkness and children of Nicholas Scratch. Comics are weird.

Gummy Joe fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 15, 2018

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Mulva posted:

I love a good "Bruce Wayne would become literally anything that came through that window" joke.

Here comes some more then:

(Batman #256)

(Batman #682)

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm digging Chuck from Blackhawk's suit

Mark Waid took a rightful dig at that (and the rest of the Junk-Heap Heroes) in "Justice League: Year One":

(JLA: Year One #8)

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Unfortunately for Blue Beetle, he was dealing with a very grumpy and standoffish elephant.

Or he's in Governor Lepetomane's political posse

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Parodies of that part of Batman's genesis are never going to get old for me. I am still waiting for a storm to blow something, anything through my window so I can dramatically yell "I shall become [whatever just smashed my window]!"

Why limit yourself to times when you're by a window? DC sure didn't:

(Batman vol. 1 #256)

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Public Domain Mickey, your roast is at hand!

Public Domain Mickey, your roast is n-OH WHAT THE HELL?

(Savage Dragon #271268)

Gummy Joe fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

You can very honestly say that nobody's ever seen Thanos and Batroc in the same room together.