Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

There's gonna be a blow up!

The radiation-meter has gone whacky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Wait a goddamned minute...is...is that a Santa Claus Conquers the Martians reference?! :aaaaa:

https://youtu.be/ut-hn7sFieE?t=40m44s
Yes, I think it is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think the only thing for Portland in either universe is that we were hit by an old age bomb once.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The 40s, ladies and gentlemen!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

nerdman42 posted:

Enchanted Tiki Room #1, which is way more charming than I expected

Is this where the birds sing words and the flowers croon or some other tiki room?

(dangit I heard that song ONCE 25 years ago...)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"Beware of Dog", "No Solicitors", "Do not approach wildlife"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's okay, she's venomous not poisonous.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Duke Igthorn posted:

I like that Thor speaks in the Fauxespeare while Loki just talks normal.

Don't make fun of his speech impediment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

How cool is this going to be?

That's the old Black Bolt. The current one in the comics is a giant CGI scorpion.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Fun fact those bilboard are right near my apartment

I can't tell, are those actual billboards or are you being sassy?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lobok posted:

It's the look of a guy who knows how many gay jokes are going to be made if the other guys ever find out.

"Hey Aquaman, I hear you have the power of a blowfish, haha! Why don't you come over here and bl--"

*an orca smashes through the room*

The hard part is making it look like an accident. "I swear officer, he slipped and fell into the dolphin."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Everyone plays it completely straight too. There isn't a single wink or nudge in sight. They were real comedy pros.

That's what threw me off for the show. I'd see clips and think "oh, they just picked the one bit that's weird." It wasn't until I saw a full episode that I realized they were in on the joke and went full ham the whole time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Perry Normal posted:

I think a big part of me being such a humour-driven idiot is the fact that I grew up watching Batman '66, Get Smart and Rocky & Bullwinkle and didn't realize any of them were supposed to be silly comedies until much later.

I watched a lot of Britcoms on PBS, things like Are You Being Served and Waiting for God. The immersion in deadpan snark prepared me well for the internet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

X-O posted:

Now that web comic is funny. And maybe a little too real. Is it the same person?

Yeah. She's been doing the comic for ages (I think it's pretty much done now except for the occasional spark of inspiration) and the quality's varied depending on her free time. Waiting behind a counter at a museum vs sketching on the lunch break or just some idea she scrawled out. King Baby was the long-effort actual drawing job.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I thought Cheetah was a thundercat?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Begemot posted:

Honestly I'm surprised he doesn't talk about the scholarship surrounding There and Back Again more at the beginning of LotR.

Written by a self-admitted nobody of a hobbit who somehow manages to be integral at every point of the journey? Even if it didn't make the elves out to be petty villains, clearly an attempt to garner attention as this tale contradicts their history of events that predates this publication by a good fifty years, Baggins can hardly be considered an unbiased source.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I haven't read it yet but the one thing that gets almost universal praise in Mistborn is how Sanderson designs the way magic works.

Less "how it works" and more "how you can use it." Sanderson's books tend to treat magic as a science, and if something seems to break the rules the reason is likely to be "we didn't understand the rules" in a similar way to how basic physics laws work fine until you encounter something where they don't. Overall it lets him use magic much more openly in his stories to solve/create problems without it feeling like cheating, but opinions will, of course, vary on the overall effect (some folks really don't like there being things magic can't do.)

</fanboy>

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I don't recall, were there issues with the Br'er Rabbit stories themselves or just the Song of the South?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dareon posted:

On the plus side, Aquaman got a power boost. Or is "Ha ha, talking to fish is literally the worst power" not actually applicable anymore? I admit I don't know anything about Aquaman since he grew the beard.

From the JLU series his superpower is being metal as gently caress.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

And at least in the young justice cartoon, he explains that Miss Martian, while not nearly as adept at the physical aspects of her powers, was the strongest psionic of any Martian he had ever met, including himself.

I assumed the reason for that was because Jonn was only comparing to green martians.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"As long as he's white under all that demon-goop, that's good enough for me."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

I always loved the Robert Bruce Banner thing.
Because my dad always goes by his middle name instead of his first name (the nurse talking to his parents got confused and recorded the wrong name first so legal his middle name ended up as his first name.)

So since I discovered that Bruce Banner does the same thing it let's me imagine my dad as the Hulk.

A friend of mine goes by his middle name with first initial, J Jonah Jameson style. Gets junk mail addressed to J all the time.

I think it's part generational, part how bad your first name is.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 8, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

One scientist was stydying why planes always crash in the Savage Land, but he didn't survive the surveying trip. Hit by a bus on his way to the airport.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

haitfais posted:

He'd feel responsible if he didn't go and someone got hurt. Peter Parker: walking guilt complex.

If it were any worse he'd have to be Jewish or Catholic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Squirrel Girl is not a mutant, she's obviously an elemental, like Swamp Thing.

The plane of elemental squirrel.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is the loophole that she's not his master or that "you got it" counts as explicit permission somehow?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That codpiece doesn't look nearly big enough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

One of the very best things Homecoming did--and it did a whole hell of a lot-- was finally leaning into the joke that without buildings a Spider-Hero has to jog on the ground like a schmuck.

Half the scenes in that movie could have been accompanied by a horn going "bwah-bwah". It was pretty wonderful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think that bit in the film may have been inspired by one of the classic Peter David stories, 'When Commeth The Commuter!', which is a great story to track down.

Amazing Spider-Man 267

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

prefect posted:

I spent a shameful amount of time wondering what the hell "Deflator Mouse" was supposed to mean as a character name. :blush:

I did the same for The Tick cartoon. Never parsed it right until I saw it written down (which is how parsing errors tend to go).

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 6, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm saving that one for when I need an avatar tagline somewhere down the road. It's beautiful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

I think some of MAD's best work was when it was putting the boots to advertising and marketing techniques. I can't be the only kid who grew up learning to "read" ads critically in large part thanks to MAD.

I hadn't thought about it, but yeah. I didn't get MAD as a subscription, it tended to be something I'd flip through at the store while my mom was shopping (man, reading those without buying them? Little past-me twerp.) And yeah, the cynical advertising mindset has stuck.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've been meaning to ask, are the footnotes on those pages supposed to be difficult to read (so as not to distract from the actual comic), it it an effect of the scanning, or do I need to go see a doctor for my failing old man eyes?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Who What Now posted:

It's a little of all three. As an aside, what's it like to have the spector of death looming over you?

Not that bad. He brought a book so it's not like I have to listen to him muttering about the time or anything.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

davidspackage posted:

How hard can it be to find a native French speaker? Even if you don't know anyone, it takes seconds to find one on the internet.

Use a Quebecer and see if the ability to piss off actual French extends to writing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think that's too nerdy, and I'm named after a couple of physicists.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Janet's seen the hulk naked. She's already seen enough.

This is the sort of thing that gets HR involved.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

With lines like that it's a wonder he even bothers with a secret identity.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I really appreciate the workmanship that he not only has a tiny hatch for his straw, but also a second one to show people his high-explosive helmet padding. This means that at the design stage someone must have said 'Ok hold up, no one is just going to believe that we packed the helmet with explosives, we had better include a little sliding door so we can show it off'.

I wonder if he keeps several straws, or if he's forced to go and rinse the one out so he doesn't get stale coffee in his smoothies.

Once you're on your third or so "Cobra Commander" you learn to anticipate these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Why does Major Bludd have four dog tags?

One for the body, one for the family, one deletes browser history and one publishes his unreleased poems.