Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I didn't know Alfred was dying his hair lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I think Hulk and the Shokan would get on pretty well.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Mister Mind posted:

Fine.

(JLI something-or-other)

bobkatt013 posted:

New Gods 2

Maybe it's some inner fanboyism, but...

This sort of thing is something you don't see often. The man is utterly self-assured in all situations. He's not active often, because why should he be? And yet you'll also see him walking around and being philosophical. He is always screwing with someone, somewhere, at some time. You could not easily see Luthor doing this to Superman even if his ID were known. Nor Joker with Batman. Kingpin MIGHT with Daredevil.

I'm always reminded of the time Anarky of all people went to Apokalips, and Darkseid...gives him the time of day. Given the reason(Anarky wants to hear 'the nature of evil' and decides to go right to the top-there's also another reason that doesn't get revealed till later.) I both can and can't fault him.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Probably.

In-story, he took some evil energy with him. Which he tried to counterbalance with Good from Batman of all people, as well as Chaos from Etrigan to remake the world. We end up with a massive dream sequence where everything starts good but ends up going horribly wrong.

Might have wanted a better source of Good.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Darkseid is the kind of dude that the mere existence of makes it hard for me to believe the DC universe can exist in a recognizable shape compared to our own. There's a guy out there who's basically the Space Devil, is theoretically powerful enough to mop the floor with every hero on earth, and he's pretty publicly known. You'd think that'd impact society a little.

I mean you can make the same argument for a character like Galactus, but his stories actually do have people flipping their poo poo and re-evaluating their worldview when confronted with his existence.

It also helps that the New Gods exist and are trying to hold him in check.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

As opposed to comic book shared universes, the least dumb of settings

I know Spidey Super Stories is an easy pull but given recent television show events I thought this was okay to bring back

I'm fully aware of Kingpin being muscle more than fat, but still, that's a really good kick for someone of his size. Even when he fought Red Skull, he didn't do a kick with that kind of...I think the word's 'extension' but I'm not sure I'm using it right.

Although I'm also left thinking: 'I take it back, that leg looks off compared to his body'. Am I weird?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 14, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

redbackground posted:

M.O.D.O.K. ASSASSIN #1

Tell me, is it wrong that I saw this picture and I immediately heard R.A.V.E from Probotector/Contra:Hard Corps?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Since when is Lucifer a god?

He's also looking a lot like Desire today. Interesting.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

Why can Archie of all things get so crazy?

You know the idea of 'beware the nice ones' with the implicit 'when they snap, they REALLY snap'?

Pretty much the same here. We're seeing them snap. After this it'll be another 50-500 years of normal.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Well, of course not. He's The Rock.

He might have been born Dwayne Johnson, took the stage name Rocky Maivia, but in the end he is, now and forever, The Rock. And the Rock is pretty fine with that.

...Thinking that and typing it makes it sound almost like a superhero comic in itself. Didn't he get a comic at one point, briefly?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 24, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Amorphous Blob posted:

You know what else is on his finger? A ring that lets him summon glow in the dark objects. Is green lantern an idiot in universe as well?

Wasn't there at least one Lantern who did not understand the concept of 'Light' thanks to his home's conditions so they had to phrase it as 'Sound' instead? I think it's even around here somewhere...

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

joehonkie posted:

Exar Kun makes a bold struggle against the temptations of the Dark Side:

(Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith #3)

Beaten, battered, close to death, unable to draw on Light Side powers because it's outright blocked where he's at, and this was before there was any creed to spout to yourself. I remember that sequence.

Then again, people have also noted he wasn't much of a Sith Lord, based on his accomplishments.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that shipping a bunch of non-gay dudes into couples is not hee-haw-larious but just dumb and juvenile and kind of belittling actual diversity issues in comics?

Possibly.

But the Xavier and Magneto relations have always been such over the years that people have called them 'a married couple' for a long time. They've had good times and bad times, arguments that are still ongoing.

My own judgement on this is thus biased in this case. It's easy for me to picture them growing old together and such, like 'As Time Goes By' with super-powers. Perhaps it's just how long they've been at this that does it.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 21, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Awkward.

Eh? I don't get it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It's Thanos. He's probably got all these random bits of crap knowledge.

Thanos as comics nerd when he doesn't want to be. Hmm.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

What's the scale, though? What's considered 'Normal human'?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The way the sequence actually goes in the next issue is pretty strong and weird all on it's own, without need for Photoshop. He's about to break and just give up and die, he's hallucinating, but the last hallucination is Captain America(Going all 'I expected better of you' and such)...and from that, he draws the strength and hatred to survive. And he hates himself for it.

I think it turned up here a few times.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 20, 2016

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

flosofl posted:

Lady cop don't need no gun.

Just her billy club and parking ticket notebook.

Squizzle posted:

That jerk just snatched her whuppin' chain right out of her hand. :mad:

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, too cliche. They need to be funny animals or something.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Hmm, what if instead her partner was a slick, fast talking con man type to contrast wither by-the book go get 'em attitude. I'm thinking of like a... Michael Cera or Wil Arnet type.

I'm taking all this together, and I come out with 'She's a female version of Axel from Streets of Rage'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

D) what if Captain Kirk was a secret Klingon?

Part of me remembers SOMETHING actually used that in a tiny, blink-and-you'll-miss-it way, but I'm not up on my Trek enough to remember what it was.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

He tried to kill all the heads of state of the world, or something.

They tried to take over the USA, via using several 'oxygen-destroying rays' to hit everyone in any position of power. Thee text calls out 'The President', 'congress leaders and cabinet members', 'publishers of newspapers and magazines', 'members of the FBI, the secret service and the military intelligence', big bankers', 'industrial leaders', 'doctors', and 'army and navy officers and enlisted men'. It was enough to cause rioting across the country. The President lives for certain, but it's unclear how much damage has been done across the country. The text says he's 'one of the thousands to regain a normal state of health'.

There's two collections of Fletcher Hanks work: "I shall destroy all the civilized planets!" and "You shall die by your own evil creation!" Whether they've been collected into a super-book, I don't know.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 4, 2016

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

Yeah, it's suddenly hard to take MODOK seriously. He was always so dignified.

I recall in the old days, he was one of Captain America's main foes, and taken seriously. It's only more recently that he's been seen as a joke. Though that's probably hearsay.

Then again, his backstory itself is either impressive or silly. AIM take an ordinary man, mutates and experiment on him, and make him their new living computer/weapon. But he's too strong, and not only destroys the people that did this to him, but takes over AIM. In the end, that's nasty as all hell.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 14, 2016

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

You think Victor spent time getting the explosion to sound JUST right, should it ever happen?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Oh when Tim Sale does it y'all can't stop jizzing but one some internet rando does it....

I ask honestly: Who? Where is this picture from?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I remember at least one Spider-Man comic that has Peter note it's a case of either 'bad jokes' or 'panic'-at least in a fight. Can't remember where, though...

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Sabretooth's come a long way from his Iron Fist roots.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

He knows the score. You do NOT screw with someone in the middle of that sort of thing. It tends to get you hammered.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I'm sure it is real, but it doesn't LOOK real, if that makes sense.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The best way to think of it, as far as I can see, is: They were always the 'Modern Stone Age family'. 'Modern' has changed. Not sure whether to judge it as good or foul.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 3, 2016

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Nilbop posted:

I'm just throwing it out there that I still really don't like how they've handled this "break-up" or whatever. It seems much too accomodating for all parties involved.

I mean, Black Bolt should be squashing anybody who comes too close to his (ex?) wife without a care.

Bolts saying 'you harm her, you die'. Pretty standard. He can see she's happier, and he can respect that.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Even when he does get scared, he rarely shows it, you know? I can't think of any time he's ever been the sort to be all 'walk on eggshells scared', even when he faced down Anihillus and died for his trouble.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Which is odd, because they've always been effective villains-in their own right, even, thanks to the Master Mold mess-in the comics. On the other hand they've also tried to take over humanity for their own good.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 19, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I feel bad for laughing at this but I can't stop myself from laughing at the Storm one because I can't help but imagine Storm talking like the 90s cartoon version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rj1B3l9gE

And delivering a PSA.

Hey. When she wasn't being all Goddess-Talk, she had a fine calming voice.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

"The drinking contest was half over before Thor realized that he hasn't seen Loki since it started."

No, Loki was there also. He ended up in an eating contest. Against a boy that turned out to be 'Fire'(I.E it eats everything without fail). Thor also got into a wrestling contest with a cat that turned out to be Jormagandr the Midgard Serpent(And he nearly managed to life and toss it, too). A serving boy who was travelling with them ended up in a foot race against 'Thought'. I also recall some sort of contest against an old lady that turned out to be Death, and so unbeatable.

EDIT: Here's a decent bit about it. Better than relying on my memory. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Atgar%C3%B0a-Loki

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Didn't he end up creating a universe in his own image and it horrified him, and that's just him bullshitting?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Are the rings actual RingWorlds, or just something like Saturn's rings?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Astro City had a baseball-themed hero in a scene. The makeup of the page was very much like this.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Seventh Arrow posted:

:byodood:

(Justice League Vol 4 - The Grid)

Ah, Billy, you are such a fan. (I'd use 'fanboy' but that seems harsh given it's usage these days.).

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Arkham is funded by Bruce Wayne with the clear goal of providing a revolving door for his foes. He's no hero. He keeps people around to fight to justify his fetishes and to never have to face his own issues.

Oh, that's right, 'Lock-Up' never actually happened in the comics, did it? That one guard being as crazy/rear end in a top hat as any of the inmates.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Darkseid reads Mein Kamph and thinks "amateur"

Probably more "As above, so below." He sees himself reflected, in miniature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Ms.Marvel is also an Avenger you never hear about, and also an outsider due to various bits.