Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

What's really stupid about this storyline is how Odin deals with it all. He thinks the new Thor is a thief and doesn't wonder if there is something deeper going on. You can't steal Mjolnir.

Yeah, but HE couldn't lift it. Clearly it's the children who are wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, this derail's super long: There's a Thor thread.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Only if he has a really bitchin' copy of Excel that only she can wield.

No, but Detective Thor Odinson is on the case and he will crack this mystery.

Still from Thor #5
I like how Kelda's on the list. Because the new Thor is someone who needs the hammer to fly and summon thunder and lightning, and she can't do either of- wait...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If he'd said "for the honour" he would've been a winged unicorn. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

The weirdest period for Archie was in the 1970s when they allowed Al Hartley to use the characters in Spire Christian Comics, where Archie, Reggie, Veronica, Betty, Jughead and the rest pontificated on how everything was much better back in the 1890s.

Not the time Archie and co were spies?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cangelosi posted:

This thread can use more Al Hartley, to be honest.

Oh for gently caress's sake. "MORE than equals", except for property rights, the right to vote, equal pay, not being sexually harassed and y'know, anything that men take for granted. But hey, some guys who weren't assholes held doors open and tipped their hats, so that makes it all OK!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Uthor, how dare you post that story and not anything from Noelle Stevenson's story in Sensation Comics!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Spigs posted:

Source? I've been missing good PG stories since the Palmiotti/Grey/Conner run ended.

...You really can't tell that's clearly drawn by Conner?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do like the idea of Frank reading "IRC and Social Networking for Dummies!" solely so he can murder predators. Maybe taking a community computer course beside the nice old lady that got an iPad for Christmas from her granddaughter.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cangelosi posted:

Gotta respect the SpatulAvengers.

It was right there!
:cmon:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"Meesa a carry-catcher of da writer's bombad childhood fearsa!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Porcupine-dude's glib response about how many crimes he's doing is a little jarring given what happens next, though. He's robbing the store to pay the ransom on his kids, which is what Urich wanted Jessica to look into: D-list villains' families disappearing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
She's supposed to glide, not actually fly, though most of the time writers treat it as interchangeable.

Also, I hope everyone's reading her dialogue with the English accent she had in the motion comic version of the Bendis/Maleev run.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure calling it out excuses the artist for doing the thing where the emblem is drawn to look like she's wearing a one-piece swimsuit and decided to flash her boobs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...I hope X-23 killed him for that pun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

also it is the least delicious of all metals.

Why do kids eat it, then?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Groo would win, obviously, he's got that dog looking out for his best interests ala the one from Inspector Gadget.

It's like you guys don't even think these things logically through, GOD!

Ah, but Conan worked that out before they even officially met, and convinced the dog to be on his side.
Like in that one story with the witch. Or the one with the pirate ship. Or the one with the aliens and the grey goo egg.

(Conan does this a lot.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Beast gambling on SCIENCE! a thing now? He did it in Spider-Woman last month, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LoonShia posted:

Stilt-Man.

Lady Stilt-Man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I vaguely recall this storyline, didn't it have a bizarre interlude where all the heroes go home to "relax" for a few hours, which involves their half-naked wives/girlfriends giving them massages and telling them how wonderful they are?

That might be worth it if the punchline is a panel of Frank Castle just sitting in front of his gun, scowling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Captain Cold's kinda like that in some recent issues. Like more, "Nothing personal Flash, just doin' a job here." vs "I must destroy the Flash!"

A funny panel! PG, WW, and Cass have just beaten Egg Fu in WW #600.

Is that the same issue that has the massive team-up and Batwoman's psyching herself up to ask Diana out?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yep! (Assuming you mean this panel)

Love that issue.

I'm sure there's a panel earlier where Kate's whispering to herself something like, "Don't overthink it, just be cool, she's a person, just smile, and ask her!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I can't find that one in Google, but The Question's sorta saying something in that vein in panel 2 (sorry for flooding the page with WW 600 pics, folks!). Bulleteer's line makes me smile, too.

That might be what I was recalling.

Also fits in nicely with the Gotham Central page posted a few pages back. (The next page has Maggie telling Renee "You should see Wonder Woman!")

Grendels Dad posted:

So, Conan is Batman?

Honestly, having read a bunch of Savage Sword recently? Kinda? A lot of stories rely on Conan outwitting the bad guy, or, like I said, revealing he has allies right under the villain's nose. (And really? No-one batting an eye about the aliens? I seriously mean guys from space, by the way)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 13, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's not the Squirrel-a-gig! :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

On the one hand, she drew this:

On the other hand, she drew these in the same issue:

(The second version of the armor is her official uniform that she wears to the UN to meet with all the nations of Earth.)

To be fair, weren't the Ame-Comi designs already done, and Conner/Gray/Palmiotti and the other artists just had to work with what they had? (This results is a pretty fuckin' bananas series, by the way. It starts Braniac-does-Hitchhiker's-Guide-To-The-Galaxy, and goes through Blackest Night, and ends with the Teen Titans mashed up with the Universal monsters)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Section Z posted:

Batgirl power ranger is pretty okay, and at least Power Girl's costume is just a few tweaks in that :japan: picture.

It's more Gatchaman Batgirl, and it is pretty good.
The Green Lantern design from that line/series was pretty cool too. It's Jade, but reimagined as a blind, Chinese national rock-climber. So the ring gives her construct headphones to give her Daredevil-vision, and she gets the F-Sharp Bell version of the oath.

And then there's the arc where Black Lantern Flash is just going around being the Flash/Jesse Quick, Ordinary Undead College Girl.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Batroc is in it for the money and the challenge. He doesn't HATE Captain America, he just knows Cap is The Man, and To Be The Man, You Gotta Beat The Man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

She has an invisible plane even though she can fly and unbreakable bracers even though she's bulletproof.

The bracelets are power limiters, though, because that's, like, DEEP, man.

(My favourite moment with them is actually in JLU where Diana uses them to block a lightning bolt from Weather Wizard and Wally's just like "There's SO many reasons that shouldn't work!")

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

People who are into anime keep assuring me power limiters are a very cool concept, but I've yet to be convinced they're not really dumb.

When Shadow The Hedgehog removed his, it's like, a symbol of black culture throwing off the oppression of white people appropriating their signifiers, man, it's the greatest statement made in the history of ART.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kellsterik posted:

"Why don't you just make ten louder, and make ten the top number?"

...I just realised I don't know where my Spinal Tap blu-ray is. drat you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also Loki would totally post pictures of the new Thor to MRA Reddits for trolling purposes. Maybe as a macro with "ya, i'm a girl, u Thor about it, bro?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

cisneros posted:

The best thing was that they called the Silver Surfer in to stop him and he wrecked him instead of jobbing it like usual.

They fought through Cable's city and were rebuilding the buildings they destroyed AS they fought, it was awesome.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Albuquerque is a phenomenal artist (his covers for Nomad are some of my favourite covers EVER), and the piece is beautifully rendered and is very good at conveying the disquiet and creepiness it's aiming for. It absolutely should not have even been considered for the purpose they were planning on using it for, though. People compared it to the Manara Spider-Woman piece, but it's more like if Marvel got Manara to do a cover for Squirrel Girl. (Or maybe the Thor cover he was going to do before that blew up.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Random unsourced without context.

Does anyone here actually have the Christian tracts that were done with the Archie characters? Those seem like they'd be fertile material.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Woulda never guessed Benes. No butts in frame.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
'Chippy/chippie' is slang for a fish and chips takeaway place. Most British cities will have one every 100 feet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fatherdog posted:

It's also slang for a prostitute. Most British cities will have one every 100 feet.

Used to be every 50 feet, but, y'know, the recession....

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was gonna say it should be Blank Space just because I like that song and fuckin' hate Shake It Off, but honestly? Blank Space is also a pretty fitting song for Jen's love life, so I think it's a better joke.

However, fake-Buzzfeed cat-video list is great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

General Bort posted:

Did Slott ever explain why he seemed to hate the Juggernaut thing so much?

I think a lot of nerds thought it was out of character for Jen to sleep with a 'bad guy'. (I don't remember if that scene happened during a period when Juggy was an X-Man or not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
False advertising! His ego is clearly only 1:2 scale!