Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

It's possible I'm missing :thejoke: but Fraction used to have a pretty massive substance abuse problem, I think he met KSD because they were in the same recovery program.

Warren Ellis message board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I call dibs on the powers of Dionysus and Bacchus :cheers:

When Malachite_Dragon calls D.I.B.S.! He gets the combined powers of Dionysus, Iris, Bacchus, and Selene, becoming the hero of the gay bars!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Totally forgot Mutagen Man was a thing. That toy was probably the grossest TMNT figure.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Samovar posted:

Aaaaahhh.

(Can't find the drat clip on youtube.)

Batman and Piderman? They're best friends.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Give Jason Aaron the Avengers.

And The New Batman Adventures had Over the Edge, so shut your mouths.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I've been waiting almost fifteen years for a 9-11 Spider-Man joke to be funny, and I haven't found a single one. John Romita Jr is as New York as it gets when it comes to comic books.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I also hope it drives another nail in the coffin of the five people who think bringing Mar-Vell back would be a good idea.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

And he was in Rick Remender's Venom. What ended up happening with Kraven's daughter? She was kind of cool.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't care how in character it is, it's loving dumb.

No one has said it isn't in character because who cares

I thought it was funny. Good thing you're not an editor or we wouldn't get anything good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I like panel 2. All the even number panels are great. Something something, Star Trek movies.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Haven't read issue 3 yet, but I really love Wilma in this series. She's got a lot of heart. I also loved the ending with Dino. After all the mammoth dishwashers , and other crap fails to make them happy, Fred returns it all, but can only get store credit. Fred seed Dino, and is told that he's from a discontinued line, and is going to be thrown out. "What's it do?" "Nothing." "I'll take it."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Green Goblin is better than Kingpin and Luthor because he has a legit psychosis that drives him to be a criminal. Lex Luthor was the one pulling a Green Goblin in Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.

One of the best Spider-Man stories is where Norman finds out Peter's identity. Spidey has a chance to leave Norman to die in a fire, and keep his secret safe, but saves him anyways. Norman gets amnesia, and forgets even being the Green Goblin, but the threat of him remembering hangs over Peter.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

That was John. And I found it kinda funny cause he really only says that about Hal, so I take it to mean he totally buys Bats' hype. Guy obviously gets no say in anything Batman related forever.

What? Green Lanterns don't buy Batman's poo poo. Guy got one punched, but at least he called him out. And in JLA (maybe Tower of Babel?) Batman is talking to Kyle, and Kyle is sketching Batman with his ring, making him look like a cartoon vampire. John was never in any of the iconic Justice Leagues in the comics, so he never really got much of a chance stand up to Batman, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did at some point.

If you want to make your character look cool, just have them clown on Batman.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

iirc, it was a joint program between the US and Canada, but the US pulled out in like, the fifties.

Location chat, I'm in Michigan, so I have the Great Lakes Avengers to protect me! :confuoot:

In Marvel, we're screwed. DC we're pretty good though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Well yeah, we have the Marvel Family across the lake in WI (pretty close for someone who can fly fast) and then in Detroit we have John Stewart, who almost never screws up. almost :smith:

Guy Gardner went to college in Michigan. Jason Rusche Firestorm, Vibe, Commander Steel, the newer Crimson Avenger. Usually if they aren't white, there's a good chance they're from Detroit.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

Is a Flinstones comic doing a jokey version of Family, Private Property, and the State? DAMMIT I DO NOT WANT TO READ A FLINSTONES COMIC DON'T MAKE ME.

It's really good. Fred Flintstone might be the most relatable guy in comics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Mephistone. You guys missed the obvious one.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Suck on it. That video is awesome. Superman and wrestling Landis is great.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Have you no faith in son of Ja Aaron? There's a war amongst the realms, and Loki is the master of looking good when he's bad, or bad when he's good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Bloodly posted:

The best way to think of it, as far as I can see, is: They were always the 'Modern Stone Age family'. 'Modern' has changed. Not sure whether to judge it as good or foul.

It's just that they don't have to pull their punches like a Cold War era cartoon. While the humor is pretty dark, not unlike Prez, anything with Wilma is usually very heart warming. She's full of art and love, transcending the pitfalls of modern life.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

If it's anything it is probably a reference to Plato's Republic which talks about the concepts of the real and metaphysical world and uses the analogy of a man in the cave.
But it is totally a callback to the 90's Hideo Kojima game Snatchers where Plato's Cave was a bar you went to as part of the case.

My dumb rear end thought it was a reference to the resale clothing store Plato's Closet. Don't know if they even have those outside of Michigan.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I never knew how bad I wanted a comic chronicling the recruit, training, deployment, and immediate death of an Abu Hajjar-esque Hydra grunt.

There was that one shot during Secret Wars, but the off hours of a Hydra agent are much more suburban.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

would be funnier if it was randy savage

Randy Savage is the Champion. Brush up on your comics that inspire episodes of Dexters Lab.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Knormal posted:

Does he have wings under his arms like the Wile E. Coyote bat-suit?

It's where Gene Simmons got the idea for his wings.

And that non fight in World War Hulk as bullshit. JR jr agrees, and wishes he could have done a whole issue of just them fighting.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

techknight posted:

Super Powers (2016) #1

Just wanted to mention that Art Baltazar is the best guy to meet at cons. Everyone should have one of his $1 crayon sketches. My friend asked for Wolverine, and got a naked, hairy Wolverine, with one set of bone claws, a set of adamantium claws, smoking a cigar. I got Batcow and Robin Robin.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Slashrat posted:

If I ask for the context for that page, would the answer make it less funny?

New Avengers #18 (2016). The whole issue is pretty funny, and paves the way for U.S.Avengers. It even has flying cake and Squirrel Girl's supporting cast.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but one's a baby, that makes it weirder for me. Rachel Summers would be a lot weirder if when she was introduced Scott Summers had a baby named Rachel.

Let me tell you about Franklin Richards...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Didn't Ikon bite it at the start of Infinity?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

There's a wood chipper scene.

And you impale a guy on a rhinos horn. You kill a guy on a museums display of a sacrificial altar, and watch the blood flow down. Game was real brutal. I think you could feed a guy into a circular saw.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I rather like that scene.

I'd love it more if Ollie had a Superman signal arrow. The best trick arrow.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Even though Colossus became Juggernaut by appealing to Cyttorak against Marko when he was controlled by the Serpent.

Juggernaut usually takes Colossus or the Thing out in a punch or two. Thor has to pull some magic out of his rear end to stop him. He gets jobbed occasionally, but most of the time the heroes barely survive the encounter.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I have this issue. I love this issue.

He went to college with Bruce Wayne and recognizes him by his cologne. I forget the bullshit they used to outsmart him, but he had a cool concept of being the crime eraser; where he'd "erase" the evidence at a crime scene. Really can't believe he hasn't been used in the last twenty years. He's at the top of my list after Batmanga and Morrison used Death Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

goatface posted:

Then Frank goes into a long arc of going about his business while occasionally fighting off demon hunters/demonic rivals, culminating in an extended clash of wits with Blade and Dr. Druid as they team up to try and kill off the number three demonic presence on the Eastern Seaboard?

And Frank gets empowered by angels? That'd be great, right?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Peter was so committed to that ugly rear end shirt.

Even for the early nineties that show was a crime against fashion. That shirt has nothing on MJ's yellow sweater.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

There's a few good avatars there.

I would join that avatar crew. I'd either want to be the Flash or Aquaman's nipples.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Old Odd Man is in the back ups of Mother Panic, and may be passing the costume down to his daughter.

Beefeater was watching over the British super villain prison in Batman Incorporated.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

There was that one Deadpool Annual where Howard the Duck made an appearence after Wade froze everything with the Infinity Gauntlet. She Hulk should have made a quick cameo. She's the missing link.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ygolonac posted:

(Uncanny X-Men 542, says the source page)

Best part of Fear Itself, and it had Greg Land on art! It was a fresh take on the traditional Juggernaut story. Juggernaut is like a genre himself. Thor, Spider-Man, X-Men, but only in a Hulk book does it really become a brawl.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, I loved Identity Crisis the first time I read it, because I was 14 at the time.

I still think it has some pretty great dialogue. Also, Rags Morales art was on point.

I'd totally buy a book by Meltzer and Morales of super heroes just talking to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Alacron posted:

C'mon, you gotta post the rest of it.

Love that page. It's also cute Ma Kent has a thing for Alan Scott.

Batman and Superman both have a parent who a fan of his.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 28, 2017