Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually JMS explained it as Odin's spell that made Donald Blake not exist any more stopped working with Ragnarök, so he just spontaneously came into existence again as his own being, since Thor was gone.
But Donald Blake only existed as Odin's spell :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm in love with Thors #1. What a great concept.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Use your shaving heat-vision to burn off the layers of skin that the ink is actually on.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Phylodox posted:

That is impressively ugly.

Also, I thought Beak was just a regular ol' sapien now.
Continuity is dead. Long live the new continuity.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

Is that jet fuel joke real or a dumb edit
It's an edit from earlier in this very thread.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty sure that at one point someone tried to make the canon that his eyes were portals to another dimension of composed of pure energy, so you're not far off.
It's king-sperg drivel from the Official Marvel Handbook.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, it's like someone saying that anti-universes are because the electrons orbit the atoms the *other way*, or the planets follow different orbital directions/trajectories. It is interesting when you see the difference in narrative between old comics and new ones - they know they can't just spitball bullshit because some amateur NdT or the *real* NdT will call them on it.
I think old comics were happy to spitball things because their main audience was more than happy to accept "okay, Cyclops' eyes work like a plant and shoot energy" while newer comics' audience contain outspoken and insufferable nerds who can't just accept "shoots punchbeams" as an explanation and need to invent extensive explanations for how things physically work in a world where DNA contains code for turning into steel before they can suspend their disbelief. Like the difference between roleplayers who just want a rough structure to drape their collaborative storytelling over and the ones who need extensive tHAC0 and encounter tables so they know the DM isn't 'cheating'.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Plot twist: It isn't! It's Psylocke

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Skwirl posted:

There's a bit in Injustice when she gets pissed off at Doctor Fate because he goes by Doctor and has no medical knowledge.
Which was dumb as gently caress.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I would - and not just because I like the Squirrel Girl art - but because I also experience profound schadenfreude from the impotent bitching about it that happens every time USG is brought up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

spudsbuckley posted:

I can never figure out if goons are being ironic about liking Squirrel Girl.

That art is loving dire and the character is standard "plucky wisecracking female protagonist". Suppose the writers know that there is a subsection of people who seem to lap that character up every time it crops up.
I don't know, is this lovely opinion ironic? If not, then why would its opposing lovely opinion be? I read an article the other day saying the age of irony is over, so I guess everyone really is this much of a bitch over how legitimately artistic the loving illustrations of a book about a girl who has adventures with a goddamn squirrel are.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

You seem angrier than anyone else here about all this, are you okay? All anyone else has said is they don't like the art, you're the only one actively being hostile and seemingly on the verge of a meltdown over it.
Haha yeah let me get my blood thinners out because man you can tell I am totally steamed up about this poo poo from that sentence where I said I was enjoying it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Please tell me he's looking at Stilt-Man out the window.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

I know originally Sinister's design was meant for a different concept--some kid's imaginary boogeyman made real iirc--that changed as other writers got a hold of the character. Doesn't matter. The costume still doesn't work but is too iconic for Marvel to retire and that sucks because the concept of Sinister alone puts him in the top 10 X-villains list.
Actually his costume owns.
It's distinctive, has a simple enough design that you can alter the details without changing the essential costume, and the 'cape' offers a lot of scope for drawing it to dramatically highlight anything about Sinister's character from his creepiness, power, shadowy nature, or simply filling up a panel to make him seem a larger presence than he would otherwise. You can strip a lot of details away from Sinister, but the cape is such a good artistic tool for visually conveying Sinister as something more than a boob in a bodysuit that it's no wonder artists don't stray far from it.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qd6vRG9aWE&t=4m55s

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

And this goober is exactly why Marvel will never ever change it. Sinister's costume is seared in the minds of 90s manchildren because as a stand-alone design it does work, but it has no loving business on a hybrid of Victorian and Nazi science-gone-bad. Oh if only I had said as much in my original post... if only... what a world that would have been...
I'm an 80s manchild, thank you very much.

e: it's ironic you complain about 90s manchildren since that's when all the Victorian sciencemans stuff was bolted on to him. Your complaint is exactly backward - his retroactive backstory doesn't match his costume.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 13, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

zoux posted:

I think he's pretty shocked, as we all were on that fateful day, when we learned that USA was impersonating the president to foil an assassination attempt.
I think he's just shocked that his magic bullet entered USA's body from the back, fractured into pieces, only to then ricochet off his chest.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The origin of Spider Hero is pretty great. Someone should post that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Well yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'd do after losing my weakness for wood.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

I smell a newspaper Spider-Man / Green Lantern team-up!

"Spider-Man, you're no match for me! You only get hit in the head with bricks--! I can get a head injury from any object!"
Superheroes my subject, bricks my medium.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Hey, why don't we eat monkey?
It's often called bushmeat.

The reason the practice is not widespread is because it turns out that when your genetic friends are infected with something like, say, ebola, then handling and eating their flesh tends to give you the exact same thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Wait is Ratatoskr the antagonist in the new Squirrel Girl comic? If so that's kind of brilliant

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Here's a riddle: Why did people ever think a mullet was a good look?
It's all the coolness of long wavy hair without it getting in the way of your eyes while you were burning through a truck coupling with home-made acid you concocted while imprisoned in a janitor's cupboard for some reason.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Don't pretend like Fabio is not fabulous.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

In the 80s the slogan for VW was "it's not a car, it's a volkswagen", so it should really be Hercules making the pop culture references since he doesn't gently caress off to Asgard constantly.

You know who else liked the VW Beetle? The Nazi, Hitler.

[What If the Avengers Had Lost the Evolutionary War?]

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not an expert but I don't think Jews believe in heaven.
It's in literally the first line of the Torah.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Travis343 posted:

They do that trope where a couple mixes up their glasses on the nightstand the next morning except they grab each other's mask by accident. Neither of them notice for a week.

[Deadpool Annual 2]

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Also, Liefeld was just going to make his own Agent America until Simon threatened to sue him.

So he licensed Fighting American, gave him a shield and got sued by Marvel.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

zoux posted:

I mean how many pages and pages of arguments do we have in this forum about who Superman is or isn't as a character and how he's supposed to be this idealized version of humanity and in the entire Silver Age he was basically a huge rear end in a top hat and everyone is like "YES YES MORE MORE".
For the same reason that people have arguments over who Batman is while still clamoring for Batman '66 - because people are able to differentiate between a serious story detailing a character with certain qualities and a farcical story using established characters to enhance the farce.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Agreed. I would much rather read a synopsis of the madness within and then let my brain fill in the gaps than actually read the story. The only really old comics that are good to read are, as always, Spidey Super Stories.
Other than the Future Sports™ most of 2000AD holds up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I've so far read the first 75 issues of the book in the last year (I do everything sloooowly) and the future sports aren't too bad besides the point where they literally recycled their own plot, having the exact same characters try to sabotage the team in the exact same ways. It's stuff like Shako that feels uninspired and a waste of space to me.
I'd forgotten about Shako.

Oh, and whatever that one was where the Tories help Nazis Russian Fascists occupy Britain.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Like I said, I'm about 75 progs in now (and have a LOT to go) and I'm already seeing a pattern. Good stories they write more and more until the writer's clearly tired of it (Judge Dredd never ends). Crummy stories (usually filled with overly obvious plots and that selfsame overnarration) might last like, 8 or 10 installments. I suspect this will remain true to today's progs.
Judge Dredd is helped a lot by the rotation of writers and differing tone of stories. I think Rogue Trooper was the biggest casualty of writer fatigue.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Opopanax posted:

But which side will Squirrel Girl be on?
Squirrel Girl only shows up to events involving the true nuts.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

GLX-MAS 1

It's pretty good and it knows canon. Not sure why it riles people up so much. I mean, other than the fact that SG is depicted as a plain nerd.

[Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #4]

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

No the Thors are Doom's police.
You say that but half of those are 616 canon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Check out those gams in the last panel :eyepop:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Please keep in mind the consequences of escalation of force.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Please cook your shrimps and eggs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Selachian posted:

Looking at the second panel again, I notice the artist, in an apparent attempt to make Gwen look wide-eyed and innocent, has given her a bit of a Marty Feldman look.
I don't think they were going for an "innocent" look for her inviting Peter out for Netflix and chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Superman knew.