Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

To expand on this, part of Killer Mike and El-P's promotion of this was asking artists all over the world to create their own spin on the group's gun-hand and hand-holding-chain motif http://tagthejewels.tumblr.com/ and Azrar and Young both were asked if they could do a variant cover with it by Marvel's editor in chief.

Then Mike and El-P flipped out because they are both massive comic book guys :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
So what am I looking at picking up if I want to read the adventures of Rockslide, the boy who can't take anything seriously and likes to blow himself up

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
I wouldn't be surprised if Thor thinks Loki is responsible but just put him at the bottom of the list anyway because investigating Loki's schemes is a massive headache that can't be solved by hitting things with a hammer, and he really doesn't want to deal with that unless he absolutely has to

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
there's a lot of angry posting so here is a (probably reposted) page of rockslide talking to a giant monster that protects the gem that gives the juggernaut his power (I think)

from Amazing Xmen 16

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Lurdiak posted:

Awkward.

is it just a coincidence that superman just happens to have a baby's face here

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
I want it on a shirt.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Isn't that one of the things the writers liked to insert into the scripts to make sure the editors were actually paying attention? Still pretty great, either way. I remember there were a few others, but can't find them.

The go to example of this is from when Matt Damon and Ben Affleck were looking for a studio and "turned down every offer, until they met Harvey Weinstein at Miramax, who had read the script the night before. In his recollection of the meeting, Weinstein asked about an out-of-place, mid-script oral sex scene, which Damon and Affleck explained was a test to see which studio executives had actually read the script. Weinstein said he was the only one to mention the scene, and that this is what led to their partnership"

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Zore posted:

apparently Steve Rogers has always been an undercover Hydra Agent.

Yeah. That's a real thing Marvel's going with now.

is vince russo in charge of marvel's character arcs now or something

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Alhazred posted:

I still wonder. The "people who get aroused by a man dressed like Godzilla and a woman dressed as a city" market can't be that big.

yeah but if your employer falls into that market then you've got it made my friend

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

muscles like this? posted:

Unfortunate news, turns out that the next two issues do not have any more Living Ghost stories.

Edit:

Goodbye

Final image, Tony's dumb plan from the first issue.

I'm choosing to believe he's shrieking because the mud is colder than he thought

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
there's a page later in that book where villains crash the wedding and prowler gets sucker punched because he's trying to concentrate on wisecracking like spiderman does and doesn't notice the shot coming because he doesn't have spider sense

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Choco1980 posted:

Actually they're waiting at county general to patch him up. The cop is like the one good cop on Monster Beat, and apparently last time the docs screwed up the bandages, so he's sticking around to make sure it's done right.

so is it like a cop comic version of Ugly Americans? because I could dig that

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Choco1980 posted:

Well the main central character has been Prudence (where "Code Pru" comes from) the EMT with the rear end, also working monster beat, and it's less of a comedy, but otherwise, yeah pretty much. I loved Ugly Americans, by the way.

Cinema Purgatorio is an anthology book spearheaded by Alan Moore that I've liked 100%. Moore's effort (teamed with his LoEG buddy Kevin O'Neil) has a faceless narrator having dreams (?) of going to this old theater that shows dark, twisted versions of genre theater, often removing the artifice of hollywood. Code Pru is actually a Garth Ennis joint but doesn't feel as misanthropic as he normally does. Kieran Gillan does Modded, about a sort of mix between Mad Max setting, and a Pokemon or Shin Megami Tensei type world where things are not so bright and cheery, and a fairy like girl has to have her mentor show her the ropes of how violent the daemon-fighting is in an attempt to rescue her first creature, which was kidnapped by an awful trainer. There's also The Vast by Cristos Gage, which is a very Pacific Rim esque story of Kaiju running amok that also have the ability to mutate the world around them. And finally, Max Brooks brings us A More Perfect Union, a what if where the American Civil War is fought instead of brother vs brother, man vs monster. It's decent if for no other reason than he loads it with historical accuracies, and usually has a text history lesson afterwards detailing the real story for the characters places and technologies he uses.

Every story in the book is a winner to my personal preferences, and I'd read a whole book of Code Pru

cool, thanks for the detailed answer! i'm definitely going to think about picking it up then, those sound really cool.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Say Nothing posted:

I guess it's true, he has deflected bullets using his powers before.

Luffy does it better, though.

reed understands the consequences of firing a dozen bullets back at someone who is presumable not superpowered given they're using a gun, right

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
that's what he says, but really bats is just a big karaoke fan

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Kwyndig posted:

Is... is Spidey going to shove that cake in his eye hole?

edit: No wait that's ice cream... still doesn't make sense.

to me it looks like he's about to flick it and send it flying

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i don't think mythological thor has any qualms about being rude

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
what happens if the planet flies through one of the large gaps between the members

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
why's thor getting involved tho

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

is spidey stealing someone's bag

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
hes not getting in to a petty argument over pointless bullshit while his and other peoples' lives are all in danger so it actually proves he's the least human

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Taskmaster breaking the fourth wall in Secret Empire 9.

taskmaster being the sane supervillain is always funny, like the bit in i think the Siege even where he realised that he was way outta his depth

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Section Z posted:

It fits with his origin story having "And then after mimicking an Olympic dive perfectly, I almost drowned because I forgot to learn how to swim too." making him learn early to know when he is... out of his depth :downsrim:

i wasnt aware of this and it's amazing, thank you

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

joehonkie posted:

Those panels makes me sad.

they're actually incredibly funny

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
perfectly safe until you try and take it off without the proper code sequence

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Synthbuttrange posted:

What if Galactus got a series in the 90s?

im choosing to believe that galactus fired ghost rider out of his huge gun, based on the gun's glow and the wheel of ghost riders bike

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

ecavalli posted:

Yeah, but I doubt the go-to treatment is locking the klepto in a hellish madhouse filled with murderers and lunatics.

i dunno sounds pretty american to me

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Push El Burrito posted:

What would Thor even keep in those pouches? Extra Mjolnirs?

a cheeseburger, just in case he bumps in to molecule man

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

no, that's spider-man

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Duke Igthorn posted:

He steals the toy in panel 7 and the wordless fight continues until the end. Very subtle.

Why did Gwenpool end? I thought it was popular?

oh man, ive seen that sequence a few times and never noticed that before, pretty neat

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Zil posted:

By that logic a rich billionaire play boy has also smashed through one of the windows as well.

is this the one where the pain of losing his parents was too much for him to live with

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
yeah because it means you can desert the ship instead of fighting to the end

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
im not sure how people continue not believing him when thanos is literally in his workplace

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
nsm always makes me feel like im stroking out our something

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

wyntyr posted:

I chuckled in real life so I imagine I’d actually guffaw if the real actual Spider-Man was delivering it thirty feet in front of me.

i'd be long gone because being near a superhero seems like a reliable suicide method

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
the napoleon one is great because some random on the street apparently thinks napoleon managed to cheat death and is still alive in contemporary new york

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
unbeatable is so drat good

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
hang on the thing was spiky?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Endless Mike posted:

Nah, Superman, he was right. ACAB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
yeah he uses some cable as a makeshift bowstring to launch hyperion at someone like an arrow