Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Synthbuttrange posted:

doc strange 2023

"Then upon your own heads be it." Is the best way to end a wedding ceremony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

FFT posted:

It is absolutely ridiculous how many comic runs there are that are only distinguishable by the year they started.

The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
The Amazing Spider-Man (1979)
The Amazing Spider-Man (1982)
The Amazing Spider-Man (1999)
The Amazing Spider-Man (2014)
The Amazing Spider-Man (2015)
The Amazing Spider-Man (2018)
Amazing Spider-Man (2022)

I'm sure I've missed some, and there are so, so many "Amazing Spider-Man: ________" runs in addition to that.

Anyway that Electro page is from Amazing Spider-Man (2022) #9

That's because they figured out that sales went up when they restart a series with "Issue #1" So they periodically reset the numbering on series.

But sometimes they also revert back to the old numbering system to celebrate milestones and such, cuz that also causes upticks in sales.

And sometimes they just arbitrarily renumber stuff for reasons.

Comic are weird, and so is the comics business.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Telepaths #3 (2021)

When did Stirling Archer become a cop?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

site posted:

i think you posted a thumbnail

Doh! That's what I get for phone posting. I'll have to dig it up when I'm on my pc. It's the page of Taskmaster talking to the gangster who hired him to play golf.

It's also the series where Nick Fury calls Taskmaster "Sleep Apnia Skeletor".

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

What does SCPA stand for?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

As i remember one of the other big problems with the New Universe was this fear from existing fans that this line was going to replace the main Marvell timeliness.
Fans refused to read the NU books because they didn't want to replace Spiderman.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Splint Chesthair posted:

Shooter was allegedly very keen on replacing the existing Marvel heroes with new versions, so it wasn’t entirely unfounded. I want to say Spider-Man’s black costume was commissioned by Shooter to be a design for an all-new Spidey and there were plans for a Native American Captain America but I’m probably mixing up the details.

NA Cap sounds vaguely familiar.
I was in high school and really liked a couple of the NU titles, but I remember them getting poo poo on at the shops by other people who claimed they were trying to replace all the existing marvel titles. Comics fans never change.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Inkspot posted:

Probably thinking of the "twist" from Marvel 1602.

nah, I'm remembering reading and or being told about NA cap back when I was a kid and the NU was current.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I remember being really into DP7, Spitfire and uh... Justice?? but I went back and tried to read a few of them as an adult and they felt pretty bland. They did a lot of interesting things but they were very much mid-80's comics and were still figuring a lot of things out. I feel like NU crawled so that Ultimate Universe could run (and often stumble).

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Note to self:
Be on the lookout for coffin shaped suitcases, they may contain legless Dracula.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Keen Detective Funnies #11 (1938)

I would guess that being paid at all would make him the highest paid Radio Ventriloquist.

ImpAtom posted:

In case people don't get the refrence

So Billy just sits around as Captain Marvel and reads the newspaper?
Does he need the Wisdom of Solomon to read?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Upsidads posted:

Santa clearly is mentally ill and in a costume this he's in Batmans Rogue gallery and probably already locked up in Arkham

I could be mixing up different comic series, but I'm pretty sure this is a thing.
I recall a comic, (Power Girl?), where a mental patient with powerful telekinetic powers who thought he was Santa escaped from an asylum and used his powers to animate a flying sleigh and reindeer.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The_Other posted:

That was from Alan Moore's Top Ten.

Edit: here's a pic from that issue.

Yup! that's what I'm thinking of.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Has JJJ run for president yet?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Suleman posted:

That would be Typhoid Mary, a femme fatale Daredevil villain with dissociative identity disorder of varying severity, murderous tendencies and a number of psychic powers.

She has the blessing and the curse of being designed at a very specific time in fashion history.

Yeah. It was a thing.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Forum accident posted:

ST:TNG was the only comic book I had a subscription to as a kid and it's bizarre, barely Star Trek at all, but the one thing I always remember about it is how they decided to give everyone an eyepatch in the mirror universe, including Geordi.

Does Geordi have a patch on his visor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Justice League of America #258 (1987)

"Vibe? never heard of him." Was my exact response when reading this as a kid, and I think they killed him off like a couple issues later.