Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

(The Rover, c. 1928.)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Beano, probably from the mid-1940s.

They subsequently featured strips starring a character called:

DC Thomson sure do love Dick.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Squizzle posted:

Good ol' Dick Comics Thompson. :cheers:

their "policy of giving no credit" - i.e. eternal campaign against giving authors or artists credit (even to the extent of searching for and removing signatures/initials artists snuck in) is p dickish; also their spat with Viz in the '90s* that led to this:

I find this funny because of how unfunny it is - ymmv.

[h/t to best chum for info on both these bits of DC Thomson history]
* Link has an SSL error but I can't find an alternate.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 17, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Ahh, this is the kind of stuff The Dover Boys was making fun of.

Not quite - "The Dover Boys" was inspired by The Rover Boys, while that strip from The Dandy was part of a then-60-year-long series of DC Thomson weekly comics :)

The Rover Boys is a classic series in the running-jumping-climbing-trees American school story mould. I don't think you can directly compare those school stories with the grand trad of British boarding school stories and weekly comics like The Beano and The Dandy but there's definitely common themes.

Anyway here's superman being a dick.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

The Something Awful ForumsThe Finer ArtsBatman's Shameful SecretPost Funny Panels: a centerpiece for a clown banquet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Happy valentine's day. don't forget to hold dick.