Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah OK why could it not have been fabricated?

I'm fabricating UFO things right now, in my mind.

My favorite 'are you serious' moment is when in Angels and Demons, Dan Brown describes how the Illuminati have a special symbol that spells 'Illuminati' both right side up and upside down, and that nobody except them can produce, or reproduce it.

He then reproduces it on the page so readers understand what it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That meaning predates the tongue stuff. There's evidence of it in the Aeneid who attributed it to Etruscan Lictors who carried out corporal punishment. Being beaten by their rod of office was known as 'getting lict'..

To lick with a tongue came about ~1000 AD and since they sound similar started getting spelled the same as English evolved.

Yup, Lictors in Rome were a specific type of bodyguard, basically for government officials.

The thing to remember with English is that words come from all over the place, and sound-alike doesn't mean actually-alike.

For example, in English, the words 'male' and female' aren't etymologically related.

https://sillylinguistics.com/the-words-man-woman-male-and-female/

It's also why different words have different rules for pluralization, and why we have the whole 'i before e except after c except for exceptions like 'neighbour' or 'weigh.'' Does the word come from Latin? Welsh? Saxon? Angle? Dane? French? Somewhere else completely? Where it's from will determine, amoung other things, the whole 'i before e' thing.

Also 'goose' and 'geese' or 'mouse' and 'mice' vs 'bird' and 'birds' or 'cat' and 'cats.'

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 19, 2024

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ManiacClown posted:

To this day I think the most humorously apt thing I've ever heard said of the English language is that "English is what happens when a language goes to prison."
Paraphrasing:

"English doesn't just borrow words from other languages, it chases them into dark alleys, raps them soundly about the head, and rifles through their pockets for them."

"English is Latin, German and French standing on each other's shoulders wearing a trenchcoat."

Really, English is a pidgin language that got really enthusiastic.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

What's never skip leg day in latin?

Numquam deficere crus diem, per Iovem.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Dick In The Shadows: My Time as Batman's Sidekick Robin

Dick's Out: Leaving Batman's Shadow and Becoming Nightwing

Dick In Black: Taking Over The Mantle of Batman

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Philippe posted:

Why is he wearing the Kiryu suit

I mean, it's not a double-breasted butterfly collar suit, it's...a white sports coat.

He probably isn't even rocking the double monk strap shoes.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

PainterofCrap posted:

To be fair, Ben Franklin probably hosed anything that stood still long enough. He was very discreet about it, though.

If by 'discreet' you mean 'wrote essays about it' then yes, he was very discreet.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

SimonChris posted:

Sins of Sinister #1(2023)

The deadpan final line made me laugh.

Reminds me of Uber and the WW2 history book it was referencing with that tone and writing style.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I've never quite figured out if he has purple skin and is really just wearing a halter top, briefs and stripper boots, but only his face is rocky, or if he's wearing a purple body suit under his gogo attire, but also for some reason the rest of him isn't, you know, rocky.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

I always thought it would be funny if there was a Superman comic where he just does actually look super out of shape because e doesn't ever actually physically exert himself the way a normal human who looks buff does.

Rising Stars explores this sort of thing. For example, there's a character who is physically invulnerable. He winds up overweight, out of shape, and working as a security guard, because being invulnerable actually isn't that useful without all of the secondary powers usually assumed to be included. For example, he tries to become a football player, but sucks; he's not fast, he's not strong; he just doesn't get hurt when he gets tackled, but it's not like he got extra inertia rooting him in place. He terribly overeats because due to the complete lack of physical sensation in his skin, his sole source of physical pleasure is the taste of food. I think it's strongly implied that he is sexually dysfunctional due to the 'can't feel physical touch' thing. He just doesn't enjoy the idea of exercise or working out, so he doesn't.

He's also easily murdered by being suffocated; he's invulnerable, but still needs to breathe.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Darthemed posted:

Superman / Supergirl: Maelstrom #3 (2009)

Cape Buffalo has entered the chat.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Sure there's an interesting concept somewhere of Hitler being cloned indefinitely via Venture Bros sleeping pod memory backup devices, so the Nazi Time Cops basically replace him every time someone comes back in time to kill him - Thus always maintaining the timeline no matter how many times he's killed

Reminds me of this classic:

https://reactormag.com/wikihistory/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Darthemed posted:

I think so, yeah.

House of Secrets #61 (1963)

Not even a photon of light can escape, but radio waves can? Hmmmmm.