Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Yvonmukluk posted:

Playing a South American guerilla leader. :psyduck:

WHO....is effortlessly able to dodge Captain Reb Brown's Shield throw (and the ricochet shot) , because he was used to fighting tribes who hunt using Boomerangs.

God bless the Spoony One for bringing that film to my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

To answer the question being asked, yes it was horrific. I'm going off memory here and I'd have to look it up, but I seem to recall that evil Stark hacks her processors and she morphs over her body like a Symbiot. But I'd have to look it up.

It was in Kirkman's Marvel Team Up series which was part of an overall effort to wrap up all of his ongoing plots from all his books. (so the Diamondback LMD from his Cap run ended up in Marvel Team Up, as did the Jubilee's Robot Grandma too. Don't ask, it was all very silly.)

Bottomline, I really didn't like Kirkman's Marvel stuff. By and large it was fairly meanspirited somehow.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Please post panels from the comic where they meet the scared guy in the foreground of that Action Comics cover.

It's from an issue of Batman/Superman where Darksied is a feeble powerless guy, Desad is lording it over Darkseid Superman is thrown into the Source Wall and Batman just has to have sex with Orion's wive since she's so smoking hot.

My favourite part from the Superman section is one panel where all three Batgirls show up (Cassandra Caine, Oracle and Barbara Gordon Batgirl pushing Oracle.) It's a funny section, so I'll try and post it this weekend.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Cabbit posted:

I'm still holding out hope that the final showdown against Agger involves Thor bringing in Hercules as a ringer. I mean if you want to take out a minotaur, who better?

Chris Kanyon.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Pieces of Peace posted:

"Pollution starts with people - like those loving negroes trying to move into Riverdale! Grab a noose, Arch!"

I really can't see pro-environmentalism there, especially when it's putting out a Reagan "trees cause pollution" level message of "factories don't make smog!"

I remember reading a Captain America comic from the 80's where Cap goes to this "idealistic" turn of the Century representation of America. But Cap figures there's plenty wrong about the place.
And when Cap goes looking for the Falcon and finds him as a "sho' nuff" shoe-shine boy he immediately figures out what the problem is.

Basically the place was combined from the minds of four different people all hooked up to a Computer. Cap's a little boy, a racist 80 year old granny and a Nazi sympathiser.
I didn't realize it at the time, but I get the feeling the story was deliberately targeting that Archie comic of "everything in the 1900's was better than now. What with people complaining about us beating on minorities."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

LoonShia posted:

He doesn't have any other shirt.

This came up in Charles Soule's Wolverines run.

Frank only has two T-Shirts. His classic Skull Shirt. And the red Skull shirt* he got for being a member of the Thunderbolts.

A female Fantomas steals his shirt to sell to a collector. Poor Frank, he has so few friends and to lose the one gift they gave him. :(

* = Note, not to be confused with a Red Skull T-Shirt. As that would make Frank very weird.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

Matt Murdock should save the hot chicks for people who can actually appreciate them.

It's the Ray Charle's effect.

Ray was blind, but even he went after the best looking ladies. (Apparently he could tell by holding their wrists.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Kevin Smith is a fantastic storyteller. In the sense that he is a really good raconteur.
The rise of the Podcast is probably the best format for Kevin Smith. And he was important for being the first big writter to really bridge the gap between comics as the obscure hobby and them as more mainstream pursuit.

As for his comic work, I liked his early stuff, even the Black Cat series. It's when he went near Batman that I thought his stuff became awful.
But the delays in his work output are legendary. His Black Cat mini was supposed to spin into a run on Spider-man written by Kevin. But because it took him so long to finish that mini, they scraped that plan.

One of the best jokes Wizard had was a mock wanted ad that read "Help! I've been in a coma the last two and a half years. I am trying to catch up on my comic reading. I can't seem to find the last few issues of Bullseye: The Target and Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do. Can anyone tell me how they ended?"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

People who are into anime keep assuring me power limiters are a very cool concept, but I've yet to be convinced they're not really dumb.

Well as we all know Superman doesn't in any way believe he should hold back his strength.

Part of the concept is it can be a dramatic way for a character to be shown stepping up their game in a fight.

The other part can be the artistic message that the hero understands that true strength comes not from lashing out, but from holding back. That control, discipline and calmness are virtues and to win with such a handicap only makes you even more powerful.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Tiggum posted:

It's not really control, discipline and calmness if you have to use some external object to apply limits to yourself. That's kind of the opposite really, like saying that you don't trust yourself to hold back when you should.

Sure it is. The arm bands may reduce her power, but she is the person who made the choice to put them on every day
Every time she is punched, she makes the decision to take on her foe at a reduced power set rather than take off the bracelets and resort to the nuclear option.

It's just a slightly different type of discipline is all.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I approve of the fact that the same font from the Social Network poster was used.

Well done.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The Male Circumcision thing is an odd debate. From a scientific point of view, many on the Pro-Circumcision side (from countries where it is practised like the US.) are very keen to champion it for health benefits and the argument that "you won't really notice the difference." Those against it (effectively all of Europe) will point to the fact that there is little actual health benefits at all to it that can't be replicated with normal cleaning and that it is a procedure carried out for traditional reasons.

The scientific article website Mosaic had a very interesting article about it (published in February of this year) where they not only looked at the historical and medical arguments behind it, but more disturbingly, how it is being used in Africa as part of a low cost method of combating HIV, with serious evidence it's doing more harm then good.

That being said, using charactertures of Jews, is really not the way to go.

So anyway, enough about that.
While looking through my old Flash issues, I came across these pics.

That's a fairly honest admission there Wally.

And there's Wally wishing he had a Queen song named after him.

Both from Flash #227 (Dec 05.)

And I was torn on posting these ones of Jay Garrick (the Greatest Flash) in this thread or the Bad rear end, but decided to put them here.

Truly you are the greatest Jay. From Flash #229 (Dec 05.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Selachian posted:

Let's not forget the Listener!

(okay, those are just *pictures* of ears all over his costume, but...)

I seem to recall that issue where the JLA build a robot to kick the poo poo out of the Blackhawks and make them wear dumb superhero costumes to be all kinds of hilarious.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Convergence: The Atom #2 brings Ryan Choi back to life :)

:stare:

"I'm tired of all these jokes about my giant hand. The first such incident occurred in..."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gavok posted:

Archie vs. Predator #2.

The best part about this page is later on, the cake is shown with bits of pop's skull and eyeball still in the chocolate cake. And despite this, Jug Head eats it.

This series is fantastic, it's on a par with Punisher Meets Archie.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jiro posted:

So Batman and Robin were at the WB studio lot subduing the Warner Brothers and Sister back into their water tower when Logan and Remy just jack the Batmobile?

What's more it looks like Gambit is looking to find the ash tray in the car. You know, so he and Wolverine can SMOKE all the way back to Westchester.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Benito Cereno posted:

In case anyone is wondering the plot of that issue since it comes up so often, the gist of it is that Superman decides to adopt Jimmy Olsen, but during like a "trial period" before the adoption is official, Superman receives a prediction that he will destroy his son, and so he acts like a jerk to Jimmy so that Jimmy will refuse to make the adoption official. Then it turns out that the actual prediction was that Superman would destroy a SUN, but at that point it is too late and the adoption does not go through.

So Superman decides to adopt Jimmy Olson (which means he must be an orphan. Unless Superman decided to ignore that little wrinkle. ) who is either a grown rear end man, or very nearly one. Either way, only a few years younger then Supes.

And then that fell apart because Superman clearly has a Greek Oracle telling him the future in a vague manner. That's the Silver Age.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the story behind the one where Superman is taunting Jimmy and Aquaman with a jug of water in the middle of the desert?

It's my all-time favourite Superdickery image - probably for the inclusion of Aquaman.

The Superman doing the taunting is a Greek god who has shapeshifted himself to look like Superman.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

I laugh so I don't cry.

Batgirl: Redemption Road #6

Batman: Don't worry Cassandra. I will sign off on the adoption papers and officially adopt you as my daughter.
Right after I take care of this Black Glove fellow. He sounds like a complete push over. I won't in any way need your help on this one, so take the week off.

AND HE WAS NEVER SEEN AGAIN!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

I've heard that but the few panels I've seen posted around didn't really sell me on it. Then again I haven't read the full thing so I'm not going to be too dismissive.

Harley can be a really excellent character, but it feels like there's four competing versions of her and the latter two consistently neutralize what's great about the first two:

1. The tragic woman abused by the predatory man she fell for, reclaiming her identity, which is a superlative arc and what most fans I've met fall back on to justify her even though it's only her origin arc at most.

2. The incredible variety of outfits and fun combat styles her red/black "sexy clown" motif can support which is the biggest reason for her continued popularity through memetic imagery like cosplay and merchandise, which I'm 110% in support of.

3. The directionless nothing her character becomes the instant you finish her origin arc, which she shares in common with characters like Hawkman and has writers trying to staple anything they can onto her in the hopes that it sticks.

4. The "Deadpool w/tits" meme factory which is absolutely insufferable and near-impossible to do well.

I'd argue there is a fifth version of her.

5. The devious Harleen Quinzelle. The woman who in the end cares about herself above everyone else. The character who does bad stuff and screws other people over, just to get what she wants. She isn't as popular because for some fans her existence conflicts with versions 1 and 2 of Harley, but in many ways it is just a valid interpretation of her.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

When I got my first smart phone (A Samsung Galaxy S3) the guy offered to sell me insurance which worked out at €5 a month extra.

Since it was the first time I had gotten a Smart Phone, I figured I'd go with it.

Two months into my contract I had smashed my phone twice and gotten replacement phones from the insurance. On that basis alone, I'd always advise someone to at least consider phone insurance as against the cost of replacing or repairing a phone.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So I went looking through my boxes of comics, and came across this gem.

It's from Dr. Doom and the Masters Of Evil #1. Essentially it's Doom teaming up with random super villains for REASONS!

In this issue he beats up the Sinister Six and makes them do his bidding. Mysterio is his favourite on the basis that he's the only one who didn't try to attack Doom.

To facilitate Doom's plans he upgraded Mysterio's illusion gas. Que Mysterio trying out the following disguises.

That's pretty good Mysterio that's actually really clever...

Oh wait!

Umm....Mysterio-sempai?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The Chameleon is a master of disguise, so his work would be a masterpiece of physical effects work and make up.

Mysterio with his powers is basically using green screen and CGI.
So to fit in, they all have to be CG.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Are Ock's arms nonchalantly pickpocketing a guy in that first page?

Twice. He's stealing from the food vendor in the first panel and a guy in the second panel.

He's a Superior Super Villain after all.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Uthor posted:

I found something written by Dan Slott funny!

Silver Surfer 3

The Cur-Lee maneuver! When executed properly, no one can defend from it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6_xDYvx3zk

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Just a quick update here.

Doom and the Masters of Evil is a fun series from the mid 2004's by Paul Tobin who did a lot of the Marvel Adventures stuff. Also the Pet Avengers which was awesome.

Issue 1 is the above scans where Doom threatens the Sinister Six to do a job for him.

Issue 2 is the issue where Doom recruits the Circus of Crime (AKA the one group of Marvel characters who will never be in the MCU.) and has them fight the Masters of Evil.
It's pretty awesome.

Issue 3 has unquestionably one of the best Recap pages ever produced. And in fact it could be just the recap page for every comic featuring Doom ever.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

theironjef posted:

Yeah, if there was ever a hero that would greatly benefit from just carrying around a bag of little rocks to throw, it's GL.

Drifter posted:

...all these years.

:negative:

Thanks. Goddamn this is dumb. So he got thin and knifey just because.

Nah you see Drax is like a RPG character. The player specifically built Drax as a flying/blaster type as the ultimate Thanos killing character.
But he completely failed at that.
So the Drax dies and comes back as a Hulk type. Which was the player retooling the character to make a better Thanos killer. But he also fails at this.

Then in the early 2000's the player watches Pitch Black, and remakes Drax into Riddick as a Rogue /Assassins type. And then he's finally able to kill Thanos.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

That's a fight between Tony Stark and the Orphan (aka Mr. Sensitive.)

It happens in Peter Milligan's X-Statics series.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

UnfurledSails posted:

From Injustice, don't know the issue.

I'm impressed by the lady wearing a Sinestro Corps T-shirt in panel 1
That is like wearing an IS shirt in Times Square.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

And if I remember, this was Cyborg's answer to Batman taking down the JLA Watchtower's comm system to stop them broadcasting it. Setting up a Twitter for Superman.

Even better. This was Damian (Bruce's own son) suggestion at how to get back at Batman after he locked up the Justice League in the Watchtower.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fun fact: lightsabre-knees there was one of Emperor Palpatine's menagerie of illegitimate children.

Poor old Triklops. Nobody loves him.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Wait, was he seriously advocating that we leave lead in gasoline? :magical:

He's the "cartoonist" for the Onion. You don't have to worry about it being serious.

Anyway, for added funny, I love this section from Secret Wars Thors #2.

Background, one of the two top Thors working a particularly baffling murder winds up dead. Ultimate Thor (yes, the Thor from the Ultimate Universe. Who is the top cop Thor and has the nickname Ultimate.) and the other Thor's decided to crack down on the usual leads to figure out who did it.

Now, ordinarily what amounts to two cops holding a suspect and beating information out of them shouldn't be funny. It should be an abuse of power and a twisting of Justice, Law and Order into something it's not.

However if you make the cops Viking Gods armed with magic hammers, and the suspect an Indestructible killer robot, then the image becomes hilarious again.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

People who insist on calling Sandman a "Graphic Novel" because they don't want their friends to think they read comics.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I look at that picture and I imagine Hawkman and Hawkwoman just getting into incredibly awkard and uncomfortable domestic rows and arguments during JLA adventures. And everyone turning blind eyes to it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

I had an old promotional comic from Norton/Symantec where Stark Industries was hacked and a ton of Tony's financial and tech assets were stolen, but I think NIS2010 helped get them back.

Oh, and I think Tony going after the cyber thieves with his Iron Man suit helped, too...

The Marvel Facebook game for a long time had an item called Norton Anti Virus shield.
It was an item that removed all debuffs from your hero and gave them a Shield. Even after the partnership with Norton expired, the items stayed in the game and are quiet valuable.

The their was the U Ops. Which were quests you did where you had to save all of Shield because someone had used Pirate Bay on the Helicarrier and now Fixer was able to steal their secrets.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Okay I get Edward Scissorshands, Lydia from Bettlejuice, Dana Sully from X Files, Zach from Saved by the Bell and Rufus from Bill & Ted.

Who is the guy in the middle? Mal Reynolds from Firefly? He's from the mid 2000's.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

You laugh, but the reason Prime's on a floppy is because he entered a video game virtual deathmatch with Megatron (on that kid's supercomputer), and the loser would have their body destroyed. Optimus lost because he went out of his way to save a bunch of video game NPCs even though they weren't real, and he ended up getting blown up.

Nobody knew that the kid saved Prime on disk, and for the next bunch of issues he uses Prime as a character in his video games, and Prime thinks he's just a character in the games.

Yeah.

e:

A good summary, but you got one crucial detail wrong.

So even though Megatron cheats in this game, Optimus still beats him.
However in beating Megatron, he ends up killing some of the computer generated npc's.
So Optimus Prime decides to self terminate as Prime views all digital beings as equal and killing them violates his whole "freedom is the rights of all sentient being" motto.

In short, when Optimus plays Metal Gear, he only does No Kill runs.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

My favourite thing about stronghold (Apart from the ending which is awesome and belongs in the badass thread) is the scientist also created this 8 foot tall super alien killing robot.

And whenever he met Jerry (the Xenomorph looking robot) he would go into alien killing mode. Until Jerry told him to stop and he'd say
"Xenomorph is talking. Xenomorph are incapable of talking. Conclusion, subject is Jerry."

Like this scientists builds this ultimate killing machine, but gives him the ED 209 level of intelligence.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Please, tell me this is a real crossover!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

SirDan3k posted:

Nah, comics very slowly tried to get away from being the place dudes go to jerk off to co-eds with the thinly veiled it's not porn delusion.

Miller didn't change, the world did.

Que Mark Miller walking a desolate waste land from Fallout.
"Comics never change."