Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Whatever happened to Morrison's 'secondary mutations' anyway? Tossed aside and forgotten like Daredevil's third costume and Bruce Jones' Hulk run?

What happened to Jones' run isn't a panel but it's funny in a black, petty way. Jones' run was far from perfect, but it started strong (I remember that there was a fair bit of praise for 'Return Of The Monster', Issue #36 I believe that was), and while it sort of petered out it had stuff like bringing Betty Ross back from the dead. Then Jones leaves and Peter David comes back and writes an arc where Nightmare shows up and says 'I've been making you imagine things for years! Go me! Ha ha ha!" and just like that Jones' run never happened. It was the most MEAN and spiteful nerd retcon I've ever seen in comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Jughead's lack of interest in girls is one of those things that makes sense when you're a kid reading Archie Comics (because ew, girls) and when you get older and realize he's a teenager that should be exploding with hormones that on its face doesn't make any sense at all. (yes there's asexuality, but that's hard to understand even as an adult, so one defaults to seemingly more likely reasons.)

I remember once reading a story where I think it was Dilton who ended up in an 'inverted' Archie world and in it instead of disliking girls, he hated food, to the point where he was psychotically obsessed with destroying food and 'curing the world of eating'. Which sort of begs the question why he hadn't long starved to death...though the story might have been presented as a nightmare and hence dream logic.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 21, 2015

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

This ironically belongs here, because it was this scene and what happened afterwards that basically changed Wolverine from 'violent rear end in a top hat who always charged in to get stomped to show teamwork was needed' to 'supercool ultrabadass choppy choppy sniktineverything.' Which is funny, but not ha ha funny.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Cheshire Puss posted:

More recently immersion was shattered when Tony beat the Hulk in a fistfight somehow.

To be fair, it was a glorified sucker punch. It's not the punches you see coming that knock you out, it's the ones that you don't, goes basic fistfighting rules.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Dexie posted:

Why DO they let him run around doing his thing? Like, is there an in-universe justification for allowing him to go on his killing sprees?

I'm pretty sure Punisher has said at least once if they put him in prison he'll just kill everyone there until he figures a way out. The heroes can't sit and watch the prisons 24/7, and if they put him in a supervillain prison there would probably be an argument that it would be akin to murdering him (placing him with supervillains with powers).

I suppose they could put him in some sort of one-man superprison and have him be watched around the clock, but unless that would be the final story of Frank Castle it would be pointless because he'd just get out some way or offscreen because someone wanted to use him in the future.

It reminds me of when Joker was decided to be so dangerous that he was moved to a DC Ultramax prison for supervillains, the Slab, and what followed was an event called Last Laugh where he figured out a way to engineer a mass breakout. At the end he was stuck in an even fancier cell in the ultramax prison where, IIRC, the cell had no doors and was being watched 24/7 by Oracle.

Then like...five months later, in a Harley Quinn comic, the writer wanted to use Joker in a story so Harley tossed off a line that Joker broke out of the Slab.

That pretty much says it all, really.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Rhyno posted:

They've been reprinting that trade for 15 years. Call me when they get something in the third year into a trade.

Okay, what Miracleman style pileup of rights is causing the issue here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

This is funny in a mildly edited "Come on DC, that's just loving MEAN." black comedy sense.