Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Diet Poison posted:

Amazing X-Men 15

All I want for Christmas is for Rockslide to be the Juggernaut.

Especially if they talk Cain Marko into teaching ultra-heavyweight fighting techniques at the Jean Grey School. I swear old Juggs' relationship with Squidboy was some of my favorite x-men ever, even though it was in the middle of an otherwise terrible Chuck Austin run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Deadpool posted:

After meeting the new Inhumans and finding out their names and powers Spider-Man has a bit of friendly new superhero advice for them before heading into battle.

The Amazing Spider-Man Special #1

Considering their history I'm surprised "Never team up with the Punisher,

or Deadpool" didn't make the list.

Then again, I don't think I've ever read anything with both Moon Knight and Spider Man

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Moon Knight is just non-murderous enough most of the time that you might need advice. Punisher's a wanted mass murderer and Deadpool is also a wanted mass murderer, as well as a known supervillain and mercenary.

You would think, but people keep teaming up with them anyway. I can't even remember the last time someone tried to arrest Deadpool for crimes he wasn't in the act of committing. He seems to run on the same Homebase/safe system as Wolverine and Dr. McNinja.

Bucnasti posted:

I'd like to think that secretly Spidey enjoys his time with Deadpool.

I dunno, when he's around the 'ol Parker luck seems to dial up to 11.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

zoux posted:

Who's like that besides Taskmaster?

Agent X, The Tinker(pre-heroics), Grizzly, Rhino, shocker, pretty much anyone that knocks over banks.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Majuju posted:

He can use them to see magic and things outside the visible spectrum and poo poo, which is kinda cool.

He's also really hard to sneak up on, and awesome with guns, but that last one might be an unrelated power or just natural talent.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

So, is he the only teacher there with an actual teaching certificate? or did that get retconned with brand new day?

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

meanwhile Hal Jordan is somewhere being completely useless

qntm posted:

I don't know, I think I could get behind a version of Hal Jordan who's a hilariously inept moron with a power ring. And if he overcomes his rampant stupidity and succeeds because his heart's in the right place, then that's heartwarming as well as being funny. It's a human quality! It's the infallible white bread Mary Sue Hal Jordan who sucks.

"You've been loafing around the watchtower long enough. Batman agrees you need to go get a job, and your own place"

This is exactly what we need, Ring of the Bastard Lantern.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Like this scientists builds this ultimate killing machine, but gives him the ED 209 level of intelligence.

I just reread it to make sure but Dean(the massive combat droid) is smarter than that, he just has so many restrictions on what he can do that he games his rules like that so he can do anything at all. Jeri points out that he's being intentionally obtuse to mess with him.

The Lone Badger posted:

What, you're going to build an ultimate killing machine and also make it smart?

Do you want Skynet? Because that's how you get Skynet.

To avoid that Dean can't do much of anything without human authorization. He can't even leave his maintenance stand unless he detects aliens where they shouldn't be or someone tells him to.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

SilverSupernova posted:

Things like this are why I'm sad they're trying to push the Deadpool/Cable bromance again.
Him and Tasky were so much more fun to watch.

Yeah, Deadpool doesn't seem to make friends as much as he decides who he's friends with and then lets them know, frequently by kidnapping. Taskmaster at least hasn't fully given in to the Stockholm syndrome yet.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Not even close to necessary, but, well, I want a new ruin the moment thread:

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

X-O posted:

Why do we need a new one when the other one is still being posted in?

Because I am a dumb with the bad habit of visiting my bookmarked threads from the UCP instead of actually browsing and didn't know it existed. I'll

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

I obviously have some vested interest in the character. Someone posted the comic my avatar is from last page. I'm just happy he's not as consistently showing up just to get jobbed and show that someone else is stronger.

I think it was a stupid mistake that he was damasked when Moon Knight defeated him a few years ago. Before that his face was never shown. He goes on a date in his Udon mini and you still never see his face. That was a very small mystery, but it was stolen from the character for stupid or no reason.

I've championed Taskmaster as a MCU character for years, not just because I like him, but I thought it was viable. Tony Masters is cheap from a TV or Movie budget sense. Since he wears a mask multiple stunt men/martial artist could play the part when he switches styles. He could be played by anyone outside of the mask. I was originally thinking of Ray Park or Donnie Yen, men that can legitimately change styles immediately, but you don't really need that when you have an editing room.

The line I take a portion from is, "All is, if I have grace to use it so, As ever in my great taskmaster's eye." it's from John Milton in a letter basically saying, "I haven't achieved much yet, but god willing, I will". It was also referenced in the Taskmaster mini. A target calls him arrogant for referencing it, that's because "the great taskmaster" in the letter is God.

I think it's called sonnet number seven.

Dr. MonkeyThunder fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 9, 2016

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Gavok posted:

I remember at least two comics pre-Moon Knight that showed us unmasked Taskmaster. Once in a Daredevil story and once in... I think one of those comics from back when Marvel and Malibu were constantly doing crossovers.

Was it at least done for a reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Obviously I like Taskmaster, but I'm mostly surprised Agents of Shield hasn't used him because he's cheap to do. No special effects are required. You don't even need a stuntman that can do a lot of different styles of martial arts or gymnastics, you can just put different guys or even girls in the suit.

I think he would fit best about now in AoS or IF in his capacity as the best trainer in comics. Someone could finally teach Rand how to fight. It doesn't hurt that he's copied some of the best smacktalking skills in the business and seen Full Metal Jacket. It would also be pretty funny to see him constantly visiting that kid with the camcorder from Luke Cage and cleaning him out of everything new. Then you've got the drama of when he's inevitably paid enough to go against someone he's trained.

I'm not a big fan of his memory loss retcon but the mini it's in is pretty good. The amnesia seems especially out of place because his power is called photographic reflexes and it used to include a photographic memory. The udon suit is more filmable than his standard but in between the image inducer and hard-light generator it made him too powerful. The 2xspeed movement from the Udon mini's gotta go for the same reason. The cape is to hide the small armory that he usually carries but the generator replaced most of it. He started out as an Avengers villain and he's supposed to be powerful(not breaking his own back copying Slapstick) but not truly superhuman. He's originally a human with a rare neurological talent, like Bullseye, and that's about the right speed for him.

Speaking of Bullseye, does anyone remember what book it was in that he trained to be the best pitcher on earth? He hired Taskmaster to impersonate all the major league batters so he could practice.