Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Random Stranger posted:

The Leader is such a nerd.

Meanwhile, in Latveria, Dr. Doom steeples his fingers and narrows his eyes.

"It's all about the cones..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

He's brought non-existent people into reality... twice.

Yeah, remember that time Matt Murdock pretended to be his made-up brother Mike Murdock to mess with his friends? Reader accidentally conjured Mike into being a real person.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Unlucky7 posted:

Wasn’t there a story where he got possessed by a ghost and it was trying to do the whole “You are a failure and you are better off dead; Let me feed off your misery” shtick to him, only to get psychoanalyzed into submission?

From the badass thread, many moons ago:

Gavok posted:

Ghostbusters #7. The team is facing this powerful entity that possesses people and devours their souls. They're fighting it at a carnival and it possesses Peter. Not only does that mean the team's down by one against a dangerous threat, but they're reluctant to harm Peter. As the battle rages on, this conversation takes place.

He makes a break for it and gets snagged immediately.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Taskmaster looking Street Fighter as hell there.

He's one of Dr. Cossack's greatest creations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

It's definitely gone back and forth but Bendis established them as being peaceful in his GOTG run and even though Cates has been doing some stuff establishing them as servants of a mad space god I think the idea is that symbiotes are basically good as long as they're not mind controlled.

Of course I'll cede to resident Venomologist Gavok on the matter...

The original reveal was, as Lurdiak stated, the whole race were a bunch of space locusts that would go from planet to planet and suck the hosts dry. The Venom symbiote wanted actual symbiosis with its host and the others deemed it insane for its views. In Secret Wars, Spider-Man was unknowingly freeing an inmate from its prison. So the race is inherently evil outside of Venom, with its kin being a mixed bag. Carnage is pure evil, Hybrid is a pacifist egged on by its host's bloodlust, Scream is violent but kind of chills out over time and Toxin is like a well-meaning child who needs to be taught why killing is bad.

Then again, "Venom is the good one" became kind of bullshit when Mac Gargan happened and he essentially became Corporate Carnage.

So when Flash Thompson Venom was in the Guardians, the symbiote was drawn back to its home planet. Turned out that they're called klyntars and they're really peaceful by default. Venom lost its way because of having a psychotic first host and being too far away from the home planet for so long. The symbiote is cleansed and Flash becomes Venom: Space Knight. He gets a new solo series where the symbiote treats excessive violence like an addiction it needs to work through.

The first host was later revealed by Mike Costa to be a Kree soldier who wanted to weaponize the ability to shapeshift against the Skrulls. Depending on how you read it, it's either an expanded explanation or a retcon of "Venom is volatile because its first host was a psychotic monster." Also worth noting that a major plot thread in Costa's run was that the Venom symbiote was pregnant again and was scared that it was going to be another monster like its other children. The symbiote at least wanted its kid to be good and non-violent.

Then we get to the Cates run. Cates' whole deal appears to be, "I've read every Venom story and I don't think we've scratched the surface on the symbiote concept. In order to tell this story, I'm going to have to stack retcon onto retcon onto retcon." He's handwaved away things like Eddie's cancer and the idea that Eddie had a sister. He also introduced Knull, God of the Symbiotes and makes it apparent that the symbiotes are absolutely bad news. All that poo poo from Guardians of the Galaxy was an illusion and the team was unknowingly inside a giant, nightmarish planet-sized symbiote ball. The only real hope for a symbiote to not be a vicious hellbeast is to be away from Knull's mental grasp for long enough.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

The original reveal was, as Lurdiak stated, the whole race were a bunch of space locusts that would go from planet to planet and suck the hosts dry. The Venom symbiote wanted actual symbiosis with its host and the others deemed it insane for its views. In Secret Wars, Spider-Man was unknowingly freeing an inmate from its prison. So the race is inherently evil outside of Venom, with its kin being a mixed bag. Carnage is pure evil, Hybrid is a pacifist egged on by its host's bloodlust, Scream is violent but kind of chills out over time and Toxin is like a well-meaning child who needs to be taught why killing is bad.

Then again, "Venom is the good one" became kind of bullshit when Mac Gargan happened and he essentially became Corporate Carnage.

So when Flash Thompson Venom was in the Guardians, the symbiote was drawn back to its home planet. Turned out that they're called klyntars and they're really peaceful by default. Venom lost its way because of having a psychotic first host and being too far away from the home planet for so long. The symbiote is cleansed and Flash becomes Venom: Space Knight. He gets a new solo series where the symbiote treats excessive violence like an addiction it needs to work through.

The first host was later revealed by Mike Costa to be a Kree soldier who wanted to weaponize the ability to shapeshift against the Skrulls. Depending on how you read it, it's either an expanded explanation or a retcon of "Venom is volatile because its first host was a psychotic monster." Also worth noting that a major plot thread in Costa's run was that the Venom symbiote was pregnant again and was scared that it was going to be another monster like its other children. The symbiote at least wanted its kid to be good and non-violent.

Then we get to the Cates run. Cates' whole deal appears to be, "I've read every Venom story and I don't think we've scratched the surface on the symbiote concept. In order to tell this story, I'm going to have to stack retcon onto retcon onto retcon." He's handwaved away things like Eddie's cancer and the idea that Eddie had a sister. He also introduced Knull, God of the Symbiotes and makes it apparent that the symbiotes are absolutely bad news. All that poo poo from Guardians of the Galaxy was an illusion and the team was unknowingly inside a giant, nightmarish planet-sized symbiote ball. The only real hope for a symbiote to not be a vicious hellbeast is to be away from Knull's mental grasp for long enough.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Just want to point out that I wrote this post on the same day that I finished booking my honeymoon, so if I can make it, so can you.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CzarChasm posted:

...Did you just invite all of us to your honeymoon?

You win this round.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I remain convinced Bendis simply did not have an editor for most of his Marvel tenure.

The Sentry is a thumb-sucking manchild and not a noble man wrestling with his demons, okay?!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Bruceski posted:

Drawing better at 12 than I do at 35. Couldn't find his Crystal Man.

Even still, the best artist involved in that game is whoever wrote Pharaoh Man's theme.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Cabbit posted:

Frank has a very strong Brock Samson vibe here, visually, and I dig it a lot.

I've always seen Archie Meets the Punisher as the prototype for Venture Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

As someone who fully supports manga being posted, the Sonic stuff bombarding the thread was really, really rough.