Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SilverSupernova posted:

Whelp. Spider-Verse continues to justify it's existence today.

Amazing Spider-Man #12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MxGtH-2duM

Look for Japanese Spider-Man's preferred weapon: webs a cheapo submachine gun

Marvel seems to have made YouTube take off almost all the Toei SpiderMan episodes that were online, so they've definitely got the rights now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oh, I just love Superior Hawkeye™. :allears:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

techknight posted:

Avengers #54 Radioactive Man tells the New Masters of Evil how he was last defeated by those accursed Avengers:

Iron Man looks like he's got the runs and has to stop this fight as quickly as he can so he can get to the can.

A lead-lined balloon might have a lot of problems just lifting itself let alone an angry Radioactive Man.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

prefect posted:

And a Vietnamese scientist! :science:

Chinese. He was in Vietnam along with Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man when they formed the Titanic Three.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Turns out Ryan was trapped in something like what shrinking guys have instead of the speed force. I think he called it the "mass dimension" (no idea if that was made up for this comic) and Ray's schizophrenia was Ryan's voice and his inflat-o hand was Ryan lending him his mass.

When Deathstroke killed him, he was somehow able to send his mind/spirit/sentience to the mass dimension, his only connection back to this dimension was Ray who is the only other human, it seems, who is accessing the mass dimension. It was briefly similar in some respects to the Rick Jones/Captain Marvel kind of deal. The mass dimension dates back to Power of the Atom in 1985, when they tried to update his character by making him face grimdark and conspiracy issues.

quote:

That page is how Ray let Ryan get out, and later Ryan grows Ray's hand back by stealing the mass from Deathstroke's, making them all tiny.

Yup.

It could have been a lot worse as Deathstroke was there to kill Ray, and I'm pretty sure Ryan was more than a little upset at having been run through with a sword.

In this continuity, Deathstroke wanted out of the assassin business and didn't want anyone to remember him, Ray spoiled that by bitching on live TV that he was dedicated to avenging Ryan's death and outed him as the murderer.

That poo poo-eating grin on Ryan's face says to me "I could've killed Deathstroke but this.. this is a much better fate" :v:

Also pretty sure Julius Schwartz would have approved of this!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 11, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I smell a newspaper Spider-Man / Green Lantern team-up!

"Spider-Man, you're no match for me! You only get hit in the head with bricks--! I can get a head injury from any object!"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Might as well post the best character introduction in comics.

Mister Miracle #6

Pretty sure there was a thought balloon above Kirby's head with Stan Lee's face leering at him when he wrote this.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

OK, I see Cap and Iron Man,

I think that's Cap and Rescue.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Groot #5

RIP Mantron, you were too beautiful for this comics continuity.

I keep getting the feeling Mantron was supposed to be a ROM shout out, they both tended to have long conversations with themselves and the head/eyes are almost identical. Also, Mantron is pretty much a one-word description of ROM's physical form.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You could really see Ditko was phoning it in by this time, he retired about six years later though.

Not a very bandied about fact: Steve Ditko worked with Will Murray to create Squirrel Girl. Murray was primarily a pulp fiction magazine enthusiast.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Deadbeat Spider-Man.

Is this ^^^ supposed to be a homage to this favorite forums chestnut?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Soonmot posted:

Did Bucky just fart into the phone at Hitler?

He saved up all day, with tacos for breakfast and chili for lunch.

Beware the Brown Wind of the Winter Soldier!

If I were a PhotoSlopping man, I'd edit some liquid drops coming out of the speaker too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What a meanie, Blockbuster picking on SemiDeformed Batman. Or was he really misproportioned for purposes of the story? Cause I'd believe it, anything goes in the Silver Age..

"Only the top half of my body was exposed to the growth ray, making me.. Lopsided Batman!"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Selachian posted:

Actually, it's kinda funny how they're shuttling the statue around Brooklyn. It's in Prospect Park now, they're moving it to Barclays Center later, and then it's gonna be at a Bed Bath and Beyond in Sunset Park. It's like when Philly moved the statue of Rocky from the top of the Art Museum steps to the sports arenas and then back outside the Art Museum.

Barclays Center is where the city used eminent domain to kick out the (mostly brown) people in that 'hood out of there to make room for a sporting arena, then promised to build affordable housing that hasn't even materialized after 10 years despite promises from the developer.

That Bed Bath and Beyond in Sunset Park isn't even open yet, and it's in another neighborhood that once was prosperous and semi-diverse but turned to poo poo when the BQE was built right on top of it. Kinda fitting they move it to an out-of-the-way industrial location with zero foot traffic for its last month in NYC.

So yeah, what I'm saying is I can definitely see Cap is was a Hydra agent.

LOL if someone spray paints 'Hydras Greatest Hero' onto the base.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 14, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

This is what happens when you spend too much time with the Joker.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oscar Goldman is a prized figure. Richard Anderson, the actor who played him in the TV series, is still alive to this day. So's Lee Majors. Just saw him in Ash Vs. Evil Dead Episode 3.. his character on the show, Ash's Dad, seems to have bought the farm unfortunately

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

"MJ.. ..you.. ..forgot to.. ..put.. ..a.. ..bra.. ..on.. ..this.. *uuunnngh* "

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Here's a rare golden oldie for most folks.. pretty sure they used these whenever they couldn't sell ad space in the books, which in the 70's-80s happened more often than not..

Obviously drawn/inked by marvelous Marie Severin, and probably was in more than a few scattered Marvel issues..

Love that Iron Man has Salicrup in a neck lock and is obviously telling him "you don't draw me with the nose- EVER"

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 13, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

Did somebody say science miracle?

[Ultimate Spider-man #98]

Knowing that this version of Reed eventually becomes the Maker, this makes the act of tricking Johnny into drinking his piss more believable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I dunno what Supes is up to here other than wanting Santa to arrive in this house as a red puddle.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

You'd think a guy with so many magic friends could just have one cook up an anti-magic spell for him.

Superman at one point was so bothered about this that he jumped dimensions to ask Doctor Fate after all his magic buddies
on THIS Earth basically said they couldn't help him.

Hey Supes get off the drat satellite my calls to Madagascar aren't going through! :v:

During a battle with aliens that used magic, Dr. Fate temporarily infuses him with all his power so that for a time,
he is effectively invulnerable to magic. He shrugs off magic attacks with ease.

Of course, here's what happens when he just asks him outright:

from World's Finest #208

Never mind that Fate is from Earth II and whatever whammy Fate gives him might only work in -his- universe..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 25, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's more like "If I hadn't been so worried about my weaknesses I never would have come to your Earth to prevent you from getting jobbed by those alien assholes" as the aliens had powers too tough for Fate to tackle by himself.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

This was one of the gems created by none other than Steve Gerber, who left this world too soon.

I'm trying to remember a certain comic that's a tribute to him, but he's actually written as a character hooked up to a tank who's trying to pass on his legacy somehow..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Pretty sure Keith Pollard drew all those Thor strips above, there's no mistaking that perspective/anatomy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

Azrael One Million is loving hilarious, post that if you're reading through DC 1000000!

I didn't realize Kang was so smooth in the bedroom:

I honestly didn't even realize he was a human guy and just wearing a helmet.

Check out Kang lackadaisically macking on women in his 30th century wifebeater.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If memory serves, a lot of the villains were recently (as of the issue of Deadpool) killed by Scourge during an anti-villain murder parade that Mark Gruenwald wrote in an arc of Captain America.

I wonder who gave permission to allow all those characters to be one-shotted, though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sheesh, last time I saw Kubik was an older Avengers issue with Buscema / Palmer art, he looked like a metal version of Marvin the Martian.

It was a pretty weird issue with Steve Rogers as The Captain (the black suit/motorcycle phase) being called to help Dr. Druid's Avengers who were all beaten by the Super Adaptoid, who lured Kubik to Earth so he could copy his reality-altering powers.

Steve literally beats the most powerful being on Earth (at that time) using nothing but logic and exploiting Super-Adaptoid's stupid artificial ego.

It's also revealed that the Super-Adaptoid's powers were literally drawn from a sliver of the original Cosmic Cube, which Kubik removes and replaces back within himself after the fighting's over.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 25, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Pretty sure they self-hypnotized themselves into forgetting they looked into the future until some crisis makes it necessary to.

Think that's how they resolved a lot of those 'I saw the future' stories.

But here's another Supes cover that's funny just in how hard it is to explain:

How is Clark Kent doing a live newscast while he's simultaneously kicking the poo poo out of his alter ego?

Also what a great superpower. "I have a rock"

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 11, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What gets me is TV Kent's almost bored looking face while he's rattling off that spiel.

"Yeah yeah my alter ego is no longer champion of Metropolis, Darkseid wins seat on Metropolis City Council, who gives a poo poo, etc. etc."

Also looks like Blackrock is giving Supes super diarrhea.

Still, Jack Abel (RIP) inks are always nice and crisp.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 11, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Infinitum posted:

There was a golden age superman comic I read years ago where Superman became giant, for whatever convoluted reason it was, and to prove he wasn't a giant hosted an interview with himself as Clark Kent where he just kept switching back and forth between each position at super speed.

Which also meant he had to change clothes constantly.

He also built a giant set so noone would know they were both gigantic

Ahhh golden age :allears:

So going by this he's switching back to Clark Kent, reading a thousandth of a syllable of his newscast, then zooming back to getting blasted by diarrhea rays by Blackrock, then zooming back to the TV studio to utter another thousandth of a syllable, making sure his facial expressions of boredom and pain keep matching up.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

delfin posted:

Okay, so

Best superhero origin yet.

(Flaming Carrot #13)

Ut.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

That lazy dog on his apron just sells it for me. :unsmith:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Superman doesn't actually have super strength or invulnerability but some form of telekinesis that only works in very close proximity to his body.
:goonsay:

I thought that was Miracleman, although it's a force field in that case.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Artsygrrl posted:

What ends up happening? Does the Joker connect but shatter his arms in the process?

I'm just imagining Joker vibrates like a bell while holding the hammer and he can't stop. Like any Warner Bros. cartoon.

Edit: Okay, found it..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 6, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

a contender! actually this particular Kirby looks very Kev O'Neill, who was probably influenced a lot by Kirbs as a young artist.

edit: also!

Superman Family #196 (1979)

:thunk:

I mean, isn't all his super powered thumping more likely to SET OFF the bombs?

It's like when Bugs Bunny tests artillery shells with a giant hammer. Didn't go off? Write 'DUD' in grease pencil, get ready to hit next shell..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I like to think two things about this panel:

1) The lawyer is actually Matt Murdock, Strange just cast some spell of intimidation over him as he politely and expertly explained all the defensive but exacting legal procedures he could undertake while chewing on random but recognizable human body parts. That he's entirely colored red is just coincidence.

2) Strange insisted on the use of -that- :smug: picture or it was no deal

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

But Jameson really does love his coffee now..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Lucy goes aggro, blames society

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 24, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

From Rueben Bolling

Is this a dig at Hawkeye, or what?

Adbot