Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, let's be fair. There aren't too many ways to say "my alibi was AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT CRIME".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smilefires
Dec 18, 2013
Variant_Eris just talked to the man who handed over the package, but you can try to investigate him too.

: "I will investigate this man."
: "...! Detectives! Oh crap!"
: "Hey, wait!"

(The man runs.)

: "He got away."

Apparently Yasu was perfect and this guy totally didn't think they were detectives. Trying to arrest the man produces about the same result, though, so maybe they're also just terrible at their real jobs.

Also, everyone *slam*s the phone when they hang up, or they've hung up already but the game doesn't tell you at all.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They're hard-boiled detectives. Of course they slam their phones.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
There will probably be an update either tomorrow or Tuesday. No promises.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Part 5: DEAD

Last time, we did absolutely nothing that affected the plot. So let’s get cracking, shall we?

Have we even advanced the plot? I thought we were just hitting people.

...No?

Even though he has been arrested, we can still haul in Toshi for interrogation. So our first order of business is to present him the ring we found on Kouzou’s front doorstep.

Toshi and Yasu, happily married some 2-3 months from now.

Eris no, I thought you weren’t like this.

You thought wrong.

: “You’ve taken my life and reputation. At least spare my dignity, dammit!”
: “...Shut… up....”
: “Take a look at this Ring, please.”
: “Oh, this is something I gave to Yukiko. How did you end up with it?”

And with that, Toshi’s role in the investigation is over.

Later, sucker!

Now that we’ve set up Toshi’s event flag, we should hear the rest of what Komiya has to say. Presenting any object will suffice for this occasion.

: “Blah blah blah, take a look, blah blah blah.”
: “Just tell us… what you know…”
: “I often heard shouting coming from under the mansion. I wonder what that was all about…?”

A goddamn hernia. That’s what it’s all about.

Ignore that. Also, if you ever happen to be in the mansion, please avoid the door labeled “German Sex Dungeon”. Thanks.

The hell…?

As you might surmise from Komiya’s throw-away comment, there is a hidden area/complex/hernia/sex dungeon under the mansion. In order to discover the secret passageway, we need to take away the painting first…

...punch the button on the wall…

...and enter the study. A trapdoor opens up, leading to the worst part of the game secret part of the mansion that Komiya hinted at. Fortunately, we won’t be heading down there for a couple of updates.

Unless we trip down there, of course. That is an awful location for a secret passageway.

Now that we’ve set enough event flags, Yukiko leaves a message for us at the police department.

: “”177-2493”. Looks like a phone number. Could you remember it for me, Boss?”
: “I’ll remember it...anyways…”

For some reason, dialing the number in the police department yields this result. We actually need to dial the number in the Kyoto area in order to elicit a response.

drat, we might get long-distance charges.

But before that, let’s see what Licca(R) has to say about the case now.

I highly doubt that.

Anyways, now that we’re in Kyoto, let’s redial the phone number.

Fun fact, “Kyoto” is an anagram for “Tokyo”.

It’s also a real place.

It goes to show that anything can happen.

MS Paint skills on point today.

: “He said he’s heading to [Amitabha Peak]. What? You say he hasn’t come back?”
: “He hasn’t… do you have any clue... as to his whereabouts...?”
: “No, I don’t know……”

Welp, there’s nothing left for it. Let’s strike out and aim for the peak like proper hardboiled detectives.

...Ah.

Rest in pepperoni

: “So Mr. Hirata was the culprit, after all. He killed Kouzou and then took his own life…...A sad ending, but the case has been solved. Please command me to close this case. Boss?”
: “Hold your horses… let’s investigate first…”

At this point, we’re given the option to close the case. However, doing so only re-opens it a few days later, so we’re better off directing our efforts towards investigation.

Let’s take a look at the dead body first.

Every child’s favorite piñata.

Not the first time a black figure was hung from a tree.

Unfortunately, Yasu offers nothing that we can’t see with our own eyes.

Instead, let’s examine the grass under Hirata’s body.

: “It looks like a suicide note. It says, “I can’t handle all this debt any longer…” ...but it says nothing about having murdered Kouzou.”

It’s a Friday.

Since we’re done here, let’s see what happens when we close the case.

: “Take care.”

Brring! Brring!

: <Takes phone> “Badd here…”
: “Um, hello, the chief here. What the heck do you mean, Mr. Hirata is the criminal? The autopsy report says Mr. Hirata died around 1 P.M. on the 17th. He was dead before Kouzou was killed. Reopen the investigation immediately! Understand? Such idiots!”

Answer is zombies.

Slam!

: “Man, that was harsh… Okay, then, I guess we should get back to Hanakuma.”
: “...You’re getting...your pay docked…”

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

A trapdoor? Really? That's...contrived.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

A trapdoor? Really? That's...contrived.

It's nowhere near as contrived and stupidly insane as what we'll see under the mansion. Fortunately, we won't get there until the end of the game.

To be fair though, Horii was influenced by certain (RPG) games during Portopia's production, so it's justified in the notion that it makes no sense whatsoever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think we'd get an autopsy or something on that body.

Smilefires
Dec 18, 2013

Glazius posted:

You'd think we'd get an autopsy or something on that body.

But clearly he hanged himself.

The stuff under the mansion makes sense, but not really in the context of the game's story. Horii makes his inspiration very obvious, and even drives it home further with an easter egg down there.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, I guess it the dude who hung himself.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Sorry for the delay. I've been taking a break from LP'ing, since I've been stressed out as of late.

Update should be up tomorrow.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Part 6: There’s a Reason Why the Game Has the Words ‘Serial Murder’ In Them.

Now that we’ve discovered Mr. Hirata’s body, let’s grill Yukiko for more information as to her whereabouts.

Last update, Toshi told us that he gave the ring to Yukiko last update. And if it was around the house during the time of the murder…

...It stands to prove that the culprit is… Captain Planet!

Starting off the next chapter with a 90s cartoon reference. Oh boy, this gonna be good.

...Yukiko must have been around the mansion that evening. Unfortunately, it looks like we’ll have to make her ‘fess up.

Hit her like your bitch wife.

: “But Toshi told us it was something he gave to you…”
: "No way! Why would I accept anything from that guy? And even if I did, I would throw it out right away! W-Who would like an idiot like him! Geez!”
: “...”

Now that we’ve gotten Mr. Hirata’s time of death, we can check Yukiko’s profile for new information on her alibi.

: “Boss! On the night of the murder, a neighbor saw Yukiko going out. Her story about being at home was a lie!”
: “Show’s over...kid. Cough up the goods...or we’ll make you.”
: “I...I...I was at home.”
: “But there was someone who saw you leave your house that night.”

We have you now.

Hit her anyways.

: “I wanted to ask Mr. Yamakawa if he’d be willing to lend my dad just a bit more cash. My dad had borrowed money from other places, too, and…They were even worse when it came to collection. When I talked to Mr. Yamakawa about this, he agreed to lend us some more.”
: “Wow, this means Kouzou wasn’t responsible for Mr. Hirata’s suicide. It’s becoming difficult for me to understand the character of this man Kouzou. Boss?”
: “I think the perp…”

Tyrell Badd(rear end): Ace Detective.

I thought that said Hanukkah and I was wondering if you lost your mind.

Yes, the culprit is in Hanukkah. Brilliant deduction, Sherlock.

Since she has confessed to her involvement in the case, her role in the game is officially over. She doesn’t offer any more information that could be of use to the player.

However, let’s ask about her thoughts on Mr. Hirata’s suicide.

: “My dad’s such an idiot! I mean, he didn’t have to go kill himself…..Ugh…..”
: “…………”

Well, that’s one way to end a relationship. I suppose we’ll strike out for Shinkaichi now-

If a joke’s worth making once, it’s worth making twice.

Anyhow, let’s go to Shinkaichi to gather more information. I have a hunch we’ll find something there…

First order of business is to hassle everyone.

And slap them silly.

: “Boss! The word on the street is that [Okoi], the Shingeki strip club dancer, was very close with a man named Mr. Kawamura. Could this be the same Kawamura we’re looking for?”

Well I mean this is Japan. There’s probably 7,000 people with the name Kawamura.

: “Maybe…”

Since Okoi is close to Kawamura, and the former had some kind of connection with Kouzou, it’s possible that we could meet up with Kawamura through Okoi.

That said, we can now haul Okoi in the interrogation room.

: “Name…?”
: “Yuuhi Okoi, hun. You wanna get...freaky sometime?”
: “Sure! I wou-”
: “Shut up, Yasu.”

Okoi is the least involved suspect in this case, but we may as well get her alibi anyways.

: “Where were you around 9 P.M. on the 17th?”
: “Hmm, let me think… you know what, I think I was up on stage.”

Alibi
A lot of customers were watching her live on stage at the time of the murder.

In other words, she can’t be the culprit either.

5/6 of the cast innocent, 1/6 of the cast possibly innocent.

Nice doctor-esque penmanship.

To recap, everyone except for Yukiko and Kawamura have an air-tight alibi of sorts. While we can take Yukiko’s words at face value, it’s also possible that she was lying in order to cover up the murder she committed. Kawamura, on the other hand, is a suspect solely on the fact that we don’t know his actions during the time of the murder.

Let’s see what she has to say about Kouzou next.

: “I’d like you to tell us what you know about Kouzou…”
: “I’m going to tell you something, detective, because I think you’re so handsome. That man, Kouzou, ...He and Mr. Kawamura worked together as a pair of con men, a long time ago. He was being blackmailed by Mr. Kawamura who threatened to reveal his past.”

...Why didn’t you go to the police if you had this information?

Because she’s a prostitute and that’s kind of illegal?

: “I’d like you to tell us what you know about Mr. Kawamura…”
: “Now that you mention him, I haven’t seen him lately. I wonder how he is doing…”

Yes, you’re very helpful. Thank you for telling us the location of Mr. Kawamura.

Mr. Kawamura is not available right now. Please leave a message right after the beep.

Now that we have a bit more information, Kawamura’s profile gets updated.

Job
Masaji Kawamura, a habitual con man.

Personal Life
This guy’s had six convictions. Apparently, quite a few companies have been driven to bankruptcy, thanks to his con games and the like.

Groovy. Welp, there’s nothing left for it, is there?

BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE

Oh dear.

How many people must die to solve a crime?

: “He gave up, realizing there was no more running, and chose suicide…A disappointing end, but the case has been solved. Please command me to close this case. Boss?”
: “Hold your horses...let’s take a look around, first.”

Let’s examine the corpse.

: “The body is still warm. I don’t think it’s been very long since death.”

: “One stab to the neck with a knife. It’s the same M. O. as Kouzou’s case.”
: “I guess...he couldn’t cut it…”
: “That...that was an awful joke, boss.”

Investigating the room rules out vandalism, since nothing has been stolen from it.

Also, is that hair or blood I’m seeing?

Unfortunately, the only way to progress from here is to close the case. From here on out, it’s the endgame.

Party in the U.S.A.

: “Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Let’s just hit the bar already!”

The Tokyo PD has not been the same ever since.

Brring! Brring!

: “Hunh…? Yesh... Shir…?”

: “The guy had 6 previous convictions. He’s the type that gets released and then commits another crime again. He’s not the type of guy who would commit suicide because he faces another arrest! Reopen this investigation immediately!”
: “Man, that was harsh… Okay, then, I guess we should get back to Hanakuma.”
: “...I hatesh you Yasu…”

Man, we suck at detectiving.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've been digging this style of LP, and also appreciate the history that this game has.

If I had to guess who's our murderer right now, I would guess FoomyFumie because everyone else is dead, or a drug dealer. Our list of viable suspects is pretty short right now...

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 24, 2015

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

EagerSleeper posted:

I've been digging this style of LP, and also appreciate the history that this game has.

If I had to guess who's our murderer right now, I would guess FoomyFumie because everyone else is dead, or a drug dealer. Our list of viable suspects is pretty short right now...

Thanks. It's nice to know that someone's enjoying this LP.

While our list of viable suspects are short, you have to remember that Fumie was stuck in English classes during the duration of the murder, so it can't be her.

Komiya was out getting drunk, Toshi was getting high in his backyard, Okie was on stage, and Yukiko claimed to have talked to Kouzou two hours before his murder. Hirata and Kawamura died at illogical times, so it can't be them either.

So the only viable suspect at this point would be Yukiko. Unless you think the bartender is the murderer...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I finally get what's throwing me about this game. It's the colours. They're too drat cheery for a murder mystery.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wait how does the chief always know that we don't have the right suspect.....

Beat him

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. What the hell. You have to close the case?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Glazius posted:

Wow. What the hell. You have to close the case?

Actually, come to think of it, you don't have to. It's one of those things I completely goofed up on.

Oh well, it was more amusing this way in any case.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Interlude - The Portopia Manual + Other Stuff

So apparently, DvD Translations (the guys who translated the game), also went through the pains of translating the map and manual of the game. It’s not necessary, but it definitely gives us a visual as to how everything is laid out.

I’m sure he has a girlfriend and goes outside.

Of course, you could probably do the same thing on Google Maps, but that’s not the point.

Ooo, oooo, try to find the dude disposing a body.

Most of this stuff has been reiterated in the LP already, but there are a few things to note…

For one, the manual starts off with the PC-6001 introduction. In the Famicom port, you’re thrust immediately into the case with no prior knowledge of any kind, so I guess the game assumes you’ve read the manual beforehand.

The manual also features pretty artwork to instill morals into the minds and souls of children.

I’d pay to see children knife fighting ala West Side Story.

I don’t think we’ve seen evidence that Yasu is a gentleman. If anything, we’ve seen the complete opposite.

Yasuhiko has a serious case of boy band hair.

A couple of updates ago posted:

Entering the uncouth institution results in Yasu being overwhelmed by his male hormones. I’m pretty sure this game didn’t get the Nintendo Seal of Approval back then.

: “Go wild, kid…”
: “You mean I can really go? Gladly!

Wow, this is amazing!

It’s out of this world!

Oh, my!

Oh man, that was good!”

: “...I...what did I watch…?”

Okay, this is territory even I wouldn’t go into.

Another thing to note is that Fumie and Komiya have their first/last names listed here, something that wasn’t mentioned in the game itself.

The manual also gives us a handy-dandy guide through the first section of the game, in case you were too lazy to figure it out for yourself.

Someone colorblind might have a tougher time, however.

Finally, the manual gives a Q&A session at the end, in case you get stuck somewhere.

Aside from the controls and the investigation notes, everything has been more or less covered in the LP itself. If you really want to, you can read it here, but it’s not necessary when we’re this far into the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Was a NES cartridge even smaller than the PC-6001 media?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

I'm pretty sure the PC-6001 media was smaller than the Famicom cartridge. Unfortunately, I don't have a PC-6001 to compare it to.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Part 7: Aneurysm Time

Hokkaido Serial Murders OST - Disappearances of Okhotsk ~ Pursuit

Now that we’ve discovered Kawamura’s body, we can talk to Okoi for some more information on the Kawamura-Kouzou relationship.

HI, YES, WE’RE BACK WITH MORE DANK HUMOR

Unfortunately, it wasn’t anything like this.

: “He was drunk off his rear end, mind you. So don’t take everything I say too seriously.”

: “The biggest swindle he worked up with Kouzou victimized a company over in Sumoto, called Sawaki Industries. Oh, speaking of which, did you say that the personal assistant’s name was Fumie Sawaki…?”

That statement is too Japanese for me.

: “Actually, we never told you her name, but that is correct.”
: “Oh, I, it’s nothing…”

And with that, Okoi utters her final line in the game.

: “Wait! What about that ‘special favor’ you were offering me!”
: “Boss?”

To be fair, Yasu still hasn’t gotten us the donuts from update 1.

Unfortunately for us, Fumie has taken the opportunity to make do like Looney Tunes, and scat. Since she has a pretty solid motive for murdering Kouzou, it isn’t too far of a stretch to assume that she might be the murderer, or at the very least, an accomplice.

Heheheh, “scat”...

Moving back to the Sumire Apartments, we can see that Kawamura’s body has been removed from the crime scene.

However, that’s Kawamura’s problem. Our problem is Kouzou’s murder.

For the purposes of the investigation, we’ll go onto the boat. There’s a bit of backstory we can snag for Fumie.

Welcome to Heaven, where God has to deal with the deceased, because there aren’t enough idiots on earth.
I’d rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

: “Thanks for coming aboard. This high-speed boat heads for the city of Sumoto on Awajishima Island.”

Now that we’re here, it’s time for Sumoto to serve its one and only use.

: “You do that….”

Five seconds later…

In-game, this statement comes out of nowhere, so it’s kind of jarring to see someone spontaneously spouting facts about Fumie’s family.

Lil bitch deserved it.

: “Both her parents committed suicide. After that, she was taken in by some relatives. And she was separated from her only sibling, her [older brother].”
: “Hold it...can you repeat that…?”
: “Hmmm? The older brother? Well, I don’t know where he ended up… If I recall correctly, the boy had a butterfly-shaped birthmark on his shoulder.”

GAY!

: “...How do you know this…?”
: “Well, I used to stalk him back in the good ol’ days, so…”

If we prod the bystander for more information, it’s revealed that Fumie’s older brother was taken in by another family.

Now that we’ve learned that Fumie has an older brother, we can search for him.

Welp, looks like we’re back to square one. I suppose it’s time we moseyed back to the police department.

That’s what everyone called him in high school.

Goddamnit?

: “This map… Isn’t this a map of the underground maze at Kouzou’s mansion?”

Yes, yes it is. And it’s horrifying.

: “According to this, it looks like there’s still some secret left in that maze!”

I combed it over for the easter eggs beforehand, which is probably why the dialogue is like this.

And with that, we’ve gotten directions to the final piece of evidence in the game.

MAYBE THIS WOULD BE GOOD TO KNOW WHEN WE WERE ACTUALLY IN THE MAZE

No, because the map doesn’t give directions for the Easter Eggs?

Tom Sawyering the LP.

: “Brains: 0…...Maze: 1.”

While we have directions for the mandatory sections of the maze, the problem is that we only have half of the map to peruse through.

Left 2
Right 2
Forward 3...

....Is how the rest of the map is supposed to go, but I’ve never actually managed to find it.

So now that we have the map, it’s time to enter Revenge of the Maze II: Darkness Descending.

Which probably imploded everyone’s minds back then.

First thing we’ll notice is that the entire maze is from a first-person perspective. This is good and bad.

The good is that we have the directions for the maze.

The bad is that I have no idea where I am half of the time.

You’re in a maze, silly.

The only reason why Yuuji Horii had an entire goddamn labyrinth in Kouzou’s basement was because he was impressed by Wizardry’s gameplay -more specifically, its dungeons.

Sex Dungeon?

No.

Aw.

There are also two easter eggs that can be found here. While one of them pertains to the game itself, the other one only accentuates the ridiculousness of The Maze. You can find them both here, but don’t expect much from our commentary.

Shin Megami Tensei: The Portopia Serial Survivors, starring Yasu as the heroine.

In particular, a message pops up with a fake ‘random battle’ message, and promptly goes away, allowing us to progress once more… which only highlights how much Yuuji Horii liked Wizardry back in the good ol’ days.

The paths also close behind us from time to time, which would be more annoying if I was wandering aimlessly for those god-forsaken easter eggs.

If we follow the directions to the letter, we should bump into a wall. Cue secret room.

The obvious solution is to crash in, head first.

Literally.

: “What… did you think… the map was for…?”

Walking into the wall three more times happens to pop open the secret passage.

Obviously the right way to open a secret room.

I mean, for the love of Chzo, imagine how much this would cost in real-life. Hell, imagine how Kouzou would get someone to install the labyrinth in the first place.

: “Hello, this is Ikea, how may we help you to-”
: “MAZE! MAZE! MAZE! MAZE!”
: “I-”
: “MAZE! MAZE! MAZE! MAZE!”

A couple updates ago posted:

: “I often heard shouting coming from under the mansion. I wonder what that was all about…?”
Sex Dungeon.

Unfortunately, the room is completely void of objects we can investigate. However, if we do as Komiya said, and ‘Call Out’...

: “Heeeeey!”

This is it… this has to be the most contrived and shoehorned thing in the game.

More effective voice technology than Hey You, Pikachu!

Welp, there’s nothing left for it. Let’s take the diary and scat.

But first, let’s violate a dead man’s privacy, shall we?

Proof that Kouzou is a superhero. May or may not include Komiya as Robin.

: “It says he hired her as his personal assistant knowing this. It says he did it wanting to make it up to the Sawakis’ children……”

Give her some cash and call it a day. The end.

: “He… he’s also written that he’s going to take responsibility for Fumie like she was his own daughter, including leaving some of his money to her.”

: “...Surely…, he would feel a little regret. Boss……………”

: “Alright…”
: “...?”

: “All the mysteries... have been solved.”

While we can arrest the culprit right now, it’s rather abrupt and anti-climatic. So instead of ending it right here and now, we’ll do this, Agatha Christie style.

Theorize

Kouzou
Was Kouzou under enough distress as for him to take his own life…? Perhaps this case is a homicide, after all.

Rokurou Komiya
If Kouzou were to die, Mr. Komiya would be left without a job. There doesn’t seem to be a motive for him to kill Kouzou.

Fumie Sawaki
Certainly, she may have a motive, having had both her parents driven to suicide. But Fumie does have an alibi.

Toshi
He has already been eliminated as suspect in our investigation of Kouzou’s murder.

Hirata
Mr. Hirata’s time of death was prior to Kouzou’s time of death.

Yukiko
Her father killed himself because of debts. There’s no doubt she resented that. I think I know how she feels.

Kawamura
Now even Mr. Kawamura was found dead. So, who on Earth is the criminal?”

Okoi
If Okoi was the one who killed Kawamura, she probably wouldn’t have gone out of her way to call in with a tip.

Fumie’s Brother
Now that we can’t even find Fumie, I don’t know where to begin looking for her brother.

Alibi

Kouzou
Dead.

Rokurou Komiya
Out drinking during the time of the murder.

Fumie Sawaki
Stuck in English Class during the murder.

Toshi
Was dealing drugs.

Hirata
Hung himself prior to Kouzou’s death.

Yukiko
Claims to have visited Kouzou to help resolve father’s debt (Hirata).

Kawamura
Police Chief says he’s not the type to commit suicide, but it’s still possible he could’ve committed the crime.

Okoi
On stage at the time of the murder.

Fumie’s Brother
Given that he’s none of the other suspects, it’s entirely possible for him to kill Kouzou. However, at this point, we don’t know where or who he is.

Evidence
Lighter
Ring
Matchbox
Knife
Memo
Package/Narcotics
Map
IOUs
Diary
Key
Photo (Kouzou)

Who killed Mr. Kouzou?

It’s time to end this.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
What do you have against Sailor Moon? >:(

Good god that maze was terrible, but this was a really good update. Everybody who hasn't seen the video yet posted in the update, go do so. That feeling of despair, and your eyeballs about to burst? That's just Yuuji Horii channelling all of his love into you.

Maze maze.

Smilefires
Dec 18, 2013
Ignore this, I'm stupid.

Actually, though, it's too bad the IOUs aren't considered a real "clue" item by the game. Getting them is rather obscure and you have to go through the tacked-on maze to do it, but they could at least have been another way of sewing together the connections between the characters.

The game is just so crammed onto its cartridge that I almost wonder whether that kind of flag had to get cut for space.

Smilefires fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 6, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's really weird that we'd get an entirely new suspect this late in the mystery.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Smilefires posted:

Ignore this, I'm stupid.

Actually, though, it's too bad the IOUs aren't considered a real "clue" item by the game. Getting them is rather obscure and you have to go through the tacked-on maze to do it, but they could at least have been another way of sewing together the connections between the characters.

The game is just so crammed onto its cartridge that I almost wonder whether that kind of flag had to get cut for space.

To be fair, it's hard to make sense of anything in this game until the culprit is revealed.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Part 8: Case Closed, Bitch

: “Tell everyone.... to meet me at the precinct.”
: “But-”
: “I have some things… to look into…”

Like that crime scene-flavored candy they were selling the other day.

: “Let’s work up some… magic here…”

30 minutes later…

: “Alright, that’s everyone, boss…”
: “...Why is the bartender here…?”

: “Well, you did say “everyone”…”
: “...At least… you didn’t bring out… the corpses…”

He should’ve. The corpses could have killed themselves. I’m a doctor I swear.

If you’re a doctor, then I’m Astaroth.

Neat.

: “Fine…”

Hey, bitchgirl is gone.

: “His cause of death... was a stab to the throat. While it may have seemed like a suicide at first… it stands to reason that it wasn’t…”

Or was it?

: “And the culprit… is one of us…”

Why are people disappearing and appearing randomly? Did you get lazy on Photoshop?

...No?

Yes.

: “...What? It’s what they do on detective-story dramas!”
: ”...”
: *cough*
: “Anyways… you were saying, boss…?”

: “It suffices to say... that these two incidents… are closely related to each other…”

: “...You still owe me that favor, you know.”
: “...Fine.

...As you know, Kouzou and Kawamura were once con-artists in league with each other. The biggest swindle they ever worked up was in Sumoto, a company called Sawaki Industries.”

And they touched wieners.

: “We’ll take it from here.

As most of you know, Fumie Sawaki began working as Kouzou’s secretary soon after her college education. While this seemingly lackluster action may seem innocent, it placed Kouzou’s life in a dangerous position.

: “She isn’t… Sawaki had an alibi…”
: “So...it’s Fumie’s Older Brother, then…?”
: "..."
: “...We’ll… get to that…”
: “Anyways…”

: “The culprit... arrived at the mansion sometime before 9 ‘o clock...”

Of course he has to be black, you racist.

: “They probably… talked a bit… traded sob stories… the usual.”

: “And then Kouzou was straight shanked up…. when his back was turned…”
: “Presumably, the same thing happened to Kawamura -albeit in a less civilized fashion, of course.”
: “We...didn’t need to know this? Just tell us who the culprit is, so we can move on with our lives.”
: “And get drunk.”
: “That too.”

Keep in mind that if we were doing this update normally, we would’ve started here.

: “Strip… princess…”

Yasu is our culprit.

: “Have you been hitting the candy a bit too hard lately…?”
: “Strip.”

TOUCH WEINERS.

To be precise, we need to ask him to strip three times before he complies.

And that’s a wrap. If you go back to the previous update, it's mentioned that Fumie's Older Brother has a "butterfly-shaped birthmark" on his shoulder.

Where are his nipples?

Case closed, bitch.

Wishful thinking was always 20/20.

“Yasu is the culprit” is an ascended meme that sort of originated from this game. It’s also kind of a given that he murdered both Kouzou and Kawamura.

He is le trole.

LE BRAINS!

What no.

I mean, that’s what murderers are for.

Hah hah, point and laugh at the orphan.

I remember when I used to use an orphan as a football. Good times… good times…

Eris no, that’s illegal.

: “Hmm? But the key was found inserted in the keyhole from the inside of the door, you say? Boss, do you still not understand?”

Fumie appears, because we need to wrap this up sooner or later.

: “Fumie! I told you to run away!”
: “Yasu! Please let me talk for a minute!”

Remember kids: Crack is whack.

If you remember, the study door was locked from the inside, which is why it was considered to be a suicide in the first place.

: “And then Mr. Komiya saw the body. Before he recovered from the shock, I slipped the key into the door lock, but from the study side of the door.”

Which implicits her as an accomplice. Welp, looks like the gang’s all here.

Komiya-dooby-doooooo!

Which is the main indicator that Yasu is the culprit, funnily enough.

At the end of this little reunion, DvD Translations opts to hack in a secret code (MrSakurai) that can be inputted on their website here. It mainly consists of a couple debug room/extra dialogue stuff that isn’t seen in-game.

And with a bunch of fading police sirens, The Portopia Serial Murder Case comes to a close.

Stand By Me (Where Are They Now?)

Tyrell Badd
Tyrell retired from detective work soon after the case and now teaches Law at Tamagochi University. He currently is trying to beat Angelina Jolie’s record of “Most Ethically-Different Adopted Children”.

Yasuhiko Mano
Yasu was sentenced to life without parole for the murders. Three years into his sentence, he was beaten to death with a bar of soap in a sock when he refused to be the “cell block bitch”.

Kouzou
He’s dead.

Rokurou Komiya
Komiya was fired from his post due to his alcoholism. He sobered up and got a job as police chief in a small town somewhere in California. He was hand-picked by Arnold Schwarzenegger as his vice presidential running mate in the upcoming presidential election.

Fumie Sawaki
Fumie was indicted as an accomplice in Yasu’s murders, but received a reduced sentence when she testified against Yasu. She’s currently serving 5 years behind bars in Campbell's Chunky Soup Maximum Security Prison.

Toshi
Toshi learned to play guitar while in rehab and is currently touring as the lead guitarist in the Japanese heavy metal band Loudness. He plans to release a solo album of post-hardcore folk doom metal within the next year.

Hirata
He’s also dead.

Yukiko
Apparently she was on the latest season of 16 and Pregnant. So, uh, there’s that.

Kawamura
Yep, dead.

Okoi
Okoi is still stripping her way through medical school. She plans to become a neurosurgeon after her master thesis (“The Effect of Pleasure/Pain Stimuli on the Brain”) is finished.

Pal Bar’s Bartender
The bartender had a cameo role as the bartender in The Space Adventure - Cobra: The Legendary Bandit and is considering a role in the next James Bond movie, where he betrays Bond by giving him a stirred martini.

Random Bystander
Hard to pinpoint his exact location. Some say he’s still bystanding to this very day, witnessing incidents across the globe.

: “This lollipop...is really good…”

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This was an interesting look at the beginnings of murder mystery games. Thanks for the LP.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I think I need to re-read the whole thread because I don't get how we're supposed to guess that Yasu might be Fumie's older brother.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

ArchWizard posted:

I think I need to re-read the whole thread because I don't get how we're supposed to guess that Yasu might be Fumie's older brother.

It's more a matter of fact that you don't. His whole reaction to the diary was supposed to indicate that he was the murderer, or at least an accomplice.

It's a vague and shoehorned concept that relies on your own deductive abilities. Which isn't saying much in this game.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I think it's largely remembered for how little the culprit was telegraphed.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Of course, he was always the one pushing for the case to be closed and declared a suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

idonotlikepeas posted:

Of course, he was always the one pushing for the case to be closed and declared a suicide.

Well, you know. Never explain with malice what can be attributed to stupidity.

• Locked thread