Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

West coast ports are on the verge of a lockout. Shits about to get real(expensive and delayed in the midst of post holiday restocking)

http://www.pmanet.org/wp-content/themes/pacificmaritimeassociation/pdf/newsinfo_AverageAnnualEarnings.pdf

holy poo poo

haha this is like the perfect d&d bait

on the one hand unions are good
on the other they make six figures

i really dunno what way they'd jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Two Finger posted:

Are you kidding? Of course they'd jump with the unions. Don't you realize that a six figure salary is considered a livable wage, especially on the West Coast?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i love california but yeah the living expenses are nuts. 142k a year is not really all that insane for living on the coast

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

I wish I rook a picture of the bay area a couple of weeks ago, so many cargo ships at anchorage.

Yeah, it's been pretty surreal going across the Bay Bridge and seeing a dozen container ships anchored out there.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Larry Parrish posted:

i love california but yeah the living expenses are nuts. 142k a year is not really all that insane for living on the coast

Long Beach is not Laguna Beach.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wire chat- I pretend all the actors from the Wire wjo show up on the office are the same people under new Identities.

vains
May 26, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Well, they're causing massive losses for companies across the country, which is good because gently caress capitalism. But, those companies are laying people off on account of the ILWU's unwillingness to compromise on health care and jurisdiction over waterfront jobs so that's bad.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Panzeh posted:

I ain't gonna bedgrudge somebody the ability to get fat checks for not doing a whole lot. A lot of guys in suits manage that. Also IT.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Stuart Scott really took his eye off the ball on the old prostate and testicular cancer checks, eh?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

justice4trayvawn posted:

Hint: They're educated, in demand and probably don't smoke a ton of meth

what color is the sky in your world?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Larry Parrish posted:

Yup. LB might be cheaper than the surrounding area but rent is still pretty high. Food prices are pretty high, gas is more out here. Raising a family here on a poo poo salary has to stressful as gently caress.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Obama Africanus posted:

Stuart Scott really took his eye off the ball on the old prostate and testicular cancer checks, eh?

Jesus...

I'm going to hell.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I ain't gonna bedgrudge somebody the ability to get fat checks for not doing a whole lot. A lot of guys in suits manage that. Also IT.

Their profession is probably doomed anyway (at least the nonskilled laborers). Most dockwork will probably be handled by computers and robots in another 20 years. Amazon's already working on a similar system for their warehouses (and has already implemented an early version of it in some locations), and it wouldn't be too much to expand it to logistics hubs.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 4, 2015

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

psydude posted:

in another 20 years

I wouldn't expect it to take that long. Your major hurdles there are going to be labor unions and whatever political backing they may still have. The technology is already there and I seriously doubt someone like Hanjin or Maersk is sitting on their hands in terms of finding ways to implement.

Some company was talking about a fully autonomous cargo ship that they want operating within 10 years like a year or two ago, that's a far more complicated setup than offloading conex boxes.

vains
May 26, 2004

http://www.joc.com/port-news/port-productivity/us-ports-weigh-value-terminal-automation-investment_20141002.html

I don't know if you'll be able to see this or not without a subscription. But, yes, the longshoreman have started pricing themselves out of jobs.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

http://www.joc.com/port-news/port-productivity/us-ports-weigh-value-terminal-automation-investment_20141002.html

I don't know if you'll be able to see this or not without a subscription. But, yes, the longshoreman have started pricing themselves out of jobs.

Unfortunately I can't, but I'm certainly interested in what the article has to say. Any other reporting sources?

vains
May 26, 2004

http://pastebin.com/PGKCCSLX

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Thanks. Good article. I'm sure ILWU is watching like a hawk, but when Middle Harbor and TraPac complete their automation efforts, and I think it mentioned a third one that was doing a study, I'd expect to start seeing other large terminals pushing that way. The hold-outs will likely be the Great Lakes terminals and river terminals. Smaller volumes so much less of a push / economic requirement.

The surprise in that article is that ILWU doesn't seem massively opposed to it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

krispykremessuck posted:

I wouldn't expect it to take that long. Your major hurdles there are going to be labor unions and whatever political backing they may still have. The technology is already there and I seriously doubt someone like Hanjin or Maersk is sitting on their hands in terms of finding ways to implement.

Some company was talking about a fully autonomous cargo ship that they want operating within 10 years like a year or two ago, that's a far more complicated setup than offloading conex boxes.

i doubt we'll ever see fully autonomous ships, such a bad idea in just about every imaginable way

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Two Finger posted:

i doubt we'll ever see fully autonomous ships, such a bad idea in just about every imaginable way

people in the tech thread in gbs jerk each other off about automated driving/cars

I dont see it happening

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

iyaayas01 posted:

e: If nothing else the series finale is well worth watching, and the exploration of the newsroom is very interesting if a little flawed. Remember that David Simon made his living in part as a reporter, so if there's one thing that he knows it's a newsroom. Season 5 is still the best exploration of the newspaper business depicted on TV.
It really captures the day-to-day grind of it. That was definitely the most accurate depiction of a newsroom I've ever seen. And sort of just the way they talk to each other. The way they edit, etc.

But I didn't like the characters. That one reporter/editor was an unbelievable Mary Sue, and the senior editors were pretty obviously based on editors he worked with and didn't like. Doesn't have nuance. And I didn't believe in the reporter's motivations for making up poo poo.

Fabulists are inherently dishonest and manipulative people, but Simon seemed to make it about the changing nature of the news biz. Wasn't buying it. The shift to lean, digital media makes it more likely to publish unverified bullshit. (See: Gawker) But outright making up quotes requires a certain sociopathic personality. Narcissistic, persistent liars. Like Stephen Glass. Not honest people corrupted by the system.

The running theme that institutions compromises/corrupts individuals doesn't translate in this instance. Journalistic institutions compromise people in other ways, especially with biases toward particular stories that make sure they get told (and told in a particular) way and not other stories.

I'm nit picking here but yeah.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 5, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What The Wire does so well is handling a character when their story is done. These people never go away. They continue popping up in the show as they go on with their lives. No forced manner of keeping somebody around after they've logically fulfilled their purpose.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Two Finger posted:

That was kind of my point. It's a far-fetched idea for a variety of reasons, but not because it's technologically insurmountable. Automated driving of cars/trucks is something vastly different and complex-for-different-reasons than ship driving. The questions about shipping are more political in nature, e.g., if it's completely automated how is sovereignty affected during ports-of-call operations, who is ultimately responsible in the case of an onboard accident, piracy prevention measures, certifications of masters, etc. Harbors, seas, and oceans aren't changing at an appreciably fast enough rate where it's truly a technological problem. And as far as ship-ship interactions, a long haul freighter probably sees less crossing-situations overall on a 8000 mile voyage than you do on a 10 mile drive.

That says nothing about hybrid solutions like remote operations where it picks up pilots and/or tugs at an anchorage which make the rest of the voyage in. Your only question at that point becomes a logistics question re: underway repairs. Do you keep a mate/chief engineer on board to oversee that? That's still cheaper than paying a master to be drunk in his cabin with three helmsman to actually drive the ship for the whole voyage.

Ship handling isn't simple, but it's a simpler on a macro level than driving a car. This says nothing about general port operations. There is no reason it can't be automated, and indeed it is being automated in places. I'm not jerking off about automation, it's just an inevitability.

All this said, we're just some dudes on the internet. Real people at real companies get paid a lot to think about this, and they wouldn't be floating the idea of autonomous ships / hybrid solutions if they weren't serious possibilities.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 5, 2015

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Two Finger posted:

There's a pretty cool Economist article (still behind the paywall) in the end-of-year edition about modern shipping and it also agrees with this, but the ships and unloading process are already quite automated. Big ships are neat.

Edit: VVV I read it in the magazine and have been having a hard time finding it, but it was in the last one of the year. It's more broad than the conversation here but it's a cool read and I'll see if I can find it online.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 5, 2015

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

AgentSythe posted:

There's a pretty cool Economist article (still behind the paywall) in the end-of-year edition about modern shipping and it also agrees with this, but the ships and unloading process are already quite automated. Big ships are neat.

Can you link this article?

vains
May 26, 2004

krispykremessuck posted:

Can you link this article?

http://www.economist.com/news/technology-quarterly/21598318-autonomous-cargo-vessels-could-set-sail-without-crew-under-watchful-eye

http://www.economist.com/news/christmas-specials/21636687-romance-high-seas-age-quantification-ancient-and-modern-mariners

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

I wouldn't expect it to take that long. Your major hurdles there are going to be labor unions and whatever political backing they may still have.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Thanks, bud. Good reads. I don't really take away from these what AgentSythe did, but maybe I missed something.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

just from my personal experience there is absolutely no substitute for having a person there. a machine might pick up a pressure drop but it might miss that the pressure drop is from a fountain of oil. There are just so many situations where having a person there is irreplaceable. Firefighting, for example. Day to day operations absolutely can and should be automated, but the whole reason a crew needs to be there is for the out of the ordinary situations

vains
May 26, 2004

Two Finger posted:

just from my personal experience there is absolutely no substitute for having a person there. a machine might pick up a pressure drop but it might miss that the pressure drop is from a fountain of oil. There are just so many situations where having a person there is irreplaceable. Firefighting, for example. Day to day operations absolutely can and should be automated, but the whole reason a crew needs to be there is for the out of the ordinary situations

I agree. The human element can be minimized but it wont likely be eliminated in the near future.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

I agree. The human element can be minimized but it wont likely be eliminated in the near future.

theres always gonna be a need for human operators and watchers but the days of unskilled manual labor getting 200+k wage/bennies because they can hold poo poo hostage is going to be over.

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 5, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

And also 50 longshoremen will be replaced by a few technicians and a couple of operators who oversee everything.

I guess the moral of the story here is use your GI bill.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

psydude posted:

I guess the moral of the story here is use your GI bill.

Yep, because the world needs more rhetoric or film majors.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Yep, because the world needs more rhetoric or film majors.

Yeah because clearly that's what I was advocating instead of getting the training and education required to become an equipment technician, machinist, mechanical engineer, systems engineer, or any of the other trained and educated professions that are involved in what I was just talking about.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

psydude posted:

Yeah because clearly that's what I was advocating instead of getting the training and education required to become an equipment technician, machinist, mechanical engineer, systems engineer, or any of the other trained and educated professions that are involved in what I was just talking about.

Underwater basket weaving welding.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
When I graduate, I'm going to follow my dreams and open a yarn shop!

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

WarpedNaba posted:

I guess grannies need lovin too.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

WarpedNaba posted:

Build 5" wide looms for under $20 in parts and sell them for $145.

http://www.mirrixlooms.com/store/5-mini-mirrix-loreli-loom/

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Probably good money in owning a Jo-Ann Fabrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

WarpedNaba posted:

Lots of yarn shops up in Washington. Get good w/ some alpaca farmers, live out your days in some quiet Puget Sound town, drink beers, smoke weeds.

• Locked thread