Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I do read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, so let's say... 20 non-SF books? As a sub-challenge, I'm going to start with what's been sitting on my shelf for about a year, House of Leaves. It gets a lot of flak around here so I'm genuinely curious; wanted to start it up about a million times but never really got to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
About halfway through my first challenge book House of Leaves, as far as I'm concerned, Johnny Truant can go eat a dick. Hoonestly, I think that book could've done with an editor doing some clipping, except they probably didn't want to disrupt the whole THIS IS ART thingy. Sure, it's playing with layout and sturcture, I get it, now let me get back to the house.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Damo posted:

It's certainly not anywhere near the worst.
Nope, that's Wizard and Glass. Thing stopped three of my attempts to reread it; I don't care what the final payoff is, it's not worth wading through this amount of horrible teenage romance.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Strong Mouse posted:

10. The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials #1) by Philip Pullman - This was a very good book. I felt that there was a good plot, the characters were developed well, and that things were well paced. I definitely plan on reading the rest of this series.
I really liked that as far as YA goes so here's a bit of a warning: the other two books have a steady decrease in quality. Third one in particular more or less abandonds storytelling in order to beat you over the head with really blunt themes.
Also seconding the flop of Dark Tower. The second and third book expand on the themes of the first one, the fourth one is pure poo poo and then it kind of oscillates but never gets exactly amazing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I finished House of Leaves and gotta say I enjoyed it... Mostly. It's got a lot of parts I'm going to be skipping on reread but I liked the book overall. Well, now I'm off to unwind with some genre fiction before I get on with the rest of my challenge - anyone willing to recommend some easier yet good novels? I'm at least familiar with most of the classic stuff, so second half of 20th century and on would probably be better - I mean, sure, I can reread the famous stuff, but I'm more interested in finding out what I missed.
Only requirement for my challenge is no speculative fiction, although I guess I broke that bit when I read Yiddish Policemen's Union. Great book, need to look for more of Chabon's stuff.

Anyway, challenge status 2/20

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 1, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

What I've been hankering for is a detective story set in a world where magic is commonplace, everyone knows about it, everyone uses it to a greater or lesser extent... and within that, there's a police procedural or noir detective novel going on. I almost got it with Alloy of Law, and I'm really looking forward to the next in that series.
Not exactly police or noir but you might want to take a look at the Garrett PI series by Glen Cook. It's pretty good light reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
My quest to squeeze non-SF into my genre trash reading list slowly continues.

3.The Napoleon of Notting Hill by G.K. Chesterton I liked a lot. Unlike a lot of Chesterton it doesn't beat you over the head with Christian propaganda and does a pretty good job with the absurd while remaining entertainingly written. I imagine it had more impact when he wrote it but the central story is solid.

4.A Thousand and Half Adventures which is a more or less complete set of articles of Richard Halliburton. I loved what I read from him before, this pretty much assured his position as the only travel writer I can read more than five pages from without being bored. Probably something to do with him having been a batshit insane adventurer fellow.

Progress: 4/20

edit:
That took me a while to get. :420:

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 28, 2015

• Locked thread