Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think I'll try for 18 books. I'll probably have a lot of stuff going on this year, so 18 seems like an alright number to try for. Nothing impressive, but a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

First update of the year for me, let's do this.

1) Discworld: Men At Arms - Terry Prachett. I liked the first Watch book more, but it still had the same charm and intrigue of the first. Progressing through Discworld is sort of an on-again off-again journey, but its always a very rewarding experience.

2) Gandhi: His Life and Message for the World - Louis Fischer. That meets my Biography challenge! Ghandi certainly was a fascinating guy. The author spends a chapter talking about the few lucky chances he got to meet with and talk with the man himself. It was an incredibly interesting viewpoint all in all.

3) The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett. Mystery challenge met. I ended up comparing it to that podcast Serial in my mind for who knows whatever reason. In Serial, you get the sense everyone is telling the truth but are operating on misinformation. In Maltese Falcon, like all film noirs, I feel like everyone to lying. It was a pretty engaging story, but I'm not sure I'd want to reread it anytime soon.

4) Being There - Jerzy Kosinski. I think I liked the idea of the story. Its hard for me to decide what the meaning was in the end. It ends pretty abruptly and I think it needed to work a little harder toward its (what I assume is) intended message. The characters are interesting enough though and the dialogue is pretty darn funny, so I guess I give it a pass.

5) Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Phillip K. Dick. WOW. Uh. Again, I liked the ideas of the story. But there's so many ideas that they all get scrambled together into a baffling mess. So in the end I'm not really sure how I felt about this one too. It was just kinda... odd.

Well, that covers the first three months of the year. Unless I end up reading a whole bunch in April or May, I'll probably check in again when June ends.

• Locked thread