Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwimGood
Jan 2, 2015
Count me in. I think a reasonable goal for me is about 25, considering I'm going to try and a re-read of 2666, Infinite Jest, and Vollmann's Seven Dreams series (Dying Grass is due out this year sometime). Females include: Jane Smiley's Greenlanders, Jydia Davis's Can't and Won't, and a Simone Weil reader I got for Christmas.

How interpretative is the OP list? Like, can I read Stoner and tick off Something dealing with space? Considering the book, to me, is all about social and inter-personal barriers we all force others into/try to break out of in order to connect with our fellow people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimGood
Jan 2, 2015
Thanks guys, posts makes it all clearer.

CestMoi posted:

A lot of people seem to treat this as a rigidly adhered to competition against yourself and that's a weird approach imo. Please just use the reading challenge to expand the scope of your reading, no one cares if you didn't make 50 books because you got stuck on this one book for ages, 50 books is an arbitrary constraint you placed on yourself a year ago. If you ended up reading one thing that you enjoyed, and you might not have read if you hadn't posted in this thread then that's a good reading challenge.

I've never done something like this before and I guess I latched onto "challenge" a little too much. Last reading challenge I did was when I was 8 and it was to raise money for charity. Those lists were very formal and rigid.

SwimGood
Jan 2, 2015

Namirsolo posted:

I am really struggling reading Ulysses. I really enjoy the language, but I honestly can't tell what, if anything, is going on. Is that a problem? Should I resort to reading Sparknotes after I finish a section?

HIJK posted:

If I recall there's no real plot to Ulysses. It's a meditation on a day in the life.

I've read it, cover-to-cover, once and bits and pieces for school. From my reading, it has much more to do with modernism as a movement and academia itself. Joyce talks about some of it in his letters but secondary readings, like spark notes, won't help clarify the book that much. It's a book that's supposed to be analysed in a classroom while mocking those who do, so yeah, no real plot.

I personally would read it as a series of short-stories with Dedalus' thoughts as the common motif that links them together. Flip through and pick whatever catches your eye, highlight or mark your favourite passages/chapters and re-read the best bits. Unless your reading for an academic purpose, it's the best way to approach it IMO.

• Locked thread