Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Alright, I am in for the Stravinsky Challenge. I managed to squeak by my 2014 goal of 40 with a few novellas at the end. Since I anticipate having a bit more time on my hands I have upped my 2015 goal to 42 books for the year. I'll even bookmark the thread to increase the likelihood that I will check-in here.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/cithen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Update One:

Civilization and Its Discontents - Sigmund Freud
I read this as a part of the marathon read that took place on January 3rd. I've read it before, but the refresher was welcomed. It remains surprising to me how applicable Freud's insights are almost a century later, and also how mischaracterized he has become in contemporary society. I would encourage you all to read it as it is pretty accessible compared to some of his other stuff.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead - Tom Stoppard
I need to see this play performed. It is extraordinarily clever and funny.

Call of Cthulhu - H.P. Lovecraft
I had to get myself into a very particular mindset to enjoy this. The suspense was there, but I really had to let myself run away with it in order to feel it. I've only read this and "At the Mountains of Madness" by HPL. While I like what he tries to do, specifically, the slow-build into the profoundly strange, I have walked away from both of my experiences with a sense that it could have been so much better.

Invisible Cities - Italo Calvino
I read this for TBB's January Book of the Month and I am glad I did since I'm not sure I would have ever picked it up on my own. The book deviates from a typical narrative and it just worked for me. Calvino strikes a wonderful balance of evoking some fantastic imagery, while also playing with some interesting philosophical ideas. It can be enjoyed just for the language and images, for the philosophical, and as a serious piece of literature. I will probably read more Calvino as a result and likely come back to it for a re-read in the future.

Challenge Status
1. 4 of 42 books read.
6. An essay - Civilization and Its Discontents - Sigmund Freud
8. Something post-modern - Invisible Cities - Italo Calvino
17. A play - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead - Tom Stoppard
21. Short story - Call of Cthulhu - H.P. Lovecraft

• Locked thread