Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Going for 24 this year - I figure I can handle two books a month ...hopefully. :\

I'm also going to follow the challenges in the OP because that sounds super fun and I want to read outside of my comfort zone for sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I finished my first book of the new year today! Going to keep my announcements and my thoughts until the end of the month, but I'm glad to have started the year off strong. :)

I also think I added everyone who has posted their Goodreads here. My link: http://goodreads.com/nickisalright Feel free to be my friend!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Dienes posted:

You might like Of Dice and Men.

Anyone have a play recommendation that is NOT Shakespeare?

Sam Shepherd! True West and Buried Child are both excellent.

Edward Albee is also very good, check out Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and The Zoo Story.

A lot of Neil Simon's works are good reads. Rumors, Brighton Beach Memoirs, and Chapter Two are nice.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Exit the King by Ionesco is also great, gotta love some Theatre of the Absurd.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

• The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. 3/24
  • Read a female author
  • The non-white author
  • Philosophy
  • History
  • An essay Rebecca Solnit - Men Explain Things To Me
  • A collection of poetry
  • Something post-modern
  • Something absurdist
  • The Blind Owl
  • Something on either hate or love
  • Something dealing with space
  • Something dealing with the unreal: Paradise Lost
  • Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read)
  • Something published this year or the past three months
  • That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time: Moby Dick
  • A play David Mamet - Oleanna
  • Biography Benjamin Franklin: The Autobiography and Other Writings
  • The color red: The Scarlet Letter
  • Something banned or censored
  • Short story(s)
  • A mystery

Man, it sure felt like a lot when January started, but it was only 3! I guess I gotta keep rolling~

1. Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding. I've heard this one bandied about the scifi thread here fondly (pretty sure that's where I picked it up from) and it was...merely ok? It took a long time to get going and there was a LOT of descriptive prose of every goddamned place they went to that I wanted to skip over, and really far too much obscuring information from the reader for the sake of creating ~mystery~ (e.g. "He really wish things hadn't gone down that way, but then...that was a long time ago....he shook his head and changed the subject" type crap). But at the end of the day, I wanted to finish the book, I enjoyed the characters, the dialogue, and the action, and I might even want to read a sequel, so I guess it accomplished what it set out to do.

2. Oleanna by David Mamet. Here's my first play to check off, probably will read others. Oleanna is still great and it's awesome to return to it since I last read it when I was 18. Completely different interpretation and reaction to it this time around, imagine in another 12 years the same thing will happen. Very polarizing play, recommended for people if you haven't read it before.

3. Men Explain Things To Me by Rebecca Solnit. There's a lot of really good material in here, but it gets a little bogged down by all the hard and fast factoids Solnit shoots at you. A few of the essays aren't as strong as the opener, but overall it's not bad and at 80 pages it was a thought provoking read talking about social problems we should all be thinking over and feeling outraged about.

• Locked thread