Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Going to go for 26 again. Didn't hit it last year, but my time is now. As a challenge I'm going to shoot for at least half of them being comic books, in honour of Stravinksy being the book lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Blind Sally posted:

I'm nearly finished The Year Of The Flood. The structure is similar to Oryx and Crake, so much so that it is almost a reflection of the first novel. Only instead of Jimmy and Glenn, the perspective is told from two different characters--a couple of ex-God's Gardeners. Minor spoiler, as it becomes obvious right away if you've read the first novel and glanced at the book's synopsis on the inside cover, but one of the main characters is Jimmy's ex, Ren. It has been really enjoyable thus far, though I would recommend reading it sooner rather than later. It has been years since I've read the first book and now I'm struggling to remember details from it. Numerous events and characters who were key elements of Oryx And Crake show up here, but because the book takes place from different perspectives, their importance or their place is lost on me since I don't remember everything.

Totally agree with this. I really enjoyed Oryx and Crake and just a little bit ago finished The Year of the Flood. It fleshes out some questions left by Oryx and Crake. I'm currently reading MaddAdam, the final book in the trilogy, and so far I'd recommend it as well.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
January:

1) Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, by Cheryl Strayed. 3/5
2) The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America, by Thomas King. 4/5
3) The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch. 5/5
4) The Year of the Flood, by Margaret Atwood. 4/5
5) MaddAddam, by Margaret Atwood. 4/5

5/26

The highlight of the month was definitely The Lies of Locke Lamora. I can see why it's so highly recommended here. It's one of those books that is hard to put down.

The final two books in the MaddAddam trilogy are worthwhile, if you're a fan of Oryx and Crake(the first book, which is one of my favourite books). Lots of details are spelled out, though the last book was a bit dragging.

Wild was pretty meh, but I am a big fan of the PCT, so of course I read it.

The Inconvenient Indian was interesting and entertaining. Thomas King has a wry wit, and provides a reasonable overview of native relations since the arrival of Europeans, but I was hoping for more solutions. It's a tough topic so I guess there are no easy solutions, but the perspective from a native american is certainly worthwhile.

• Locked thread