Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I am going to aim for 50 books. I think I had a good mix of classics, contemporary, plays and different kinds of authors so I will take up the list you wrote up as part of the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
1. After Adorno: Rethinking Music Sociology by Tia DeNora - I guess that hits my female author requirement, even If i didn't really do it purposely. A very good introduction to Theodor Adorno's thought on music but it's not really the focus of the book. Denora tries to make Adorno more useful for modern approaches to musical sociology. Building upon her dissertation / past work that I'm not really familiar with but I don't think it's needed to appreciate her framework. Adorno is super cool so this book is super cool.

Adorno was a composer and a Philospherof the Frankfurt school, famous for the latter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9vU36JCbIM Adorno's compositions were very schoenberg-esque , he did love schoenberg after all. Adorno wrote some really polemic articles dealing with popular music and jazz etc, they are really funny and good. Many of Adorno's ideas are interesting (and to me, correct) but he is guilty and over generalizing but its all intentional. He writing structure is very unique and demanding, read more in this book to find out!!!

Lumius fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 8, 2015

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
2. Insomnia has lead me to finish The Republic of the Imgination : American in Three books by Azar Nafisi. Female , non-white and something else probably off the challenge, still going to work through it in order.

Anyway, the book examines how the author views America, past and present, through three (really four) famous American Authors. Nafisi uses Twain, Sinclair Lewis, Carson Mcullers, and James Baldwin. The second section of the book was the weakest, comparring babbitt to current American educational woes. I would've enjoyed the book more (maybe less?) if I've read more of these Authors, something to do during the challenge now!

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

8one6 posted:

Can someone recommend me a wildcard to read?

Edit: Could you also recommend a postmodern book?

Wildcard - The Emigrants by Sebald.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
read the sebald!!!

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
Someone hit me with a wildcard.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

Namirsolo posted:

I set my goal very high this year and I'm currently 3 behind. I think I can make it up, but we'll see.

Also, someone give me a wildcard.

the post office girl by stefan zweig. Put my wildcard on hold from the library, excited to read another Dumas.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

Roydrowsy posted:

Alexandre Dumas, the black tulip

It was good, real good.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I've been reading a collection of Chekov's plays during these awful hot summer nights. The (somewhat similar!) ending of Ivanov and The Seagull was uh interesting. I sort of hope all his plays end in the exact same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I Enjoyed the blind Owl a lot. the article contained with the translation probably helped with that immensely. Thinking a little more about it , so did the length. I'm sure It would've been exhausting if the same theme was expanded over 300+ pages. I think I'm approaching (if not done) the book lord challenge. I haven't consciously been reading things to check off the list other than the wildcard.

• Locked thread