Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
This is actually the year I don't assign myself an arbitrary number of books to read. Last year I fell behind by a bit, so I ended up prioritizing a bunch of light, short SFF novels over heavier fare. The result is that a bunch of longer, meatier works have been sitting in my to-read pile for months because I don't have "time" to read them - and I didn't have time to read them solely because of an arbitrary constraint I'd placed on myself. That's dumb as hell. This is the year I say gently caress it to that and read however many big-rear end books I can. On deck (as soon as I finish the new William Gibson novel I got for Christmas) are Gass' The Tunnel, Gaddis' A Frolic of His Own and Anna Karenina.

I might give the Stravinsky Challenge a shot as well, although I typically hit about 2/3rds of his list in a given year anyway (I've tried to prioritize books by women and POCs as much as possible in the last couple years).

edit: I feel like I should know this already, but Stravinsky: what's so great about The Blind Owl?

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Since January's over, here's my first update to the Stravinsky list. Doing well so far:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year.
2. Read a female author (Jacqueline Carey, "Kushiel's Dart")
3.The non-white author (Kenzaburo Oe, "A Personal Matter")
4. Philosophy
5. History
6. An essay (Michel Houellebecq, "H.P. Lovecraft: Against the World, Against Life")
7. A collection of poetry
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist (Thomas Pynchon, "Inherent Vice")
10. The Blind Owl (Free translation if your ok with reading on a screen or cant find a copy!)
11. Something on either hate or love
12. Something dealing with space
13. Something dealing with the unreal
14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read)
15. Something published this year or the past three months (William Gibson, "The Peripheral")
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time
17. A play
18. Biography
19. The color red
20. Something banned or censored
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

Books read in January:

1. William Gibson, "The Peripheral"
2. Jacqueline Carey, "Kushiel's Dart"

The kind of thing I'd usually avoid, as I'm not much into huge fantasy novels these days and the packaging makes it look like a romance novel wrapped up in fantasy trappings, but it came recommended by a Goodreads friend who's usually spot on with her tastes, so I gave it a shot. It was surprisingly well-written, tightly plotted and felt a lot like a less misogynistic take on the whole GoT/Dune "scheming houses" plot - but as the book goes on the protagonist gradually becomes a bigger and bigger Mary Sue until nearly every major character in the book has given a monologue about how great she is. Also it was long as balls. Not terrible, but I doubt I'll read the rest of the series.

3. Michel Houellebecq, "H. P. Lovecraft: Against the World, Against Life"

Fantastic: a series of three essays about Lovecraft's life and work written right before Houellebecq blew up in France. Has the best treatment of HPL's racism I've seen and informs Houellebecq's future writing nearly as much as it dives into Lovecraft's (It's no accident the phrase "elementary particles" is used like five times).

4. Kenzaburo Oe, "A Personal Matter"

A self-centered manchild has a complete breakdown when he finds out his child was born brain-damaged, goes on a multi-week bender and concocts fanciful plots to have the baby murdered. Oe is an absolute master prose stylist; able to make you feel horrible for the narrator and utterly loathe him in the space of two sentences. Goes to some dark places - every husband or father who reads it will likely have some of them hit uncomfortably close to home. The ending felt kind of hokey and undeserved.

5. Thomas Pynchon, "Inherent Vice"

I just finished this, and my initial impression is that it's a very smart book pretending to be a very stupid one. It's my first Pynchon, and "Gravity's Rainbow" is my "book you've had sitting on your desk forever book," so it definitely won't be my last.

Currently about to start The Satanic Verses, which is both a book I've always wanted to read and will also fill the 'banned books' checkbox. Any recommendations for a good book of poetry for someone who is pretty much poetry illiterate? I tried a book of Rilke's poetry and couldn't get through ten pages of it; poems are not usually my thing.

• Locked thread