Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I'm aiming for 52 books, which I doubt will be a problem normally, but I'm going to be going through a lot of the bigger books/series that have been in my to read pile for years now. I like your list, Stravinsky, and will tackle it as well. If someone wants to give me a Wildcard read, let me know.This is my GR profile.

Radio! posted:

Booklord, do you have any suggestions for books in the various categories? Especially the post-modern, absurdist, and hate/love categories.

I'm not the Booklord, but for post-modern give William Gaddis a try. There's a discussion here.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

elbow posted:

Sorry, somehow I forgot to include that I've never read any poetry I've liked. I enjoy Carver's short stories but haven't tried his poetry. I'm probably looking for something fairly easy; I dislike overly ornamental language and experimental poetry.

Maybe Emily Dickinson? She's the only poetry I've read and I really enjoyed it. The verse is structured and not too lengthy.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

CestMoi posted:

Poetry people there is a poetry thread HERE http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608630 and it's got some stuff you could probably consider, if you want to read good poetry.

If you have never read any poetry you have liked before you migth like one of the poems mentioned in the OP and some of the early posts sincd ethey're all very influential etc. If you really don't like poetry at all then I suggest you pick up a book of poems by Edward Lear and make sure you read them out loud, and you will find that actually you do like poetry.

Vocalizing poetry is important?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

8one6 posted:

And ordered. Thank you.

Edit: Since this ended up at the top of the page does anyone have a suggestion for a postmodern book?

JR, by William Gaddis.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

That sounds like some poo poo I would see in an appendix of Hitchhikers Guide.

Ugh. Part of me kind of wants to read this too.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Roydrowsy posted:

Meanwhile... I suppose I am ready for somebody to toss out a Wildcard book. You can pick what you want, it might take awhile to get to it. But, if I get any say, preferably something 50 years or older?

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

My Name is Red is the one I'll be reading. Looks pretty interesting.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I haven't updated at all this year, so I'm just going to add a couple of the best books I've read so far. The rest are here.

Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen - A classic romance which isn't sappy or trying at all. The characters were interesting and well developed, and it was really funny in parts.

Collected Stories and Other Writings, by Katherine Anne Porter - This books consists of three parts, the short stories, some reviews of books and authors, and personal writings - her history, personal experiences and suchlike. The main highlight is obviously the short stories. They're well crafted and a few of the later ones blew me away. The difference you'll see between this book and just the short story collections is the reviews and personal writings. You'll feel like you almost sort of got to know her a bit. It's a long book, but rewarding experience.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year.
2. Read a female author - Pride and Prejudice.
3. The non-white author
4. Philosophy - On Being Blue.
5. History - The Civil War, Vol. 1.
6. An essay
7. A collection of poetry - Canticle of the Rose.
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love - Northanger Abbey.
12. Something dealing with space - The Seedling Stars.
13. Something dealing with the unreal - American Vampire, Vol. 1.
14. Wildcard
15. Something published this year or the past three months - The Wolf Border (really good book).
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time
17. A play
18. Biography
19. The color red - Anne of Green Gables (she has red hair).
20. Something banned or censored - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
21. Short story(s) - The Last Wish.
22. A mystery

I am much further behind than I thought I'd be by now, and that is with stretching the definition of a few of these. This is going to put a kink in my reading plans for the rest of the year. Oh well.

Also, someone give me a wildcard book!

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Radio! posted:

Octavia Butler's Lilith's Brood.

Really, really good book.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Fellwenner posted:

I haven't updated at all this year, so I'm just going to add a couple of the best books I've read so far. The rest are here.

Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen - A classic romance which isn't sappy or trying at all. The characters were interesting and well developed, and it was really funny in parts.

Collected Stories and Other Writings, by Katherine Anne Porter - This books consists of three parts, the short stories, some reviews of books and authors, and personal writings - her history, personal experiences and suchlike. The main highlight is obviously the short stories. They're well crafted and a few of the later ones blew me away. The difference you'll see between this book and just the short story collections is the reviews and personal writings. You'll feel like you almost sort of got to know her a bit. It's a long book, but rewarding experience.

I had a decent couple of months for September and October, here's the score:

37. Slow River, by Nicola Griffith. There are three storylines layered in this novel, all of our protagonist at differing points of her life. They present very different persons as she has grown up, suffered hardships and traumas. The depth of character is really well done and is far and away the focus of the story. The cyberpunk trimmings didn't seem overwrought. Solid story.

38. Gone With the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell. Perfect. Just perfect. I'm going to need to read it again before reviewing.

39. Uprooted, by Naomi Novik. Standalone fantasy. One of those from nothing to everything sort of books. Light on the romance, thank god, detailed and I thought very well done.

40. Whose Names Are Unknown, by Sanora Babb. A novel of the dust bowl and resulting Okie migration west, originally slated for release in 1939 but canceled due to preemption by The Grapes of Wrath. The land and hardships endured are described well, but the characters not so much. Plus the theme highlighting the plight of the poor was rather too obviously done.

41. Balanced on the Blades Edge, by Lindsey Buroker. Really, and I mean really, light fantasy with a dose of romance as well. It's not overdone, though. I will ... probably ... read the next one at some point.

42. Between Shades of Gray, by Ruta Sepetys. This is sort of a YA Night, only about Lithuanian deportations and persecutions by the Soviets. The writing is kind of detached and simple, and probably went through additional editing in order to make it YA.

43. Pulphead, by John Jeremiah Sullivan. Essays on pop culture. Engaging writer, it turned out to be an interesting read. Biggest takeaway I had was an old (think early 1930s) blues singer named Skip James who is fantastic.

Made very little progress on Booklords list...

3. The non-white author
6. An essay
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
14. Wildcard - Pulphead.
15. Something published this year or the past three months - The Wolf Border (really good book).
17. A play
18. Biography
21. Short story(s) - The Last Wish.
22. A mystery

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Fedelm posted:

It's been decades since I read it but I remember having very mixed feelings. I think this character study of Scarlett O'Hara (and Melanie Wilkes) is pretty fair though: http://12-12-12.livejournal.com/207019.html

Oh, I hated Scarlett. I could understand where she came from and some of her decisions, the fact that she was strong and independent, but I found her to be on the whole pretty awful.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I enjoyed Carpenters Gothic as well, it's fairly short and post-modern.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Fellwenner posted:

I had a decent couple of months for September and October, here's the score:

37. Slow River, by Nicola Griffith. There are three storylines layered in this novel, all of our protagonist at differing points of her life. They present very different persons as she has grown up, suffered hardships and traumas. The depth of character is really well done and is far and away the focus of the story. The cyberpunk trimmings didn't seem overwrought. Solid story.

38. Gone With the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell. Perfect. Just perfect. I'm going to need to read it again before reviewing.

39. Uprooted, by Naomi Novik. Standalone fantasy. One of those from nothing to everything sort of books. Light on the romance, thank god, detailed and I thought very well done.

40. Whose Names Are Unknown, by Sanora Babb. A novel of the dust bowl and resulting Okie migration west, originally slated for release in 1939 but canceled due to preemption by The Grapes of Wrath. The land and hardships endured are described well, but the characters not so much. Plus the theme highlighting the plight of the poor was rather too obviously done.

41. Balanced on the Blades Edge, by Lindsey Buroker. Really, and I mean really, light fantasy with a dose of romance as well. It's not overdone, though. I will ... probably ... read the next one at some point.

42. Between Shades of Gray, by Ruta Sepetys. This is sort of a YA Night, only about Lithuanian deportations and persecutions by the Soviets. The writing is kind of detached and simple, and probably went through additional editing in order to make it YA.

43. Pulphead, by John Jeremiah Sullivan. Essays on pop culture. Engaging writer, it turned out to be an interesting read. Biggest takeaway I had was an old (think early 1930s) blues singer named Skip James who is fantastic.

Don't really feel like writing up elaborate reviews, so going to keep it really short.

44. A Matter of Magic, by Patricia Wrede. Ok. Plots were ultimately anticlimactic.

45. The Crying of Lot 49, by Thomas Pynchon. Really good.

46. Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut. Underwhelming. I get why people tend to like it, but the format just didn't do it for me.

47. The Blind Owl, by Sadegh Hedayat. Weird. Gotta read the introduction still, which I am told will help me appreciate it better.

3. The non-white author
6. An essay
8. Something post-modern - The Crying of Lot 49.
9. Something absurdist - Slaughterhouse Five.
10. The Blind Owl
14. Wildcard - Pulphead.
17. A play
18. Biography
[s]21. Short story(s)
- The Last Wish.
[s]22. A mystery
- A Matter of Magic.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Oh, I feel I totally got Blind Owl. It was a crazy and interesting ride. I also liked the prose when he was all doped up.

A GR friend told me that I would perhaps appreciate it more if I read the introduction of the book as well, is all.

I'll likely read the Three Drops of Blood collection next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

marblize posted:

Dude! It's December! Broaden your media-intake net-empathy!

Do you need recommendations?

No thanks, I'm reading one right now.

• Locked thread