Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I did 66 books last year, 33 of them were graphic novels or whatever and the other 33 were actual books. So I will go for 35 non-comics and won't post about my comics here. I will also try to do the Booklord challenge thing. I have already read 2 books this year (John Darnielle - Wolf in White Van and Amy Poehler's autobiography) and I generally read a lot of books written by women and POC, I also have some post-modern and absurdist stuff waiting to be read so that's not bad.

I wouldn't mind some recommendations for philosophy or poetry as I haven't gone down either of those paths too much. For poetry, I'd prefer recommendations of a collection rather than just one specific poem. I'd also appreciate some suggestions for something banned or censored. A quick google shows me that Lolita was banned in Canada at one point and I've never read it so maybe I'll read that, it's on my shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Stravinsky posted:

There was someone asking about something about the color red category but I can not find you but its an intentionally vague and broad category kinda like the love/hate one. Anything that you can think or someone can think of that can go into that category. Like you can read a book on communism or that one grr martin book with the wedding. Or maybe something a bit more literal. It is meant to generate some book talk and suggestions. I will be kind of disappointed if everyone picks like where the red fern grows, the red badge of courage, or the scarlet letter though :o:

I liked the vagueness of this category. I am probably going to read a book on color theory for it.

thehomemaster posted:

What are people's thoughts on not finishing books, say getting through 4/5 and then quitting (because it's bad/you get the gist)?

I had a number of books from last year (Dune, The 7 Habits if Highly Effective People) where I just stopped and said 'that's enough of that shite'

I rarely get 4/5 through a book and stop. If I'm going to quit on a book it's usually before the halfway point. That said, there are only a few books I've ever given up on. One was a crappy Stephen King book (The Dark Half), another was my re-read of Catcher in the Rye (which I read in my late teens originally).

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 6, 2015

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've never read any philosophy really, at all, so I don't have a clue where to start or what to say I'd be interested in. Thanks for the recommendations!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

anilEhilated posted:

About halfway through my first challenge book House of Leaves, as far as I'm concerned, Johnny Truant can go eat a dick. Hoonestly, I think that book could've done with an editor doing some clipping, except they probably didn't want to disrupt the whole THIS IS ART thingy. Sure, it's playing with layout and sturcture, I get it, now let me get back to the house.

Weird - I just took this out of the library too for my list. I haven't started it yet, though.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

First update:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. - went with 35, though I'm at 7 already so perhaps I aimed low.
2. Read a female author - Amy Poehler's Yes Please
(there will be others)
3. The non-white author
4. Philosophy
5. History
6. An essay - I read A Mathematician's Lament which I recommend if math or math education is of any interest to you - available online if you google for it. (I also read David Sedaris' Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls which is a collection of essays so this challenge is definitely complete)
7. A collection of poetry
8. Something post-modern
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love
12. Something dealing with space
13. Something dealing with the unreal - Currently reading House of Leaves for the first time to knock off this challenge
14. Wildcard (Some one else taking the challenge will tell you what to read)
15. Something published this year or the past three months
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time
17. A play
18. Biography - I could use Poehler's book again here, but I know I will read more biographies and books by women this year anyway, so I'll wait to check this off.
19. The color red - I read Josef Albers' Interaction of Color, a sort of textbook on color theory and how perception can cloud it. It was a little over my head since I don't have much background on this stuff, but it was interesting and certainly out of my element.
20. Something banned or censored
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

I also know what I'll be reading for 8, 9, 11, 15, 16, and 20, so I'm off to a good start. If someone else taking the Booklord challenge would like to give me a wildcard, I'm game for it now - something funny would be appreciated.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

High Warlord Zog posted:

Black Ajax by George MacDonald Fraser. There's a lot of period vernacular in this one, but if you can get get through stuff like the Aubrey/Maturin books or Huck Finn with no problems then you should be fine. If not, I suggest Arthur Conan Doyle's Rodney Stone as an ease in read (it's also worth reading since Ajex is Fraser's response Doyle's treatment of the regency era, and, because you asked for something humorous, a big influence on the work of PG Wodehouse).

I'll read both - Rodney Stone appears to be (partly) classified as a mystery, so I can use it for that challenge. Thanks for the recommendations!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I upped the "Read a book by a female author" challenge to "Read 10 books by female authors" because 1 isn't much of a challenge, and I made a spreadsheet to track my challenges. :shobon: Green means the challenge is complete, yellow means it is in progress or I'm waiting for those books to arrive at the library because I've put them on hold, anything else I've filled in is just the book I plan on reading to complete that challenge, when I get to it.

I've been posting my thoughts on the books I've read in the "What Did You Just Finish Reading?" thread so I won't paste it all here, but the nine books I've read so far are:

John Darnielle - Wolf in White Van
Amy Poehler - Yes Please
Brad Dukes - Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks
David Benioff - City of Thieves
Amy Stewart - Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities
Josef Albers - Interaction of Color
David Sedaris - Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls
Mark Z Danielewski - House of Leaves
Robert C O'Brien - Z for Zachariah

I'm currently reading a book about the band Teenage Head, then I will likely try to squeeze in the Douglas Coupland book on the list before my library books show up.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've been posting my thoughts on the books I've read in the "What Did You Just Finish Reading?" thread so I won't paste it all here. As of the last update I was at 9 books, but after February I am now at 16. Since my last update in this thread, I've read:

Geoff Pevere - Gods of the Hammer
Douglas Coupland - Worst Person Ever
Joe Palca and Flora Lichtman - Annoying: The Science of What Bugs Us
Janet Mock - Redefining Realness
Nick Cutter - The Deep
Emma Donoghue - The Room
Sadegh Hedayat - The Blind Owl

Here's my progress on the Booklord challenge:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 16/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 4/10)
3.The non-white author (Janet Mock - Redefining Realness)
4. Philosophy
5. History
6. An essay (Paul Lockhart - The Mathematician's Lament)
7. A collection of poetry
8. Something post-modern (Douglas Coupland - Worst Person Ever)
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love (Joe Palca and Flora Lichtman - Annoying: The Science of What Bugs Us)
12. Something dealing with space (Mark Danielewski - House of Leaves)
13. Something dealing with the unreal
14. Wildcard
15. Something published this year or the past three months (Nick Cutter - The Deep)
17. A play
18. Biography (Amy Poehler - Yes Please)
19. The color red (Josef Albers - Interaction of Color)
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

I'm currently reading Nick Hornby's latest book as well as a collection of poetry and a play. I took my assigned Wildcard out of the library (Black Ajax by George Macdonald Fraser) but the book was so old and beat up that it kept making me sneeze every time I opened it. Luckily, I found a clean copy in the used bookstore up the street yesterday, so I'll likely get to that sooner than later as well.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

RedTonic posted:

(Wicked Plants looks promising).

I read this earlier this year and did not like it too much. There were some very interesting plants but nothing gets more than 1-2 pages, so the majority of the book was stuff like "If you eat this kind of grass, you could get sick, so don't eat your lawn if you have this kind of grass!"-type of nonsense.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've been posting my thoughts on the books I've read in the "What Did You Just Finish Reading?" thread so I won't paste it all here. As of the last update I was at 16 books, but I am now at 20 - been a busy month. Since my last update in this thread, I've read:

Patricia Lockwood - Motherland Fatherland Homelandsexuals
Neil Simon - The Odd Couple
Nick Hornby - Funny Girl
David Brin - The Postman

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 20/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 5/10)
4. Philosophy
5. History
7. A collection of poetry (Patricia Lockwood - Motherland Fatherland Homelandsexuals)
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
11. Something on either hate or love (Joe Palca and Flora Lichtman - Annoying: The Science of What Bugs Us)
14. Wildcard
15. Something published this year or the past three months (Nick Cutter - The Deep)
17. A play (Neil Simon - The Odd Couple)
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

I'm currently reading Exit by Nelly Arcan, not sure what I will read after that but my wildcard is on top of the pile. I will probably read more poetry later this year (maybe something more traditional, or uh, older) and I really enjoyed reading the Neil Simon play. I'm going to read more of his plays because The Odd Couple was genuinely hilarious.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Had a slow April because I was reading the entire run of Preacher (which was great, but comics don't count in my totals), also work was busy. I doubt I will finish anything else by tomorrow so since my last update I've read:

Nelly Arcan - Exit
Heather O'Neill - The Girl Who Was Saturday Night

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 22/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 7/10)
4. Philosophy
5. History
7. A collection of poetry (Patricia Lockwood - Motherland Fatherland Homelandsexuals)
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
14. Wildcard
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

Currently reading a book on urban cycling and also slowly making progress through my wildcard.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Another slow month due to work. Thankfully, all of my deadlines were this week so I'll have more time to read over the summer. Since my last update I've read:

Yvonne Bambrick - The Urban Cycling Survival Guide: Need-to-Know Skills and Strategies for Biking in the City
Margaret Atwood - The Year of the Flood
Monica Heisey - I Can't Believe It's Not Better

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 25/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 10/10)
3. The non-white author (Janet Mock - Redefining Realness)
4. Philosophy
5. History
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
13. Something dealing with the unreal (Margaret Atwood - The Year of the Flood)
14. Wildcard
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

I'm still working on my wildcard, although the guy who assigned me it hasn't posted here since. I wonder if he's still doing the challenge. Anyway, next priority is to finish my drat wildcard finally, and also to finish out Atwood's Maddaddam trilogy.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Since my last update I've read some comics, but also:

Margaret Atwood - Maddaddam
George Macdonald Fraser - Black Ajax
Nick Cutter - The Acolyte

Black Ajax was my wildcard, and it took me 3 months to read. Yeesh. Here's my progress on the Booklord challenge:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 28/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 11/10)
4. Philosophy
5. History
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
14. Wildcard (George Macdonald Fraser - Black Ajax)
21. Short story(s)
22. A mystery

My goal last month was to finish my wildcard and the Maddaddam trilogy, and I did, which is great. This month I want to knock off a couple more challenges, maybe #16 and #20.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've decided to read A Confederacy of Dunces since I've never read it. Some places refer to it as absurdist, others don't. Booklord (or anyone), would this book qualify for the Absurdist challenge?

I'm going through a lot of books that I've always meant to read as part of this challenge - I just started Fahrenheit 451 for the first time yesterday too.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I kinda went down a Marvel comics rabbit hole this month, and I'm not counting comics or graphic novels towards my challenge, so not a lot of progress. But besides comics, I also read the following in July:

Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
Heather O'Neill - Daydreams of Angels

I'm using Fahrenheit 451 as my banned/censored book, and the other is my collection of short stories. Here's my progress on the Booklord challenge:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 30/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 12/10)
4. Philosophy
5. History
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
20. Something banned or censored (Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451)
21. Short story(s) (Heather O'Neill - Daydreams of Angels)
22. A mystery

I'm now tackling challenge 16. I've had Legs McNeil's "Please Kill Me" on my shelf for years and have never cracked it open so I just started that.

Guy A. Person posted:

Likewise "hate or love" can easily default to a love story which are a dime a dozen, although I saw The Berzerker chose a book about the science of annoyance which is pretty cool.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's the colour red that has me worried (that Stavinsky will track me down and beat me up for failing the challenge)

I've tried to go a little outside the box on some of the challenges, like my love/hate challenge. For the color red, I read a book on color theory, which is probably the most literal interpretation I could think of but it was more interesting to me than reading the Scarlet Letter or something about communism.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

So, one day after my last update, I got hit by a car. I also got an e-reader. As a result of these two things, I read a ton in August:

Patton Oswalt - Silver Screen Fiend
John Wyndham - The Day of the Triffids
Aziz Ansari - Modern Romance
Brian Keene - Darkness on the Edge of Town
Daniel Bryan - Yes!: My Improbable Journey to the Main Event of WrestleMania
Ursula K. Le Guin - Rocannon's World
Brian Keene - The Rising
Ta-Nehisi Coates - Between the World and Me
Elizabeth Gillan Muir - Riverdale: East of the Don
Moshe Kasher - Kasher in the Rye
Brian Keene - City of the Dead

I was on painkillers and generally read a lot of "easy" crap, at least at the start of the month. I gave Brian Keene 3 chances to not be a horrible writer but all 3 were strikes, so he's out. Horrible.

The Elizabeth Muir book counts as my history book - it's a history of Toronto, specifically my neighborhood. I'm still working on "Please Kill Me" for my #16 challenge. Here's my progress on the Booklord challenge:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 41/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 14/10)
4. Philosophy
5. History (Elizabeth Gillan Muir - Riverdale: East of the Don)
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time (in progress)
22. A mystery

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't think I will finish anything else this week so here's my September update:
Jon Ronson - So You've Been Publicly Shamed
Legs McNeil - Please Kill Me (booklord challenge #16)
Richard H. Popkin - Philosophy Made Simple (booklord challenge #4)
Jon Morris - The League of Regrettable Superheroes: Half-Baked Heroes from Comic Book History
Tana French - In The Woods (booklord challenge #22)

Ronson's book was really interesting and I'm going to read some of his other work this year. Please Kill Me was great, I'm glad I finally read it after owning it for years, but it really made me lose some respect for some people who I had tangential knowledge of previously. The philosophy book was just a basic primer but as someone who has never studied anything related to philosophy it was the basics. The Jon Morris book was a dud. The Tana French book was great, I loved it and have ordered the next couple of books in the series, so that was a nice surprise! Here's my progress on the Booklord challenge:

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 46/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 15/10)
4. Philosophy (Richard H. Popkin - Philosophy Made Simple)
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time (Legs McNeil - Please Kill Me)
22. A mystery (Tana French - In The Woods)

I only have one more booklord challenge to finish, and I know what I am reading for it (A Confederacy of Dunces), so I guess I will probably finish the booklord challenge in October. Currently reading The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub, and after that I intend to start Brown Girl in the Ring by Nalo Hopkinson - then I'll likely move to my last booklord challenge book.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Chamberk posted:

104. In the Woods - Tana French

I read this a few months ago and loved it. I guess it's part of a series, where a non-POV from one book becomes the POV character of the next. I bought the 2nd and 3rd books but I haven't dived into them yet. Also congrats on the kid!

October update:
Stephen King and Peter Straub - The Talisman
Michael Lewis - Moneyball
Sarah Vowell - Assassination Vacation

The Talisman is now one of my favorite King books, just a great adventure story. Moneyball was surprisingly interesting, I think I will watch the movie mostly because I'm curious how they're going to turn that into a movie. Assassination Vacation was kind of a dud. I still have one booklord challenge to finish, but I'm 2/3 through A Confederacy of Dunces so I will finish that in the next week or so. My work schedule combined with post-season baseball really sidetracked my reading in October.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 49/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 16/10)
9. Something absurdist
10. The Blind Owl
16. That one book that has been sitting on your desk waiting for a long time (Legs McNeil - Please Kill Me)

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 1, 2015

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I liked the ones that were vague ("the color red" led me to read a book on color theory that I likely would never have touched otherwise). The categories helped me stretch out a bit from my usual stuff which I really liked. I'll post my update this weekend but I finished the Booklord challenge about 2 weeks ago by finishing off A Confederacy of Dunces for the first time, which was a hilarious book.

I think you could keep some of the broader categories (history, poetry, collection of short stories) and tweak some of the others (the color green instead of red, or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

November update:
John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy of Dunces
Mindy Kaling - Why Not Me?
Stephen King - The Bazaar of Bad Dreams

Slow month, I have been doing 2 jobs at work since mid-October and when I do get free time I generally spent it playing Fallout 4 this month, so... either way, I have completed the ~*~ BOOKLORD CHALLENGE ~*~ which is great. I will definitely participate again next year. A Confederacy of Dunces was hilarious and I am glad it came up on a list of 'absurdist' books because it pushed me to read it. Mindy Kaling's book was something I read on the bus to work, it was just popcorn. The King collection is probably his worst short story collection, avoid it unless you're like me and read basically everything he puts out anyway.

1. The vanilla read a set number of books in a year. (Currently at 52/35)
2. Read 10 books by female authors (Currently at 17/10)
9. Something absurdist (John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy of Dunces)
10. The Blind Owl

• Locked thread