Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I never watched Utena. Is the dub OK or should I get my hands on the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
So it's as heavily edited as SM?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just watched the first four episodes of Utena and I didn't expect it to be so humorous. Also, Utena is a pretty awesome protagonist so far. Love how she just runs with the insanity and pulls a sword out of her roommate's chest as if it's nothing special.

EDIT: One thing, though. What's up with the random spinning roses? Some kind of funky censorship or are they all supposed to be there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqftBAuFYsk&t=610s

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 4, 2015

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah, I think they just used some of the same voice actors or something? Sub is preferable because it's an early 2000 dub, so not great but you're not gonna really miss out on anything if you watch it that way. Though it's sometimes kind of hilarious hearing some of the ridiculous Ikuhara lines in English.

After watching episode 14, the first episode of the second arch, I'm pretty happy I didn't go for the dub. Hearing the Sailor Moon voice actors in a show where one of the main characters is having nightly visits with her big brother , would feel pretty off! Love the show so far, in any case. The interview scene in that episode was great. The show also has some of the greatest mood whiplashes I've seen. Having Nanami getting chased by surfing elephants in one episode, then drowning a kitten in a flashback and also trying to kill the MC in the next is pretty... special.

The "walking up a giant staircase then pulling out a sword from a girl's chest while a choir is chanting" routine is now one of my favourite magical girl transformation sequences.

How is Ikuhara's other works?

EDIT:
(Ep. 15) Miki/Mickey and his sister are 13? Holy poo poo. Also, everything about the fight at the end was great. The cheery song! Drinking milkshake! Powering up a sword by stroking it!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 5, 2015

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Sorry for going on a tangent, but I've been marathoning Utena, and have reached the halfway-point of the third season, and just saw the recap episode (33) With Utena and the brother in a love hotel. and I have to hand it to the show's creators - I'm actually upset. That has never happened before. It's not like it came like a shock - season 2 and 3 both led towards this. I could see it coming, like a slow train crash, and I couldn't stop watching. I feel silly for writing this about a show with surfing elephants and sport cars performing synchronized dancing. But I'm actually angry at a fictional character. And the way anime shows work, I seriously doubt I'm going to get to see the villain get his comeuppance, but instead see a vague and confusing ending, which makes it worse. Still, kudos to the director for doing a story like that without making it feel exploitative.

I doubt this show will manage to make the same impact. Didn't feel it at all. Perhaps it's because I watched that Utena episode first...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Postal Parcel posted:

Trust me, Akio gets his comeuppance. Not in a way one would expect but it's satisfying at least.
If the tv ending isn't comeuppance-y enough for you, then watch the movie. Akio really gets it there.

Also, watch the movie anyway, the music is good(I love Sunlit Garden ~Abraxas~ and the 2 duel themes) and it's very...interesting.

Rangpur posted:

Akio makes a really good villain. Without getting too deep into black-bar territory, I don't think the ending of Utena is ambiguous. The potential aftermath is very much open to interpretation.

I just watched the ending, and while I would have loved an unambigiously happy ending, what I got was pretty good. Utena caused a small revolution in the end :unsmith: Also liked how they took the notion of the passive princess and tore it apart. I have NO idea what's up with [spoiler] Utena's disappearence though. Is she dead? Or did she actually get sent away? Does she remember anything of what happened in that case? But I guess that's not really relevant for what the writer set out to do. I just think it's kind of heart-breaking that the last we see of of Utena is her crying because she thought she let Anthy down. And why was the door protected by Utena's pink roses? I guess I'll track down the movie but it's more like an alternate take on the story, right?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 7, 2015

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Effectronica posted:

She grew up, and left behind the children's world of Ohtori. The movie is aptly named.

I like that interpretation. Great show overall. I marathoned it in three days and I can see why a lot of people remember it fondly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The Utena movie had some gorgeous animation and music, but the plotting and characterization felt rushed and haphazard. I see no reason as to why they included Miki and his sister at all when they literally don't do anything. They cut Nanami (except for a "cameo") so it's not like they felt they had to include everyone. Or they could have included everyone and had enough time to wrap up everything if they hadn't decided to have a 20 minute long car chase :psyduck:

It's like they started writing the movie as an "what if" version where Utena and Anthy actually talk and resolve stuff quickly (the first 15-20 minutes are great), then they got bored and just said'screw it' and just threw in everything they could think of with no regards to whether it fit or not. The Touga plot felt flat and romance felt incredibly rushed and forced. Sure, it's just a short movie, not a 39 episode show, but they definitely could have done a better job, I think.

Love the ever-changing school, though. It looks like a theater set, with different parts constantly being shuffled around.

• Locked thread