Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I guess this thread is the best place to ask this question, but what demographic was Utena even made for? It's way too disturbing for kids or young teens, has a bunch of wacky cartoon shenanigans going on, and is metaphorical and needs to be read on more than just the main plot line.

laplace posted:

There were plans to completely localize it under the title Ursula's Kiss but that never went through because Central Park wanted to ensure the ridiculous integrity of the ~original masterpiece~.
Holy poo poo please tell me there's an interview somewhere about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

laplace posted:

Here's a link to the rightsholder's website. It's amazing and 100% a real thing that was going to exist. Here's a writeup about it.
Good lord, this is up there with Doozy Bots and Saban Moon. I didn't think an English-friendly version of "Utena" would actually get far enough that they'd have spec character and story stuff ready to shop around. They mention "Slayers" in the article about Enoki, and I know there was a heavily-edited version of that shopped around to American TV networks as a potential Saturday morning cartoon. They even redubbed the first episode, but nobody picked it up. I don't know if that was before or after the Saturday morning cut of "Vision of Escaflowne" tanked.

laplace posted:

Utena's demographic was targeting fans of Twin Peaks, which was a massive success in Japan. This is not a joke, Ikuhara talks about it on the commentary.
This reminds me of an interview with the director of "House", where Toho told him they wanted that movie to be their answer to "Jaws". And yeah "Twin Peaks" was a massive hit in Japan, to the point where they reunited the cast to shoot commercials for coffee drinks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2j2-1V3Vw8

• Locked thread