Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Never has a thread title been more accurate.

Wark Say posted:

So, I just checked the Wikipedia article on this and apparently it's going to be a 12-episode / 1 cour thing. While I'm on Camp Ikuhara and I hope this is good, I really wonder just how are they gonna pull it off.
Should be fine, so long as it was planned as a 12-episode series. You can find fault in the Utena or Penguin Drum endings, but I think that's more attributable to Ikuhara just being kind of a weirdo than any conflict with the scheduling. "I wanted to see a beautiful girl turn into a car bear," and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Renoistic posted:

But I'm actually angry at a fictional character. And the way anime shows work, I seriously doubt I'm going to get to see the villain get his comeuppance, but instead see a vague and confusing ending, which makes it worse. Still, kudos to the director for doing a story like that without making it feel exploitative
Akio makes a really good villain. Without getting too deep into black-bar territory, I don't think the ending of Utena is ambiguous. The potential aftermath is very much open to interpretation.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

considering how bum a rep she got on the 90s anime, i wouldn't be surprised if takeuchi basically told them that they could either make a direct 1:1 copy/paste or they could gently caress off.
As an artist who cares deeply about her creation this is an entirely understandable reaction. However, the original anime also made her one of the richest manga authors in the history of the medium so it's a bit much to say she got completely screwed over there.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Auteur theory is a mixed blessing, sometimes you get genre-defining works other times you get Antichrist. My 3 episode test for this series consisted of waiting to see if it got that far without becoming one of those shows you get banned for even mentioning. Evidently it did, so I will give it a try.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Are you all referring to an episode that hasn't aired in the US yet, because I don't recognize half the plot developments you're referring to. It's going to make me feel very :saddowns: if I missed this much of an episode I supposedly watched.

(Either way this is a real interesting show to pair with watching Dear Brother for the ADTRW challenge month.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So I am an episode behind, then. I'll catch up later. Nice to see the show's actually going somewhere though, and not where I'd have predicted either.

Thing is, the first three episodes collectively don't amount to much. You can give the first one a pass because, well, it's the first episode and it provides the context and setting for future developments. But the next two really should have been one episode even if that meant writing Kanae out of the story--there's too much padding between them and it delays the part of the show where they actually start adding shades of emotional depth to the cast.

• Locked thread