Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I bet that everybody that you think is a Bear is really a Human, and everybody that is really a human is really a bear.

That's just my two cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kureha is a secret undercover bear.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

She has a gun, and is therefore the most dangerous of all the bears.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's about man's inhumanity to man.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a surprise birthday party gone horribly wrong.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There was a glitch in the matrix, and Kureha has to become the Ultimate Lily Warrior to fix it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's really just an elaborate ad for the Japan Hunters Association.

Rifles are cool, but handle weapons responsibly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nature is Good, and so is Civilization, but maybe we should work together to strike a balance between the two, as citizens of earth.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

We need to eliminate the concept of the circus, or the enmity felt towards humans by the dancing bears will result in the dark future you see before you.

Please think of the future children.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fishguts are gross and you shouldn't eat them, this misery is divine punishment.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Deforestation.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a heavily veiled and obfuscated retelling of the life and times of the 26th American President, Theodore "T.R." Roosevelt, Jr.

His nickname was 'Teddy' and 'Teddy' is another english word for bear. Shocking but true.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This post isn't a possible spoiler, I just think GAO GAO is a really good sound effect that should get used more.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's the Bearlin Wall.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm done now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You won't be laughing when it turns out every single one of my incredibly astute observations are revealed to be true.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's the invisible storm because you can't see the wind, it's invisible.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Maybe if it picks up a bunch of leaves first, but then you would be seeing the leaves, and not actually the storm.

It's really interesting.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ive never watched an ikuhara show before so I'm not sure what the overused stylistic tells were, but I've seen a lot of people say that so it must be true.

Personally I think a lot depends on the next episode and if it establishes the arch of the narrative or not. I like piecing things together and sudden shifts in storytelling, but I don't really feel like there's much to grasp on at all from one episode.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

As an actual longshot attempt at guesswork instead of a bunch of jokes, I think that the bears don't actually have much to do with Sumika's disappearance, it's something to do with the storm and made up to look like a bear attack.

Also Kureha was friends with bears beforehand, based entirely on that one bear having her mom's necklace and the discussion of who her friend was being left really vague. Also her favorite food is basically pickled fish guts.

I expect the actual explanation for what bears are to be more complicated than what was given, bears are always unreliable narrators.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

wielder posted:

I honestly admire all of the people who tried to decypher the symbols in every single episode of Penguindrum when it was airing, as well as those who are starting to do the same with Yuri Kuma Arashi, but I'd honestly prefer to sit back and take it all in first for a few weeks, before attempting to put forward any detailed speculation that could be easily proven completely or partially wrong at this early stage of the game. Ikuhara is the sort of creator who can be simultaneously surprisingly clever, transparently heavy-handed and even just way too surreal for a normal person to comprehend at first glance.

I absolutely agree in the futility, but think its fun and enjoyable to attempt to anyways.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wish I was a bear.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dan7el posted:

So, I will not pretend to understand all the imagery and associations attempted by this guy Ikuhara for this show. In fact, I will admit I watched Penguin Drum and didn't know anything about Ikuhara until you all started chatting about him with such vigor in anticipation for this show.

However, I do want to say outright that the whole idea of bears attacking humanity and being a real "threat" seems a little far fetched. In the USA alone, there are somewhat under 330,000 bears. For ease of calculations, which will soon become apparent, let's assume 320,000 bears total in the USA. The people-population is 320,000,000.

That's a thousand people in the USA per bear -- assuming the humans are all adults -- which they're not. Assuming half the humans are adults, that's still 500 people per bear. Considering the number of armed citizens, etc. in the USA, I hardly consider 1 bear per 500 people a significant threat to humanity.

This situation is worse in Japan. The short story is that there are 10,000 people per bear in Japan. This situation hardly seems dire, I really can't imagine the need for building some massive wall to keep the minuscule Japanese bear population from endangering the people.

Assuming, therefore, that bears aren't really what's the danger, then... I'm not sure.

I will say that there seems to be a lot of construction going on in the skyline/background. I wonder what the imagery for that is supposed to suggest? If I were to guess, and that's what I'm doing now, I'd say all the cranes and such indicating massive construction are representing some kind of parallel intent-creation that Ikuhara is trying to represent. I wonder if the buildings will begin to become more finished as the story goes along? It would be interesting to see.
I appreciate the bear stats.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everybody is bears.

The bears can use the guns.

All my predictions are coming true.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I still haven't pieced together how this all fits together with Teddy Roosevelts childhood in New York, but rest assured I am working on it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'd probably like the show more if the characters had more personality instead of basically being stock character types, though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kureha lives in the Psycho House and the interior is also the Psycho House.

Well.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 15, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The shows really uncomfortable, and I still don't know if I like it yet.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

To it's benefit I'd say its purposefully uncomfortable though, it was crafted to feel that way.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They're never gonna have a cast to care about if they keep killing everybody off though!!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also when the bear fell off the roof I never noticed it before, it's totally a photograph of an actual teddy bear, haha.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think the obvious sort of ending is Kureha and the Bears learning to love in a new and more honest way and changing the systems from both sides, but I feel like that kind of ending would actually disappoint me a bit and feel out of place, because the tone of the show and the world in it is weird. This episode confirmed that what the bears are doing is actual murder, so all the aesthetic horror references aren't actually that shallow. With the oppressive, encompassing environment, stock characters, and everybody dying all the time it's structured way more like a psychological/slasher horror series than a romance one.

Also you kind of muddle your message about bullying and exclusion being bad when you live in a world where people will kill and eat you when you don't, and also if you do.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 20, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it makes more sense when you remember that the bears are also victims who have this system imposed on them. Basically, if you're gay, society only allows you to be either a predator or a victim (and is perfectly happy with killing you if you're a predator). The Court of Yuri is just the flipside of the Exclusion Ceremonies.

Oh yeah as a statement of the actual world its totally true, but I haven't seen much of that in this show as it is. The bears, all of them so far, seem to revel in the eating. I think if that's an aspect of the world you wanted to expound upon you could do it even in earlier episodes like this, but instead even the two main bears are straight up taunting people before they kill them. Earlier I thought the eating was more metaphor or an obfuscation of the exclusion of people chosen by the Storm, maybe even them being removed to outside the wall, but this episode told us yeah they were killing and eating other people before her.

The theremin music doesn't really help me disassociate those scenes from horror movies either.

Also I feel like I actually don't very much care for these characters, or their love, because they're all pretty flat. In this episode we meet and lose a character that only got a handful of dialogue lines, none of which established much about them except an antagonistic role in the storm. They were a standard sacrificial horror movie victim type.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 20, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The teacher lady is going to become Big Boss Bear and kill everybody, and Kureha is going to have to shoot her down with the last love bullet the bears gave her, becoming the Sole Survivor of Love is the ending that the show should get with the tone it has right now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Although I guess if the line about burying the body was 'WE HUGGED HER SO MUCH SHE DECIDED THIS SOCIETAL PRESSURE IS FOR THE BIRDS, SO SHE IMMEDIATELY WENT AWAY TO GET OUT OF THE WALL AND WE BURIED THE THINGS SHE LEFT BEHIND HERE IN TRIBUTE, AND THATS WHY SHE WENT MISSING' would be really funny.

Really really funny.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

So many horror movie references.

The school hallways are the same as the hallways in suspira, and besides her own room, kurehas downstairs and whole house are the same as the bates home.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It would also be cool if the next episode opens on this finale, but then the girl reveals the black flower Yuri thing turned her into a bear now, and the entire episode is an epic teddy bear battle.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The finale of Freddy v Jason as reenacted by a troupe of teddy ruxpins.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh I read that line entirely differently than a deal with the devil, I thought they were specifically going after after storm members to protect her.

I hope the next episode opens up a lot more, since presumably kureha is in The custody of bears they'll have a chance to interact and maybe even reveal some things.

My biggest complaints so far are that so far you could fit the entirety of The casts traits and characters on a post it note, and the cyclical nature of everything means the show is spinning in circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

ty

but yeah this show has obvious themes and messages, im not arguing that

im saying that the way they're executed is awful. ive got nothing against sex, utena had plenty of weird sexuality in it too, but the difference is in Utena it felt like it was all there for a reason, that it was being used to make a point. in this show it feels like shameless pandering. People keep going 'well, it's Ikuhara, he wouldn't do that!" but what the hell has Ikuhara done to earn that? He's done Sailor Moon, which was a manga adaptation where everyone involved basically barred the actual creator of the manga from having any input because she was a vaginahaver, he did Utena, which I love, and then he did Penguindrum, which is a show that happened, and now he's making .

im not saying we should string him up by his gills and force him to breathe air, if he wants to make a weird titty show then let him, but people acting like he's the new god of feminism is the most annoying poo poo. If people find some sort of meaning and comfort in the show, awesome, but right now this thread feels like a bunch of people jacking it and feeling good about themselves, because they're getting off and they're fighting for homosexual rights in Japan.

I agree actuallly.

• Locked thread