Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

WTF is up with that bear? That's not a bear, that's a loving elephant. Holy poo poo, do they really get that big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I liked how Ginko was totally called out on ignoring Lulu's feelings, since it kind of is a lovely thing to do and because Lulu is great. Even though I doubt that was why Lulu felt like she had to ruin things on the roof. She knew Ginko wanted Kureha from the start and was pretty much cool with it, but she still deserves to get some love shown back to her.

I liked the reveal here too, since it made Ginko a bad person and justifiably feel guilty while still being redeemable and it was an understandable thing for someone to do. I'm not sure if she froze up and just didn't warn Sumika in time, only getting there after she was dead or if she chose not to warn her, followed her there and just watched everything.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 10, 2015

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Gyre posted:

I can see it as a closeted/out thing. Kureha wanted Ginko to be closeted so they could be together, like a lesbian couple hiding themselves as "friends". Kureha was the first closeted person in this world to say "no, screw this, if we can't be together as ourselves then what's the point?" and came out. Them getting shot at are the girls freaking out that there's an out lesbian couple right there who aren't caring what everyone says. When Kureha and Ginko ascend, it's basically them going "gently caress getting poo poo on for being ourselves, we reject the system totally". Laser girl starts rejecting the system right after, because even though the school sees "scaring" Kureha and Ginko away as a shaky victory she knows the truth.

It's admittedly a bit tangled but I think that's kinda what they were aiming at.

I'm pretty sure this is it. The ending reminded me a hell of a lot like Utena's, where it seems like its a tragic ending and that Utena has has failed at being a prince but really she's just accepted herself as who she is and stopped playing these silly games of princes and self-torturing bullshit that everyone else is still stuck in. We saw Lulu and her brother in the world of the dead and Kureha and Ginko weren't there. The firing squad was just there to make things ambiguous because Ikuhara loves his loving ambiguous angst and so the Invisigirls could delude themselves that they've "won". I think the ending was a subversion of their desire to "Exclude" the pair through death, and instead Ginko and Kureha just peaced out themselves and walked away from the system. Thus being "beyond severance".

That might have been redundant, but I basically think you've hit it square on the nose and helped me organise my own thoughts on it.

This quote seems pretty apt as well:

“Those who reject that place are, conversely, rejected by it as well. This is the nature of systems: The moment you reject them, you are forced to realize that they’re the very ground you’re standing on.”

—Kunihiko Ikuhara, Utena Episode Commentary: Part 2

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 2, 2015

• Locked thread