Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm going to go into future episodes of this anime assuming that it is Literally Attack on Titan, because that's the impression I got from the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ikuhara is a weird fucker, and I like him.

:agreed:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
James Bond is never actually seen putting his penis in a woman, so he's definitely a virgin.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Another way to interpret the ending could be that they're not dead, they just moved to America and got married, or something along those lines. I mean, Lulu is definitely dead and she's in heaven with her little brother, but Ginko and Kureha are just... elsewhere.
So according to Ikuhara, Japan is a lost loving cause and you should just move abroad before you get firing squadded.

Thuryl posted:

The whole scene with Kureha becoming a bear doesn't make any kind of narrative sense to me if both of them are just going to die anyway; if we're just supposed to read that as Kureha choosing to share Ginko's fate as part of an "ordinary" lesbian suicide pact, it wouldn't have the worldview-shattering effect on the invisible girls that we see it having. The very fact that lesbian double suicide is a cliche in Japan is one of the things that convinces me there has to be something else going on there, because whatever we're looking at in that scene it's definitely being presented as a miracle beyond the invisible girls' comprehension.

I think that was more Kureha realizing that she didn't have any right to turn Ginko into a human without even asking her, regardless how good her intentions were. If she really loved her, she'd turn herself into a bear, and so she did.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Even if they're not dead, it's kind of a lovely message, because even after all that they were never accepted by society as a whole. The invisible storm just declares victory and continues on, business as usual.

But at least that one girl gets to be with her pure lobotomized cybear waifu so all is good, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Pootybutt posted:

Their society as a whole was lovely and stupid, so who cares whether or not there were accepted by them? Kureha and Ginko find love and escape to a better world of their own making whilst the IS pitifully grinds forward, despite chinks already showing in the armor. That's literally it.
The society you live in matters a lot to you, no matter how full of poo poo it is, whether you like it or not. The ending would have been better if instead of showing how good Ginko/Kureha are, and how wrong everyone else is for rejecting them, it showed everyone else... not rejecting them. You know, changing their minds. That would've been positive.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You also had characters go on about how they were going to exclude them and never once utter the word kill in that regard so maybe you should assume that THIS PARTICULAR THING is entirely on a metaphorical level.

It really has been a case of people over analyzing and then just ignoring any part of the shows text that doesn't agree with their preconceived narrative.

Yeah of course they're not literally dead. If they were, they'd be with Lulu and her brother. The ending could still be seen as a death metaphor.

• Locked thread