Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Another season, another silly, mildly-sex-related anims for goons to be madly insecure about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I kinda liked it. It feels awfully Ikuhara, right down to the gimmicky storytelling tropes and deeply meticulous, play-esque set design, but in a way that felt familiar and cozy instead of rehash-y. It's not the first of his series I would introduce to a newcomer, but it took six episodes for me to get on board with Utena, so what do I know? The direction is on-point, so I'm confident Ikuni isn't just phoning anything in here. The scene where Kureha dashes through the school(and conveniently establishing the surrounding areas of the setting) looking for Sumika was lovely and very striking.

Oodles of silly surrealist humor, too. I'd be perfectly fine with the bear VA's providing every sound effect in the show.

Weird how they stay in chibi form when they go feral.

I didn't really bat an eye at all the super overt SYMBOLISM or nakedness, but I didn't really know what to expect to begin with.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Best episode yet this week. Finally getting more glimpses into backstory, how the characters think, how the Storm directly and indirectly affects everyone, and finally some flashbacks about Sumika that aren't just FLOWERS MOM SUKI. This show is silly and good.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The Yuri Kuma dub is pretty great.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Their society as a whole was lovely and stupid, so who cares whether or not there were accepted by them? Kureha and Ginko find love and escape to a better world of their own making whilst the IS pitifully grinds forward, despite chinks already showing in the armor. That's literally it.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Mymla posted:

The society you live in matters a lot to you, no matter how full of poo poo it is, whether you like it or not. The ending would have been better if instead of showing how good Ginko/Kureha are, and how wrong everyone else is for rejecting them, it showed everyone else... not rejecting them. You know, changing their minds. That would've been positive.

That would also be pretty silly and unrealistic, and not fit with the setting they had established at all. The fact that they were shaken nearly to the core by Ginko and Kureha was plain as day right there, but at the end of they day, repressive systems just don't change over night. Bigots just don't suddenly let go of all their deeply-held beliefs and biases.

The IS continuing to exist is one of my favorite touches about what I thought, speaking as a homosexual, was a pretty ballsy ending and valuable message, all told. I guess it depends on how you choose to look at it, cause I didn't really equate what happened to the girls with death or even suicide, seeing as how their standing their bravely paw-in-paw as the system points guns AT THEM. Figured the heaven/Kumaria imagery was just Ikuni bein Ikuni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

we've all got irony poisoning from being shrek'd by an anime

The irony opens!

• Locked thread