Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

ANN's official spotlight has more information about the characters and staff if you want to add them to the OP.

At the very least people should click this to experience the super-literal translations that ANN has to use for their spotlights. Seriously, it's really something.

Sakurazuka posted:

Was that bad? It didn't get a BD release over here so I never picked up a physical copy.

There were times when they played it a little too fast and loose with the subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

smdh if you let a panty shot convince you to not check out a show by a hella talented director with a good track record.

Space Flower posted:

Eh, I can give anything that's not a Xebec anime the benefit of the doubt for a few episodes.

Hey now they handled the Yamato 2199 anime and it ruled!

Go by the people involved in the production, not the studio.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eh if I see a director I really like moving to a different demographic I just think "hm, I wonder what he's gonna try now" and not worry about the demographics or anything.

That said the trailers show stuff that look Ikuhara as gently caress so I do not think he is going to drastically change his style!

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 5, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Failcon posted:

Once again, Legend of Korra infects these forums with its "epic" lesbian overtones from the final episode. What's with goons suddenly being fans of lesbian pairings ever since that show aired? I'm pissed and loving tired of reading about how all shows with a female lead need to make them a lesbian. Is it to meet an invisible quota imposed by the fans onto the creators? You should all be ashamed for your strange depraved fantasies of a marginalized group of society. And now they're underage? What the gently caress goons, what the gently caress?

I'm gonna guess that you have never seen any of Ikuhara's shows, forums poster Captain Failcon.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

I kinda liked it. It feels awfully Ikuhara, right down to the gimmicky storytelling tropes and deeply meticulous, play-esque set design, but in a way that felt familiar and cozy instead of rehash-y. It's not the first of his series I would introduce to a newcomer, but it took six episodes for me to get on board with Utena, so what do I know? The direction is on-point, so I'm confident Ikuni isn't just phoning anything in here. The scene where Kureha dashes through the school(and conveniently establishing the surrounding areas of the setting) looking for Sumika was lovely and very striking.

Oodles of silly surrealist humor, too. I'd be perfectly fine with the bear VA's providing every sound effect in the show.

Weird how they stay in chibi form when they go feral.

I didn't really bat an eye at all the super overt SYMBOLISM or nakedness, but I didn't really know what to expect to begin with.

I was a little worried that Ikuhara might fall prey to becoming an unintentional parody, but other than that it felt like a pretty solid first episode. With a weaker director I'd roll my eyes at some of the corny yuri stuff in the first half but with Ikuhara at the wheel I'm down with giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I could sorta get an inkling of the social commentary he might be going for (having to stay in groups, choosing to blend in or eat, etc) but it's one of those things I wanna wait on, to get an idea of how it's gonna unfold.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As one of the apparent minority who actually watched that first episode, there was no rape in it. There were lesbians and bears though!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sailor-Arrakis posted:

I think he's suggesting that the "eating" is symbolism for sex. Which would absolutely not surprise me.

It's always possible but I think trying to guess exactly what Ikuhara's game is this early in the show is a bit of a fool's errand.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I've got a theory here, but it involves a lot of :words: about the Japanese attitude to homosexuality and media depictions thereof, so stop me here if you're not interested in that/don't want to talk about the sociopolitical subtext of a show about underaged lesbian bears.

If anything a thread for an Ikuhara show seems like the perfect place to go hog wild with that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Iunno this feels like the sort of show where it will be impossible to think too hard about :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Space Flower posted:

He did literally say his show was out to revitalize the yuri genre so

Yeah. Wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that in doing so he's also going for some commentary on it.

It was pretty interesting to see some of the history on that subject, might shine a light on some stuff in future episodes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think there's a pretty big difference between knowledge that enhances your understanding of a work and needing to know something in order to make any sense of it.

I didn't know anything about Galactic Railroad when I watched Penguindrum (and my knowledge of the sarin gas attacks was limited to "a cult did it and it was a big deal") and I didn't feel like not having that knowledge was a burden that affected my enjoyment of the show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tough to tell how it'll be overall but I felt the first episode was a pretty solid way to start things off.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

Is this going to be another series where everyone is like "it isn't about incest" and then at the end they are all like "yah it was about incest"

Nanami was the best character in Utena and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I had been hoping that the show would improve a lot once it eased up on the repetition since unlike Utena I've found the formula to get a bit grating.

And luckily, I was right. Very good flashback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Nanami loving owns.

• Locked thread