Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Well the rape imagery apparently went right over my head. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm watching this show for the bears and their ridiculous outfits. :colbert:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Lulu and Ginko are looking like they're gonna end up being protagonists, which is cool, and was kinda obvious from the preliminary material as well as the opening and such but is still real cool.
Also even though all of this was kinda predictable given the first episode, it still felt like something of a surprise. A good show, if somewhat unsettling, so far, and probably gonna be a whole lot of fun as things get underway.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Also, if Lulu and Ginko aren't malicious, the whole "give yourself over to the bears, and your love will be approved" is a lot less sinister, and might actually imply some sort of protection from the Invisible Storm.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Effectronica posted:

I mean, Kureha does clasp hands with them at the end of the stock footage.

Yeah, but with the context of only the first episode, that could just imply she gives in and surrenders to being eaten. As opposed to... Consenting to being eaten I guess?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Effectronica posted:

It happens after the eating, so I dunno. But I think that the student council president's murdering of "invisible" girls is more likely to be metaphorical for rape/sexual assault, with the "eating" Ginko and Lulu are doing being consensual.

That's what it seems like, yeah. As opposed to last episode which made it very much seem like a bears versus Kureha thing, with what little context we had.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The academic article from which it draws that statistic (and a good deal of other information) is basically pure :stonk:, and probably still quite show-relevant. This being a story about yuri, I'd be surprised if we don't have at least one attempted suicide in the remaining episodes.

This does not seem like it's gonna be a fluffy happy idealistic show, no. I'd be surprised as well.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I still think this show is really exciting and I'm on the edge of my seat to see what's gonna happen next.
It is a bit more horror film than romance, though, yeah.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The bears had tanks.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

They had guns and tanks.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I think I may, for the first time ever, be actually glad I made this thread.

Sharkopath's predictions were pretty good too.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Sure, those are fairly valid points, but as you say, in a culture and genre that's devoting an increasing amount of attention to how lesbians can live happily as lesbians, the fact remains that 'at least they died happily and inspired others' really isn't a revolutionary statement for such an overtly political show with such freedom to be ambitious.

Yeah I'm not gonna bother finishing this, I think.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Is it worth spending the time finishing this show? I just kinda ended up not watching the last few episodes because :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

The ending is okay but if you got bored enough to not bother watching the last couple of episodes, probably not.

I got distracted by Shirobako and Evangelion, so not so much bored as distracted by fantastic anime.

• Locked thread