Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I don't recall Silver Link ever having budgeting problems.

This is just such a fantastic premise. At best, Ikuhara blows everyone away with a fantastic story. At worst, it's cute, hilariously absurd yuri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Paracelsus posted:

Anything that reduces the number of "Nanami tries to find curry ingredients to cure body swap"-style episodes is a crime against humanity, and also against surfing elephants.

You've got it backwards! Obviously they intend to get rid of everything else.

I'm hype for yuri bears in cow suits.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Momomo posted:

To be perfectly honest, the stuff I've seen of this new anime looks kind of garbage. Seeing panty shots of all the main characters in their first appearances doesn't give me a lot of faith in the final product. I enjoyed Utena a lot, and Penguindrum was pretty good, so I'll give this a try, but I am not expecting much.

Eh, I can give anything that's not a Xebec anime the benefit of the doubt for a few episodes.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sakurazuka posted:

And somewhere, Ikuhara is sitting on a throne in the middle of a darkened room, drinking red wine and cackling manically.

With his new oppai mousepad.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Having only seen this and like the first 4 pages of the KlK thread I have a question: Is every bad anime thread here just sad nerds ineffectively trying to burn one another? Because Captain Failcon you're trying way too hard in a thread about lesbian murder bears.

I just pretend it's all banter and everyone here actually loves each other very much, and suddenly the thread seems like fun and games.

@ Catfish: Utena and Penguindrum at least started out grounded somewhat in reality. Yurikuma is starting out with the abstract in full swing, and the first episode just leaves me grasping for something to comprehend.

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 6, 2015

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just don't know why it's ok and good to get horny to this but KLK is problematic.

Is that an issue worth the discussion in the first place? Whether or not someone is attracted to anime teenagers with nipple-less breasts, I hardly think the fanservice angle is even relevant for this show. If we wrote off every anime that had pin-up posters featured in Megami, Nyantype, etc., we'd be out of shows to watch.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

what do you think the bear mauling is a metaphor for

ask yourself honestly

Are they not literally mauling people in reference to Sankebetsu? I figured the eating and 'eating' were two different things.

Also: ? ? ?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Makes you think, don't it?

People just assume the demographic for schoolgirl lesbians is "fat hairy virgins" but, for instance, the readership for Yuri Hime is 70% female and they serialize moe series like Yuru Yuri.
I'm male so I just try to be open-minded about everything. If Akiko Morishima thinks portraying sexuality is an important part of fleshing out the relationship between two girls, I want to respect that. Then on the other hand you have mangaka like Aoki Ume, who writes her stories as "so subtext they could possibly be just friends". I think that is also yuri.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Motto posted:

Well, Morishima is just the character designer on this, right? The story is Ikuhara's work.

She does the manga version all on her own, but the two are separate continuities, so yes.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

OnimaruXLR posted:

I kinda wonder if Attack on Titan was in Ikuhara's brain when he was cooking this up. I mean, you've got a bizarre carnivorous threat to all human life, a wall that's pretty clearly part metaphor, infiltrators, violent death of the ostensible protagonist's loved one in the first episode... uh... a hunting rifle... ?

I'm feeling a little bit of DOOM: Repercussions of Evil with the blue girl, Kureha.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Xun posted:

This show is bad

I like it

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Serious Frolicking posted:

So taken at face value, the courtroom scene was basically just dudes arguing back and forth about maintaining balance between humans and bears before going 'lol jk you are bears it is totally cool if you eat humans because you are hungry', right?

That just gave me more questions. Like, why are bears holding a trial for whether or not bears can eat humans or not? Do they seriously conduct a trial every time a bear's stomach is empty, or...?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hrm, I don't agree.

He did literally say his show was out to revitalize the yuri genre so

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
This show is just about the anime titties and fanservice, guys. Huh, lesbian empowerment? Revolutionizing the yuri genre? Don't give me that, the women in the show are just objects for creepy men. No one but them could possibly enjoy this show. Furthermore, I can't imagine why Morishima Akiko, a lesbian who has made yuri manga her life, would ever sign up for this project except to sell her soul to pedophiles in Akiba.

But seriously, can you guys stop projecting your insecurities?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sakurazuka posted:

Morishima loves drawing titties and fan service and sex, that's why I like her stuff way more than the usual 'friends but with kissing' that yuri often falls in to.

I just have an issue with egregious use of words like 'fanservice' and 'pandering' in stigmatizing connotations as if there's some objectively right or wrong way to write sexuality. Funny enough, it's possible that this very topic is a theme of the show. We'll see.

(Well, I mean, there are of course ways to go about sexuality that are considered wrong by hopefully every member of this board, but, you know. Within reason and all that.)

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 11, 2015

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Ginko and Lulu's magical-girl transformations make me think, this is a new spin to the old Nanoha phase, "you gonna get befriended."

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Jay O posted:

ANN's episode reviews of the show started today. Nice comprehensive writeup of the show's themes, ideas, imagery, and poo poo like that as covered by the first three episodes, at least I think so. I may of course be biased on account of I'm an editor on ANN, but I didn't write the thing, so hey.

If it helps, I'm consistently wary of ANN but this reviewer shows extensive knowledge of the subject they're writing about and open-mindedness on the subject matter; the analysis of allegory and imagery is spot on without going into speculation fuel.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Phobophilia posted:

Yo, have you guys been reading one another's works?

or it's just obvious at this point what the themes are

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

show's theme: ikuhara's huuuuge erection

show's images: titties

show's idea: fapfapfapfapfapfap

Yo, you are really obsessed with 'old men sexualizing underage girls'.
If you've got something to tell the class just go ahead and say it man

EDIT: I don't want to waste a post on pure vitriol but I'll keep going—your shitposts continuously irk me. What is your angle, bro? Are you completely ignorant of the cultural context behind this show? Are you just rusing for 'teh lulz'?
This show is so coherently fighting the objectification of women in various ways, and you want to ruin it all just because you can't look a girl in the loving eyes when you speak to her. Why, man? Why can't we have nice things?

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 20, 2015

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

How undercover can you really be when you're reading a magazine called "Gau Gaw"?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also stay after the credits, we get a nice post ending shocker that all of us know will just come back to bite everyone in the rear end eventually.

Oh come on, voyeurism isn't that bad.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sakurazuka posted:

While this would be nice I have no faith that this show isn't going to go for an ironic tragic end because I guess that's the best way to point out how stupid the classic tragic ends are?

An ironic lovely ending is still a lovely ending.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes, that was my point.

But why relinquish the inherent quality of the show to make a statement when the show is currently doing a fine job of balancing the two?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

a kitten posted:

Eh, I wouldn't call Madoka a yuri series, while I agree there's subtext (or text!) it's far from the focus of the story it's telling.

In the first place it really seemed like Madoka was a broad-minded series. Everyone who watches it takes something different from the experience, and multiple rewatches will do the same thing to a single viewer. So one person might not even notice the yuri elements while they might be the core theme to someone else.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Beef Waifu posted:

Who is Ikuhara's self-insert? Is that me?

Requesting Vocaroo of your best Life Sexy.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It is only sex if you see a penis go into a vagina directly on screen.

Darth Walrus posted:

There was a pretty clear postcoital vibe to it. Easily as much as any of the scenes in Yuriika's office, and you ain't going to say those were chaste, idealised relationships, are you?

I mean, yeah, it wasn't explicit onscreen sex, but a pair of happy naked lesbians snuggling together in bed is pretty overt.

This show wouldn't even exist if things were as simple as you imply, though. The sexual connotation is easily possible, but on the other hand I could name countless desexualized yuri couples who could easily pull off 'naked together in bed reading a book with nothing else going on'. There is nothing that points to Kureha and Sumika being one or the other. In fact, while I might be on the fence just based on that, Sumika and Kureha are the only possible pairing to fit the role of a chaste, loving relationship to complete the show's allegorical theme.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

I AM THE MOON posted:

so are the goons who watch this furries, or are they just pedophiles

I don't mean to be insensitive of what's gone down in this subforum in the past but I swear if you switch out "let's search evil" for "let's search creepy", this show's themes can be used as a metaphor for ADTRW.

I'm to understand that creepy poo poo has gone down in the past, but rather than just letting moderation handle problem cases it seems like everyone is eager to point fingers and find the next scapegoat so that they can feel less insecure about enjoying anime. Am I wrong about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

AnacondaHL posted:

there is no lol big enough

I'm not taking a high road, either. I felt very foolish after getting defensive and jumping on Endorph earlier. I was just throwing baseless accusations because the "this show is bad and you should feel bad for liking it" posting got to me and I lashed out irrationally. So I could just be projecting here. Sorry.

• Locked thread