Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I personally would have called those lobster enemies scorpions due to there tails. But, to each there own.

Edit: new video on previous page.

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

Today's level is a bit more laid back then the last one, so enjoy it.

Area 4 - A Leisurely Stroll

Major_JF fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

See I THOUGHT I read that somewhere but i couldn't get it to work, I didn't know about the 'they had to be released' thing.

Today's level is a bit more laid back then the last one, so enjoy it.

Area 4 - A Leisurely Stroll

Wow, that boss was a chump, I have no idea why they thought that horrible eye monster so early on was a good idea. Your attempts at it were pretty similar to my own!

Did you skip buying a permanent health upgrade in the shop? :psyduck:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Bellmaker posted:

Wow, that boss was a chump, I have no idea why they thought that horrible eye monster so early on was a good idea. Your attempts at it were pretty similar to my own!

Did you skip buying a permanent health upgrade in the shop? :psyduck:

Yes. It's really not a big deal. It was either give up a max HP up or miss out on a possible subweapon upgrade, since when you buy an item from a shop the other items disappear forever. It's impractical to hit max HP anyways, as it requires an impractical amount of farming your score for HP ups. There's a bug that'll allow you to purchase multiple items from a single shop, but it requires you to have enough chips on hand to collectively purchase the items you want and that's not really possible here*.
* I'm pretty sure you don't actually have to buy anything from the shop to get the Blue Lander to unseal it, meaning you can come back later with more chips and do it then.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Yeah, thanks for reminding me about that goddamn big eye thing. That guy's a jerk. Talk about crashing and burning. I still love the area music, though. One of my favorite NES music tracks.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Yeah pretty much over the course of the game you're going to get plenty of Health Ups so its better to grab a subweapon.

Welcome to the Cave, I like this area a ton, it actually makes you adapt new strategies.

Area 5 - Crystal Caverns

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The "Gradius ship" boss (Clawbot) from corridor 15 is not as strong as the one from 14. It's slower and has less life. I assume their placements are a bug. Generally the color of enemies represents their relative strength. Green - easy, Blue - medium, Red - hard. This isn't the case for all enemies, but bosses conform to it pretty well.

The hint to remove seal 5 was a little mis-translated, methinks. You don't just shoot randomly, you shoot the corridor sign at the top.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Ofecks posted:

The hint to remove seal 5 was a little mis-translated, methinks. You don't just shoot randomly, you shoot the corridor sign at the top.

Yeah, in Japanese it says: Shoot the "corridor"

Easy enough mistake to make if you just have the words in front of you and don't know how it connects with the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Usually I just swapped to enemy erasers for those blue crystal rocks.

...or am I misremembering and they don't work on those?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
The cover to this game gave me nightmares when I was five.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

You know I always wanted a sequel to this game, so I love mock up art of it.

Area 6 - Roundabout

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

I'm just going to make a complete shot in the dark and say that maybe the Enemy Eraser is so strong that it can actually destroy event objects. No idea if that is actually true or not, but it could explain why nothing else worked on the seal until you reentered the room.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
I kind of wonder if the bosses have a weird difficulty to them because the game was redesigned late in development. It seems that the lower the number corridor the easier it is? I think? I'd have to rewatch to confirm but this video seems to support that theory at least. If the game was redesigned, it'd make sense that the lower the number, the easier the boss, since I'm assuming the game was likely much more linear.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

DeliciousCookie posted:

I kind of wonder if the bosses have a weird difficulty to them because the game was redesigned late in development. It seems that the lower the number corridor the easier it is? I think? I'd have to rewatch to confirm but this video seems to support that theory at least. If the game was redesigned, it'd make sense that the lower the number, the easier the boss, since I'm assuming the game was likely much more linear.

Possible, but a lot of Nintendo games at the time were just kind of like this. Teams were small and development time was short. I'm not sure how much playtesting was done, really weird difficulty spikes (as well as odd bugs) were pretty common.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

You were correct in your assumption, Newbie. Your character does move faster once you acquire your 5th shield upgrade.

Walking into (vertical) walls is actually a thing! You can also move through single-line vertical red pyramids which is pretty useful in some places. I was able to consistently do it by spamming the dpad in the general direction of the wall and firing the main gun. No idea what causes it, maybe Olesh can explain?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Ofecks posted:

You were correct in your assumption, Newbie. Your character does move faster once you acquire your 5th shield upgrade.

Walking into (vertical) walls is actually a thing! You can also move through single-line vertical red pyramids which is pretty useful in some places. I was able to consistently do it by spamming the dpad in the general direction of the wall and firing the main gun. No idea what causes it, maybe Olesh can explain?

It's not an uncommon thing in games of the era. I don't know exactly why it happens but it's probably something along the same vein as why if you jump into a wall just perfectly and time your jump just right, you can jump off the wall in the original super mario bros - technically for one frame you're in the wall and standing on a block so the game lets you jump again. This is probably something to do with the way the game handles clipping into a wall, which is why it only works when moving diagonally against certain types of walls.

Sadly, even though the fireball (and some of the other subweapons, don't recall which) totally does get rid of the seaweed and it happens in the video, red Optomom is the worst because his strands are so long before they detach that there's almost zero opportunity to clear them out.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

I love your sincere befuddlement when the seal won't open. That would've been my exact reaction. "I'm sorry...what?"

Re: empty stretches of corridor:
I liken the empty bits to the boss gates in the Mega Man games. The developers of those titles made a deliberate choice to give players a flat, enemy-free screen to traverse right before every boss, allowing players to both relax for a few seconds after a tough level and to collect themselves before proceeding to the final challenge of the stage.

The empty stretches in The Guardian Legend typically come after massive shitstorms of enemies, right? Maybe the developers were helping give your fingers a rest before the boss?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I love your sincere befuddlement when the seal won't open. That would've been my exact reaction. "I'm sorry...what?"

Re: empty stretches of corridor:
I liken the empty bits to the boss gates in the Mega Man games. The developers of those titles made a deliberate choice to give players a flat, enemy-free screen to traverse right before every boss, allowing players to both relax for a few seconds after a tough level and to collect themselves before proceeding to the final challenge of the stage.

The empty stretches in The Guardian Legend typically come after massive shitstorms of enemies, right? Maybe the developers were helping give your fingers a rest before the boss?

The corridors are also of fixed length so they might have just wanted the music to get to a certain point sometime. Or just let you chill for a few moments like you say.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Okay good I was SUPER confused by me moving fast all of a sudden, I seriously thought I was going crazy.

Hey so I attempted a new and possibly better way of editing Audio this set of videos, tell me if it sounds any better/clearer.

Area 7 - The Eyes

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The octopus enemies die if you touch them and do zero damage. You just need to fly around touching them, if you want to save enemy erasers.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Watching this game, I feel like "Why isn't this a franchise?" It just seems like a lot of fun and could have a lot of the metroid type gameplay everyone is really in lvoe with.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The fireball eats the piercing lasers from those bat-like enemies, as well. Once I got the L2 Fireball, I basically used nothing else for the rest of the game. It's pretty OP.

Corridor 8, honestly, is a good place to use enemy erasers. The octopods never stop spawning and the boss is rather nasty. I was stuck there for years. Part of the problem is that I skipped a really important overworld boss that I thought was unbeatable - it's not and the item it drops made all the difference.

I'm attempting a saber-only run. Meaning main shot until I pick up the weapon right away in area 0, followed by no main shot whatsoever. It's quite interesting so far. Part of the challenge comes from the somewhat broken hitbox on the sword. Often you need to get closer to the enemy than the sprite displays, which means more damage taken than usual. The first hard fight was the blue Crabot overworld boss in Area 1, body hits from him hurt really bad. What I should have done, however, is go straight to Area 2 to get the gun from the pathetically easy blue crab. I thought gun pickups only affected the main shot, but I guess they work with sub-weapons too, because the blue Crabot in Area 2 was far easier. Another part of the challenge is managing your chip level, but that hasn't been much of an issue so far. Yet another challenge is trying to play with my X360 pad's stick since the dpad is garbage for 8-way maneuvering. I'm currently stuck on the blue Optomon... I don't have enough life to tank many hits on the side, and there doesn't seem to be enough of a gap in the seaweed barrage for a stick-and-move approach. Might be impossible without score farming for more life (blegh).

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 26, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

Watching this game, I feel like "Why isn't this a franchise?" It just seems like a lot of fun and could have a lot of the metroid type gameplay everyone is really in lvoe with.

It was really hard. Like Nintendo hard, hard.

It is one of my most beloved games along with Actraiser (the first one) because it merges two styles of games and has one influence the other, which is so beautiful and not seen a lot, even today. And if they do have it, it usually isn't very satisfactory.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Okay good I was SUPER confused by me moving fast all of a sudden, I seriously thought I was going crazy.

Hey so I attempted a new and possibly better way of editing Audio this set of videos, tell me if it sounds any better/clearer.

Area 7 - The Eyes

Does the tile set for the new area remind anyone else of a certain image?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

It was really hard. Like Nintendo hard, hard.

It is one of my most beloved games along with Actraiser (the first one) because it merges two styles of games and has one influence the other, which is so beautiful and not seen a lot, even today. And if they do have it, it usually isn't very satisfactory.

Really the only part of the game that's hard is the _very_ early part, before you really get any upgrades.

Right now Newbie is almost maxed on power - he has one more GUN upgrade possible (it maxes at 4 GUN) and most of his subweapons are upgraded. As long you're using subweapons pretty liberally, there's not a whole lot in the game that's all that threatening. Hell, the game gives you the freaking enemy eraser relatively early and you can get ammo for it as a random drop from enemies - maxing out ammo for it only takes a couple of minutes if you're willing to go in and out of one of the rooms with multiplying enemies to farm drops.

As far as the forward wave beam goes, it's pretty much the worst subweapon because it does the same thing as the multi bullets except it's only forward and it has a fixed damage instead of scaling based on your attack power. Fully maxed out it does 1 more damage than the multi-bullets when your attack power is maxed, but I always find either the fireball, the spin shot, or the shield to be more useful.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

DeliciousCookie posted:

The single-digit corridors are the main ones you must go through to advance the game; you may notice they are the only ones that have puzzles attached to them and the only ones that give you the key to the next overworld area. Double-digit corridors only give you weapon/health/chip upgrades and are optional (but of course you want to beat them anyways), so it makes a certain amount of sense that the "gateway" bosses are tougher.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Gonna start this post off with this, so it's been brought to my attention that the Octopus enemies can be easily killed if you run into them. None of my resources mentioned this and really why would I do that, so enjoy an episode with parts where I continue to complain about 1 specific enemy.

Area 8 - The Heart

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I always hated Grimgrin. When he gets to his "eff you" mode it becomes fairly tough to keep up with all that stuff he spews without a health stock of Enemy Erasers. I remember dying a lot to that guy.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

We're closing in on the end here.

Area 9 - The Endgame

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Jesus this game looks hard as balls. I'm terrible at SHMUPS too. :negative:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mordaedil posted:

Jesus this game looks hard as balls. I'm terrible at SHMUPS too. :negative:

It's manageable save Octotentaclelaser jerk. The final area though :negative:

Hasn't been a lot of posts, but I'm chiming in to say this LP is good and you're good Newbie.

E: I'm looking forward to seeing Level 3 Chaser if I'm remembering it right.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 3, 2015

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
So is the Guardian a 30 foot tall mechawoman, and she's running around Zentradi-sized corridors? Or is she a regular sized mechawoman, and all the enemies are comically undersized?

This has been bugging me the whole LP.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

AltaBrown posted:

So is the Guardian a 30 foot tall mechawoman, and she's running around Zentradi-sized corridors? Or is she a regular sized mechawoman, and all the enemies are comically undersized?

This has been bugging me the whole LP.

v0v who knows, I don't think NES put that much thought into things.

Area 10 - The Finale

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm really impressed with this game overall. Once I saw IREM's name at the end though, its obscurity made sense. Their most famous output seems to be balls-hard shooters that defy convention. They're of course the creators of R-Type, but they also made for example Metalstorm, the incredibly ambitious platform shooter that integrates a gravity flipping mechanic ala VVVVV. I'm guessing the post-game password will be like with that game and be the doorway to a mind-numbingly hard difficulty increase.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Choco1980 posted:

I'm really impressed with this game overall. Once I saw IREM's name at the end though, its obscurity made sense. Their most famous output seems to be balls-hard shooters that defy convention. They're of course the creators of R-Type, but they also made for example Metalstorm, the incredibly ambitious platform shooter that integrates a gravity flipping mechanic ala VVVVV. I'm guessing the post-game password will be like with that game and be the doorway to a mind-numbingly hard difficulty increase.

I haven't watched the last video yet, no wifi here, but one password (tgl?) let's you do only the flying segments, with you getting a subset of the exploration segment rewards every corridor. It is much, much harder since you can't pickup everything accessible before starting the especially hard corridors.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Maybe you should have instead of posting.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Velius posted:

I haven't watched the last video yet, no wifi here, but one password (tgl?) let's you do only the flying segments, with you getting a subset of the exploration segment rewards every corridor. It is much, much harder since you can't pickup everything accessible before starting the especially hard corridors.

Velius posted:

I haven't watched the last video yet, no wifi here,

Velius posted:

no wifi here,

Velius posted:

no wifi here,

Velius posted:

no wifi here,

Velius posted:

no wifi here,
How did you even post if you didn't have access to the internet? :iiam:

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Olesh posted:

How did you even post if you didn't have access to the internet? :iiam:

He is a phone with limited bandwidth capabilities.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Depending on the day (about 50/50) I'm either ironically amused or peevishly irritated by people who post in response to a video without actually bothering to watch the video in question, especially when the video itself answers the question they are posting about.

On the other hand, that gets a lot closer to 100% amused when people pause the video to post about something which is answered later on in the video - so much so that I now make a point of intentionally loving with people who do that because it's funny.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Oh I forgot to post this with the update. The final video will be on sunday like always, but it will be a stream around 2-3 PM EST. I'll be firing up the TGL mode and just seeing how far I can get, since its no actual new content just a different way to go about the game. A recording of the stream will be put up in the thread later for those who miss it. I'll post the stream information in the thread around that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Oh I forgot to post this with the update. The final video will be on sunday like always, but it will be a stream around 2-3 PM EST. I'll be firing up the TGL mode and just seeing how far I can get, since its no actual new content just a different way to go about the game. A recording of the stream will be put up in the thread later for those who miss it. I'll post the stream information in the thread around that time.

Thanks for the LP. There hasn't been a big response but I've enjoyed it. You're better at it than I am, that's for sure, I only beat it with heavy save state reliance long after playing the original cart. I never had a manual either, so I can't comment on the final boss name - I played what I suspect was a Chinese illegal copy a friend owned.

The last bits of the game are kind of a slog. The first corridors all have themes, and vary things up enough that each is pretty unique. Even the 'sea' themed early levels change it up in the flight speed and the different enemies that get thrown at you. The ending corridors are all kind of blah with every enemy in the game thrown at you continuously with no cohesiveness. Given that I never got that far originally maybe it makes sense they put their effort on the earlier phases of the game. I'm looking forward to seeing how you deal with TGL mode, I usually hit a wall either at the Lobster without fireball or shortly thereafter, but you are way better at using subweapons than I ever was.

• Locked thread