Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Here's something I had only ever associated with old movies about the invasion of Normandy:

quote:

Emergency workers inspect a damaged bridge near Kuznetsovka village in Zaporizhzhya region of Ukraine on January 21. An overnight blast destroyed a railway bridge in the eastern Ukrainian region of Zaporozhye, cutting a railway link between the city of Mariupol and Ukraine's west. Ukraine's state security service said suspects had been identified in relation to the blast, and were currently being searched for. The east of Ukraine has suffered a surge in violence in recent days. There is a growing sense of foreboding as fighting between Ukrainian government forces and separatists intensifies, complicating peace efforts involving Ukraine and Russia.

Some of that old-school French resistance type state-sponsored insurrection.

Someone should really classify sensitive information like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdfFCaDOM3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Spicy Guacamole posted:

There's no point in trying to hide that kind of information in this day and age. Anybody who wants to make a mess can just poke around one of the numerous publications a la Anarchist's Cookbook or any of the Army's own pubs. Hell, there are even private companies that reprint older manuals like ST 3-20.983 that have all that poo poo in them.

Cool video, though.

I was joking, because for whatever reason I find it novel that tactics and strategies from any given conflict will usually end up being relevant in another down the line. Plus it made me think of that video, which I originally saw somewhere on here, I think, and I wanted to post it again.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Christ, never get captured by the people you're shelling.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

New Fallout looking good

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

ded posted:

they would get maybe 2 shots with it before it ate CB

Speaking of this, one thing I never realized is that in WWI gas was a standard part of counter-battery fire. I was reading up on the Canadian role in the 100 Days offensive, and it's hilarious how poorly our self perception of lines up with actual history. Here's a great quote from a book I read recently:

J.L. Granatstein, The Greatest Victory posted:

The Canadians, among the Great War's first victims of gas warfare, learned the lesson of Ypres well. They would become among the heaviest users of chemical weapons throughout the war, most especially in counter-battery work where gas shells were mixed in with high-explosive rounds, all aimed at stopping the enemy's guns from firing. Certainly General Currie [Commander of the Canadian Corps] had no qualms about using gas: "we went and carried the battle to the Boche," he told a Toronto audience in 1919. "We tried to make his life miserable. We gassed him on every opportunity and on one occasion ninety percent of the gas in France was being thrown at the Boche by the Canadians. We never forgot that gas at the second battle of Ypres, and we never let him forget it either. We gassed him on every conceivable occasion, and if we could have killed the whole German army by gas we would gladly have done so.

Funny how we get taught that plucky Canadians were the first victims of gas in the war, but not that we happily adapted it to our own use.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 5, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Who run Tikrit Town?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Speaking of, new photo-gallery from the Atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2015/03/the-vietnam-war-part-i-early-years-and-escalation/389054/

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Perfect protection from mud and lovely drivers, if not much else.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I dunno, late-war gun crews had counter-battery down to an art, given their equipment. Obviously it wouldn't stand up to modern day tech, but we're talking about dudes who regularly used gas-shells to suppress enemy batteries.

Super interesting time in terms of evolving tactics.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

Compared to us 'bellhops'

Bonus action shots for all your alt-history needs:

Quoting myself from the military history thread. I had the chance to meet a whole bunch of 8th & I Marines when they came to the fort I was working at this Summer, and we have a shared tradition of a field gun firing race. Taking part in the competition is probably one of the cooler things I've ever done. The Marines on the gun were mostly drum and bugle corps guys, and were really chill.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Members of the Indian Navy ride a float during India's Republic Day parade in New Delhi on January 26, 2016

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

A BTR with what appears to be a completely home-made turret covered with a shiny green coat of paint? I realize they do this dumb poo poo for an internal audience, but drat that's ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Imagine if everyone had iphone 6's during WW2

INSANE KÖINIGSBERG PANZERFAUST COMPLIATION HITLER JUGEND FUNKER530

• Locked thread