Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

poo poo, back before money got tight we would get flyovers for football games or the noon meal formation pretty regularly. Like you said, usually just planes deviating a few miles on their way somewhere else. For Army/Navy, or when the Generals in town for Corona, poo poo got crazy. Most of that got turned off around '05 though.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Apparently flyovers used to only require the most cursory of coordination, so it was pretty easy to decide to take your four-ship to visit your alma mater. I can't recall what oopsie or flagrant waste of taxpayer money brought the hammer down (although I remember hearing a rumor that it was a fighter coming in level with the stadium lights while someone important was watching) but the DoD started requiring much higher levels of justification and approval, and now that they're tracking our fuel use on a per-sortie basis, those days are probably never coming back.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Are those guys Hezbollah?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

My guess would have been Pakistani
I was going based on the yellow headbands with green text; Hezbollah staple.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

Welp, so much for "hearts & minds"
Are you posting from 2005?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

On the contrary: I'm sure that they know exactly who it is
That joke was a lot funnier four posts before yours.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

8lbsofanalsex posted:

I heard a story of one time in Afghanistan we had a humint source tell us where some guy was but also warned us about a dragon that lived on the nearby mountain top. Not a weapon system or unit called a dragon but an actual mythological creature type of dragon.
More likely either the source or their 'terp was still high as gently caress from the night before and trying heroically to maintain.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

You'd think people would have learned their lesson about overtaking EP-3s on the right after what happened last time.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

:stare: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell... that's one way to go.

Goons in Platoons > Military Pictures and Youtube Thread - if it goes boom it goes here

Although if I was going to be executed, "blown apart by a cannon" would easily be in the top three ways to go.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Don't breathe in the smoke coming from the Blackbird, it likely contains actual metals.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I remember hearing Abdullah held some sort of flight qual back in his Prince days, (nevermind, that was Hussein, his predecessor) but I think even the most loyal head of the Air/Armed Forces is going to steer his 53 year old boss away from a cockpit when he gets his blood up. Never let your General (or King) get tactical on you.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 5, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Didn't a Roosevelt land in Normandy? Not quite royalty, but I'm sure he had the opportunity to ride out the war in Washington or something.
TR's youngest son, Quentin, was shot down over France during WWI. TR Jr. fought in WWI and went ashore at Utah beach (while his son, Quentin II, went ashore at Omaha). Kermit fought in both World Wars, and committed suicide after he came home.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Richard Bong posted:

So was the jamming just kind of ignored because most people are using bolt action so "It fires faster than that rifle even if you count the jamming :downs:" or what? I dont get how they kept those guns in service.

I think by the time they realized they were unsuitable for trench warfare, the choices were, "keep the lovely machine gun in service until we find something better" or "some units go without machine guns."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

I dunno, I'm sure there's some involved complicated cultural reason why militaries on the South Asian subcontinent behave this way but that'd probably take a lot of anthropological effort to figure out

The Wagah crossing ceremony is to European military tradition as Bollywood is to the Hollywood Blockbuster.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Article 15, LOR, will not be permitted to reenlist.

Pretty sure that's ROKAF, judging by the camo and sick air-flare. Just how they do.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Quick, I need that gif of Kreiger wiping a tear from his eye. Anyone have that?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

"Oh, I'd forgotten: we had all the professional musicians purged as Muslim Brotherhood supporters."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Pretty sure the last aircrew to get shot down in Vietnam was an RF-5C crew doing BDA, so take that as you will.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

It was one of the last...I think a BUFF got shot down by a SAM a couple days later during the tail end of Linebacker II. Also there were some other losses in 1973 (A-6, A-7 (both USAF and Navy), F-111) but they were all either from AAA in South Vietnam or in Laos/Cambodia.
There was also that VNAF AC-119 gunship (that we had turned over to them) that was shot down on the last day of the war (pg 82) attacking NVA columns marching on Saigon, but they were technically not American.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 17, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

I was completely unaware there was a C-1 AEW variant. They called it the Tracer instead of Trader. :3:

The Anti-Submarine Warfare variant was called the Tracker.

(Click for big.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

from the kantai thread i have been hate reading over at ADTRW:
I was less displeased when Zeris was posting chicks getting spiky seedpods slingshotted at their buttholes.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm the cardboard cut-out.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Didn't the FAMAS have an issue where it splits brass casings on ejection?

This is how the action works:

Extraction begins immediately, while the case is still under full pressure, with the regulation being done by parts that wear down over time.

Also,

Godholio posted:

I like my Beretta just fine. :colbert:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 19, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Three operator moon was hilarious. Then I saw their other designs and thought they were serious. But that video...holy poo poo. These dudes are geniuses.
CarniK Con is basically the best part of owning a gun.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

thetechnoloser posted:

Teaser for VFA-27's latest cruise video. One of the highlights is a night strafing run. :gizz:

Edit: Also, a really cool FLIR view of a JSOW delivery. Unf.
Speaking of which, is anyone else having issues with DownloadHelper in Firefox 36.0.1?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Potential BFF posted:

Is the dark dusty stuff in the initial blast sea floor that has been kicked up?
Yup. The underwater blast in Crossroads-Baker was dirty, and left fission products, radioactive material, and contaminated sand from the lagoon all over the site.

Castle Bravo was even worse.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

The US has never had any rad naval attack chopper names. Sea Cobra/SuperCobra and Seahawk are about the sum total.
KnightHawk! (oh poo poo I think the pylons fell off again)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The Brazilian popo probably have more confirmed kills than the average country's military.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Spicy Guacamole posted:

This one fires from a closed bolt, so the guts are going to be very different from an actual M249. I'm sure they put plenty of thought into designing it so that it would be very difficult to make it cycle automatically, specifically for that reason.
Wait, how hard is it to get a post-sample 249 if you have the right paperwork?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

Funny you should mention that. A glass ceiling just got broke.

Have her try IOC next.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
"Sniper Pilot" is/was an actual Soviet/Russian designation for an experienced pilot. Owns.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

killmeimmafailure posted:

If I were hired to gently caress with an armed force I'd learn all their sops and then design equipment that would break when those sops were followed.
Westinghouse Aviation Gas Turbine Division did it years ago.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

killmeimmafailure posted:

Then why we still got oxymoronic policies? Smarter not harder right?
Putting soldiers in charge of other soldiers and then letting them make decisions on their own.

quote:

Again, I love America, but isn't that why the mig was so effective? It was purposely designed to be counter-intuitive so that the pilot would struggle to learn how to fly it. As a consequence, they could land them shits anywhere partially because the pilot was so comfortable with the mechanics of flight.

Conversely, when you're riding on a 2billion dollar, designed by committee, "lemon" when you encounter a computer error it's extremely hard to fix and continue flying. I know how computers work, but if some rear end in a top hat decides to burn my sdd I'm sol. Again, I'm a dinosaur and, obviously I haven't got to look at the flight systems (and the redundancy therin) but I sure as poo poo couldn't perform heart surgery on nano chips (or whatever the gently caress) in a hibob.

Again, looking at the historical parallels, the Germans had top of the line tanks, but were ultimately ineffective against both a) late soviet counter productions and b) the sheer amount of cheaper, more expendable American tanks

It's a question of efficiency, and the problem is Inefficiency comes at the cost of lives
You high as gently caress, son.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

As someone not incredibly well versed in jet engines would you care to explain, please?

Westinghouse engines were selected to power most of the early Navy jets, on the strength of their WWII war contracts. Their early engines were chronically under-powered, which was not uncommon at the time, but they never were able to master compressor design or create a reliable engine control system. As a result, the J34 was underpowered, suffered chronic compressor stalls, and flamed out far too easily. The promised successor, the J40, was cancelled for falling behind schedule and failing to deliver the required performance. Westinghouse engines ended up taking a lot of blame for the failure and deaths associated with the F3H Demon in particular, and Westinghouse left the engine business in the 1960s after losing contracts to GE and P&W. The J34 wasn't the only Navy engine to gently caress up a promising design and kill a bunch of dudes (looking at you, TF30) but being the weak link in so many early Navy programs due to failure to innovate or deliver on time irreparably tarnished the brand.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 22, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Wasn't a lot of that unreliability due to Jewish laborers sabotaging the poo poo out of them? I think I read in this farm some dude even carved his initials inside ones armor or something

Their unreliability was due in part to the drivetrains on some German tanks being fantastically complex machines for what they were, and later the precipitous drop in quality caused by wartime rush and allied interdiction. Major sabotage by conscript labor is widely rumored, but usually it's hard to find authoritative sources. Usually it's an anecdote about Gramps being narrowly missed by a bomb that had had its explosive fill replaced with a note from Jewish/Polish/Norwegian workers. More common was simply doing a lovely job: pouring concrete too thin, or in a weak mixture, improperly finishing precision parts, loving up welds or drill press holes, and other stuff that's hard to distinguish from starving people being impressed to replace skilled labor. Probably for the best, since suspected saboteurs were hung or sent to a concentration camp.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 23, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Keeping all your ammo and powder in the crew compartment also makes penetrating hits spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGaxZr1ZlAg&t=50s

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Don't forget the Gutless Cutlass.

Pretend I posted the account of the Blue Angels first of this aircraft in its "solo demo" role that it flew with them for like 3 shows total before they retired it because they quickly realized it was going to kill someone (and potentially a whole lot of spectators too). The first performance involves a complete loss of hydraulics in the middle of a "max performance"* climb followed by losing so much altitude that the plane clipped trees at the end of the runway before flaming the left engine out and finally recovering while leaving a flaming trail of hydro in the sky.

It sounds like quite a show as long as you weren't directly under the flight path.
I meant Cutlass. No idea why I typed Demon.

Still, I love the style of the early jet age (because I flew the good parts of it.)

F4D Skyray, powered by the venerable P&W J57.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
:lol: Let's publicly offer Japan a dual-key arrangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

the Demon was yet another of a generation of Naval fighters that was completely crippled by being powered by a Westinghouse motor... the project being cancelled until... it could fly and not kill people on the reg (11 Demons crashed killing 4 pilots in its first 3 years in service).
To be fair, it's hard to keep track of all those.

quote:

Well like I said in the CE thread (regarding nukes)...
I don't really care if it's possible, I just want to see what a month's worth of full page headlines look like in Chinese.

• Locked thread