Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

8lbsofanalsex posted:

As the saying goes, if the van(armored truck thing) is riding low than it's about to blow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrlTedVXNIc#t

They sound like drunk rednecks shooting paint cans when that thing goes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

war tourists oughta bring back shouting deus vult

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
9th Company is a sweet movie.

And who wouldn't want a Hind? Carpet the troop bay and it's a discount luxury helicopter!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The DoD did the same thing with reporting suicides and sexual assaults. Those still get reported but they aren't nearly as much of a priority. Also they changed the rules around reporting suicidal ideation, so now it's only reportable if verified by a doc at mental health... except that the doctors can't report to us for PII reasons, and we are the only people allowed to publish said report... So the numbers magically dropped. Problem solved!

They might have some other reporting system in the med group now but I highly doubt it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dingleberry posted:

Looking forward to the first port visit by the Japanese Navy to Pearl Harbor... Flyovers!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv1niwxQgoY

Pretty much the only scene worth watching in that whole movie.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IDK man if all I owned was sandals and a pair of socks I wouldn't be picky either

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure the only military target in Carlsbad is maybe the gas station.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chinatown posted:

The drunk marines who invade from Pendelton every weekend.

I was thinking of a different Carlsbad because I'm retarded.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's extremely hosed up to me that most bases aren't even allowed to have a wing flagship or anything. I mean Travis is a 3 MDS base so maybe we'd have to have 3 or something insane like that, but we already have the most boring tailflash known to man and I guess that's going away eventually, too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

You probably do, but they're subtle. It's the normal tail code with a white back shadow. Sometimes the color tag at the top will look a little different.

Check out the middle jet.

Back when AWACS jets were assigned to the squadrons, each sq's color was at the top of their jets. The flagship had all of them. When the jets were organized according to the three AMUs (Red, White, and Blue), the AMU's color was at the top. I'm not sure what they are now since Blue was shut down a few years back...probably still red and white bars at the top.

This is somehow actually worse than no flagship at all.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Embausworld is some drat win.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

well they only forgot to put some electricwire at the carsh site to recreat some of the details, but maybe the next time they will, its already a very good scale model of the fairchild disaster.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The ren fair melee is cool.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gibfender posted:

It's like Russian nesting dolls of awesome

Air refueling is badass

Is that a misfire or something

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dear god they both look retarded.

Me reading this post

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pfft human being drummer cant even keep bearing when a two-bladed axe flies across the square and hits him in the arm? Pussy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus can't believe they stuck the landing if the Chinook was that hosed up

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bolow posted:

The last arab army worth a poo poo was under loving Saladin

Do the Turks count? They were doing pretty good for a while there

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kavak posted:

I think you mean the Columbia, the Challenger at least was quick.

They later figured out that while the explosion looked like it should have killed or at least knocked everyone unconcious, the cockpit module was almost totally intact until impact and a bunch of the levers and switchs were in non-flight positions, aka the pilots were moving

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maybe we should stop hiring windowlickers to do national security

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good av material IMO

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ponderous Saxon posted:

Could someone explain to a non-US goon why this poo poo is allowed to happen in a non-conscripted army?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

I don't know, about 1 second in, that chase video went the direction I was hoping.

I used to think that movies set in South Africa where there's a 80 MPH high speed chase with gunfire through slums were just Hollywood things, but apparently not

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brown Moses posted:

No, I wouldn't want to either, I don't want to profit from his death or the material he produced. I get paid well enough for bellingcat now thanks to grants and the various training and consultancies I do, plus I just wanted the epic story of Caro published somewhere

It's more depressing than epic. So like, a Homerian epic I guess.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only worked with newer equipment and software in my job, thankfully. It was nice being able to google problems when our systems NCO would demand one of us younger dudes use our extensive gaming knowledge to magically fix the phones or the recorder or the LMR controller or whatever.

But on the other hand, obscure proprietary software running on Windows 7 means there's like 40 different reasons our phone recorder or whatever would randomly crash and wipe the config files, which made me wish sometimes we really did use some ancient piece of poo poo with a 30 pound detailed manual.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

death to new wave

:staredog:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone put my CAC in a jar of peanut butter once after I left after a 16 hour shift and forgot it. I just wanted to get a burger off base. :(

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That stretch of 50 is the worst. There's always something wrong with the road, whether rockfall, ice, or hugeass potholes from the loving logging trucks. Very scenic though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look, formations worked great for all of human history! We're not gonna let automatic firearms and over-the-horizon weapon systems get in the way of that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The 50's future soldier thing pretty much just looks like prototype MOPP gear, except for the goofy rear end sight and goggles I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No wonder it's a piece of poo poo. They jinxed it with the patch.

• Locked thread