Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Sjurygg posted:

Maybe some poo poo in the liquid. Like, if you use water with acid in it for example. Should be lamp oil or similar for machine parts.

I had an M2 give me the blues once, extractor arm was a lovely Turkish cast that cracked :staredog: Had one spare for the remaining five days of ex. Maybe a ghetto tempering would've been the trick.

Oh yeah and that one time - but this was the turret's fault - one of them emptied 100 rounds of Raufoss ammo at a 45 degree angle because the solenoid actuating the side trigger got stuck and the gun fired immediately when loaded :stare: :stonk: :stonklol: I wonder where all those went.

We routinely wreck ours because the deck plates the mounts are bolted to aren't rigid enough. The recoil makes the entire mount resonate so a long burst will go
bam - bam - bam - bambambambam - bam - bam - bam - bambambambam. This makes the pin locking the inserter in place pop off, so when you reload and slam the lid shut you'll break the spring-rod that drives the inserter back, or when you open the lid all the bits in the lid pop out and go tink-tink-splash over the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah, nice and low on the windshield. Short range but still. I don't which car that is, but one car actually intercepted them after the fact, and had to retreat under fire.

Probably this one:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Accretionist posted:

'It's kind of like the game 'The Floor is Lava' but with subtle differences'

Where's the 'after' picture when the sink comes off the wall?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Bored soldiers.jpg
There's a green lightstick in his dick, but the flash washed it out.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

If you build it, they will come.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

One of our boats was a testbed for this (protector RWS) for a while, here's the inside console.
Nothing like mechanical toggles with lables like GUN ARM and BATTLE OVERRIDE on them. :fap:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Daktari posted:

Should be. Norway has/had those.

That picture is from 1991 or earlier, so definitely 1s (they've got the monogram of king Olav the fifth on their berets and he died during gulf war 1)

We've got 2A4s now.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Justufinhaamu posted:

Seen the picture before and its a Finnish ship, cant remember if it was Ilmarinen or its sister ship, Väinämöinen in that picture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_coastal_defence_ship_Ilmarinen

Jeez, 10" guns on a 4000 ton ship. That's impressive.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

They made them better back in the days.

Mid-air collision, planes became interlocked but the contraption was still controllable with the control surfaces of the upper plane and the engines of the lower.
Successful belly landing, no fatalities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Brocklesby_mid-air_collision

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

SirDrinksAlot posted:

What the gently caress is that

An extremely thorough :suicide:

http://www.viralnova.com/suicide-helmet/

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

CMD598 posted:

I'm sure they're saving it for a full on CV.

Taiho II, Motto: "This time with actual damage control."

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

I interrupt m,y poo poo posting to bring you news that the latest Hardcore History Blueprint for Armageddon VI is out on RSS and on the main page of Dan Carlin's website but it doesn't have its own page yet.

30% listened and then my drat headphones are out of battery. Guess I'd be too drunk to remember anything anyhow so it's probably a good thing. Although I could do without some of the images he paints like the guy in a previous episode who was stuck in mud in no mans land for a week and noone could save him.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

moosepoop posted:

Someone having some trouble in the Swedish "navy" atm :v:

Bopp
___\

Do you know it's run aground? They're still thrusting forward, and pushing against various pieces of geography is kinda the whole point of a cb90.
That actually looks like a sweet landing site, with the pillar locking it in place and the rocks at perfect height for the little green men to jump ashore with the bridge for concealment.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

monkeytennis posted:

God they had balls.

And massive superiority. If that was a full strike by no less than 5 squadrons it was anywhere from 60 to 90 aircraft less any that were hangar queens that day (squadron sizes in the raf and affiliates typically varied from 12-18 tails, starting at 12 and growing as the war went on). Beaufighter TF Xes had what, quad 20mms in the nose? (Phoneposting so I cant be arsed to look it up) well as 4x500lb bombs. That is a lot of 20mm against unarmoured targets, and a lot of targets for the AA gunners to focus on. If the strike was 60 aircraft that's just a 5% loss rate, not bad at all for a wwii opposed strike.

E: whoops, 4 squadrons, so 'just' 48-72 aircraft nominal strenght.

Caconym fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 11, 2015

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Richard Bong posted:

They may have had numbers and weapons but putting your aircraft 50m above some AAA takes some loving balls. Even a .30 Cal can ventilate something pretty good at that range.

Oh, definitely. The loss rate through ops losses (non combat mishaps of all kinds) alone in wwii was 1-2% I think, so just getting airborne time and time again took some balls.

Another E, because gently caress it: According to wikipedia RAF Bomber command aircrew suffered a 44,4% death rate in WWII, that was with a tour of duty consisting of 30 sorties over Germany or 60 over France. For comparison that is a higher death rate than WWI infantry officers.

Caconym fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 11, 2015

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

iyaayas01 posted:

One minor quibble...the Commonwealth units who were performing low level maritime strikes like that in Europe would've been assigned to RAF Coastal Command, not Bomber Command.

Yeah, or Fighter Command. North Coates strike wings were even under Second Tactical Air Force from 1943, but I couldn't find actual aircrew loss rates for anyone but Bomber Command. :sh:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Kawasaki Nun posted:

That sounds very wrong. 220 amps is a lot of electricity for a wall socket. Granted I'm not an Australian but that kind of amperage would trip a lot of breakers / blow a lot of fuses for hotel loads

"Amps, not volts", refers to what kills you.

Also here's the US Navy electrician who killed himself with a 9V battery.
http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Modern counter-battery is scary as gently caress.

As much as I like the Triple 7, I don't have high hopes for my battery if the balloon goes up.

The poo poo the Russians were able to do to the Ukrainian artillery park is pretty frightening. MRLS coming down within minutes of the Ukrainians opening up.

This has been the case for a long time though. I was never arty, but a classmate of mine was a loader on a Norwegian Army M109 back in 1999, and all they ever drilled was six rounds rapid and bug the gently caress out. Another classmate was a forward artillery controller, and they hardly ever drilled spotting as time for corrective spotting was regarded as a pipe dream.
Then they were all given laser pointers and converted to forward air controllers instead. :v:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

Saved 70 civilians and a dozen Kurdish fighters.

:catstare:
So what's an enlisted man gotta do to get a silver star or higher in that mans armed forces?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

M'allah.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

quote:

The futility of the action and its reckless bravery prompted the French Marshal Pierre Bosquet to state "C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre." ("It is magnificent, but it is not war.")

The soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Thump! posted:

Because the Marines accepts some really dumb people and promotes them and this is those dumb people's idea of "discipline".

Also those peoples ludicrous idea of acceptable standards for a footpath, and nobody with authority is gonna okay the use of actual money to clean the gravel.

My hypothesis is that a lot of stupid military traditions started as NCOs with actual OCD who had the manpower to enforce their hangups.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

They apparently use a lot of different ones. Like rounds to knock down walls and hit the guys inside. :sweden:

Friend of mine was in NorBat in Lebanon in the 80s and mistook a smoke round for a star shell in the dark.
So they fired and waited for the flare to light to see who was sneaking about Hezbollah highway that night, but nothing happened. And then they heard the air raid sirens from the Israeli side where the shell had landed and been mistaken for a gas grenade. :v:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Dilettante. posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Sussex spent 1944 in the Pacific, and covered operations in the Netherlands East Indies following the cessation of hostilities. On 26 July 1945 her Task Force was attacked by two attack bombers acting as "Kamikaze" suicide weapons. One made an imprint on the side of the HMS Sussex, from which it could be identified as a Mitsubishi Ki-51 "Sonia".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

Can someone explain this one to me? The comms officer thinking the pilot did a good job?

Yes, he will grudgingly agree to let the pilot live another day it seems.

• Locked thread